Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

I thought his comment about “not being a basic footballer like everyone else” was a nice insight to his personality.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

piffdog wrote:I thought his comment about “not being a basic footballer like everyone else” was a nice insight to his personality.
It was certainly an insight but can be taken two ways.

I'm hoping he meant the nicer way.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

piffdog wrote:I thought his comment about “not being a basic footballer like everyone else” was a nice insight to his personality.
Is that a claim that he should be treated differently to other members of our team? Ginnivan certainly has issues to work on. Hopefully he acknowledges that and can improve himself.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Jack has never said he wants to leave, ever, Sam Edmond said its all total crap, hes staying a magpie.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

I've only seen @tombrowwne (double w) ie: fake account talk about Ginny. Jen has spoken to journos Ralph and Peter Ryan and both say no club has even enquired about the lad, that could change I guess, I notice Brockman is dead set on getting to Freo somehow, but you'd have thought other clubs would have smelt blood in the water by now if it was really on.
Flagpies
makri
Been liked: 2 times

Post by makri »

Kingsofclutch wrote:I've only seen @tombrowwne (double w) ie: fake account talk about Ginny. Jen has spoken to journos Ralph and Peter Ryan and both say no club has even enquired about the lad, that could change I guess, I notice Brockman is dead set on getting to Freo somehow, but you'd have thought other clubs would have smelt blood in the water by now if it was really on.
Yep, I'd take anything coming out of the fake Tom Browne account with a pinch of salt. He has already had Smith leaving the dogs to go to Carlton, had Clayton Oliver going to the Crows now Ginny going to the Hawks. Next he will have the Daicos brothers signing for Spurs in the EPL.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I have just read the Daicos brothers have signed on for the Spurs in the EPL. :-)
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Kingsofclutch wrote:I've only seen @tombrowwne (double w) ie: fake account talk about Ginny. Jen has spoken to journos Ralph and Peter Ryan and both say no club has even enquired about the lad, that could change I guess, I notice Brockman is dead set on getting to Freo somehow, but you'd have thought other clubs would have smelt blood in the water by now if it was really on.
I was being punked!
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Jack Ginnivan (sorry, I meant Ginni) might just turn out to be a really good player. But, he was better last year than this year and he was better in the first two finals this year as a sub than in the Grand Final as a player in the 22.

What I don't get is the overall love for him on this site. He has achieved a bit as a young player and he clearly has potential to improve. I hope he's not traded but if we got a good offer for him.....? He's not quick, he doesn't have a big tank, he can't play many positions... Why all the cheering when he comes on as a sub? I think it's because he's a "cult hero". Ok, but does he really add a lot when we have McCreery, Hill and Elliott in the side? Someone wrote that he gets under the skin of opponents. Does he? He's also been called a one-trick pony. I think that if he stays long term, he'll have to develop some extra tricks.
bally12

Post by bally12 »

^^some good points Harry, but it's the intangible footy smarts that are his biggest asset and set him apart .Those instant snaps with no time or space that go through the goals are no fluke. Or that play where he sold candy to the Essendon player in the goal square in traffic on Anzac Day.
He's still very young at 21 and hes got the chance to improve his athletic profile provided he wants to do the hard work...power, strength, endurance. If you watch him chasing he's got no sprint effort to mow down the guy with the ball even when he's 2m away.
Also at his height he could be an aerial threat against smaller opponents if he worked on his running jump marking. Haven't seen anything of promise so far on this front.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Yes, but as long as he conducted himself like first nations people (Bobby Hill), well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect him … As long as he conducted himself like a human being, he will be all right. That's the key.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

Harrysz wrote:Jack Ginnivan (sorry, I meant Ginni) might just turn out to be a really good player. But, he was better last year than this year and he was better in the first two finals this year as a sub than in the Grand Final as a player in the 22.

What I don't get is the overall love for him on this site. He has achieved a bit as a young player and he clearly has potential to improve. I hope he's not traded but if we got a good offer for him.....? He's not quick, he doesn't have a big tank, he can't play many positions... Why all the cheering when he comes on as a sub? I think it's because he's a "cult hero". Ok, but does he really add a lot when we have McCreery, Hill and Elliott in the side? Someone wrote that he gets under the skin of opponents. Does he? He's also been called a one-trick pony. I think that if he stays long term, he'll have to develop some extra tricks.
You answered your own question Harry

He's shown a bit as a young kid and also has room to improve. He's a cult hero due to a range of incidents he has been involved in.

They can't all come on like Nick, especially playing primarily as small forwards.

He's 20. He's got moxy. He's a natural forward. Get on board!
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Flagpies
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Losing Ginni would be more than losing a player who has demonstrated excellent potential in his first year. As others have pointed out, he has established himself as an inspirational player, who energises the Magpie Army when he steps out on the field. This year it is true, he was more sensational as a sub than when he was selected in the 22. We know that he shot his preseason in the foot this year with stupid adolescent behaviour, but he won't remain an adolescent - just like JDG did not. He might find a way this preseason to avoid screw ups. We would be very shortsighted if we did not give him the chance to achieve his best for us. Imagine what could happen with Ginni at his best, and the Magpie Army mobilised behind him.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins