Out of contract players 2023: Staying or Going

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Not sure about Bianco, still think he may have made it. ??
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

As per 'Farewell' player threads...

Collingwood has informed Trey Ruscoe, Trent Bianco, Tom Wilson, Arlo Draper and Cooper Murley they will not be offered contracts with the Club for 2024.

Source :
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... and-murley
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

So we kick off silly season with 5 spots (notionally - I know it’s a more complex than that with cat a/b, rookie etc). If Adams leaves that makes 6.

We don’t have the most compelling draft hand - how many are we likely to take (2?) and how many other spots does that leave? Trying to get a read on how this next couple weeks is likely to play out. Feels like there’s plans afoot, but other than Adams we’re not hearing many rumours. Well / there have been rumours (Goldstein, Doedee) - but they look to have gone another direction.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

piffdog wrote:So we kick off silly season with 5 spots (notionally - I know it’s a more complex than that with cat a/b, rookie etc). If Adams leaves that makes 6.

We don’t have the most compelling draft hand - how many are we likely to take (2?) and how many other spots does that leave? Trying to get a read on how this next couple weeks is likely to play out. Feels like there’s plans afoot, but other than Adams we’re not hearing many rumours. Well / there have been rumours (Goldstein, Doedee) - but they look to have gone another direction.
yeah there's a lot of time to waste in the FA, trade and DFA periods yet but we don't seem like a destination club as our No.1 team is pretty full. Why would you want to come to the pies unless we freed up some key roles.

A top mid, ruck, key position or intercept player wouldn't come for depth. I fear we are only in the market for fringe players with experience like Markov and Frampton. It might take for Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Elliot, Hoskin-Elliot, and Adams to actually move on before others seek a move in. Not that you can replace them like for like but will be hard to draft top end talent over the next few years if we keep finishing deep in the finals and the Tassie draft takeover sweeps through
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

I hope we rookie Arlo Draper, he sounds like a beauty without seeing him.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Presti35 wrote: W Kelly Gone but maybe rookie list.
Weren't you happy with his contributions in the games he was selected for?

I thought they were most promising compared to previous years.

Still, he'd have to hope his body finally comes good in 2024, or he might feel the list squeeze...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Pretty good vision OP
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Very interested in seeing what happens with the four uncontracted players remaining: Carmichael, Kreuger, Kelly and Begg. None seem certainties to be retained, but the word is that Carmichael is getting another year and Begg seems to be a long-term project player, so I'd be surprised to see either of those two cut.

There has been (and, until a decision is made, will be) a lot of discussion about Kelly, but the one who I think has really flown under the radar is Kreuger. I really wonder whether there's a spot for him on the list, given he's now been on the list for two years with barely a full senior game to show for it (he was subbed either off or on in six of his seven matches for us), and there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that anything's going to change on that front unfortunately.

Anyone know how many of those four we're likely to retain, in terms of the list positions we need to have available? And is it fair to assume that there will be further delistings to come?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Didnt we turn over 10 players at the end of 2010? Just a massive cull? Different situation, lots of older players that held on.

Seems we have a few players that didnt work out and we need to reset a few depth players. Not sure it will be as many as 2010 but still more than previous years...
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Wrighty did say on trade radio this morning that we would be very unlikely to be recontracting any of the guys who were delisted. I suppose that could change after the dust has settled but he spoke as those guys are done.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Me thinks its time that WHE wasnt a collingwood player in 2024.

I feel 2023 is his last.

I have questions over Cox to what the next step is for Cox.

We need a KPF and another young ruck.
Aged like vinegar
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better