Adams trade to Sydney ~ all comments

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Re: Trading our own - 2023 list movements (Adams rumour)

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

LaurieHolden wrote:The Adams discussions can spill over here until anything definitive evolves.

Was the outpouring of Adams emotion on GF post-match celebrations coupled with the knowledge that he'd played his last game for the CFC?

Is this an example of G.Wright doing what he does best? Making the tough list decisions.
What might we expect for a 30-year-old player with 1 year left on his contract?

NB Collingwood traded for Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn in a three-way deal with Geelong Cats. In exchange for Mitchell, Collingwood gave Hawthorn picks 41 and 50 in the 2022 National Draft and received pick 25 in the same draft. Ollie Henry, who was part of the deal, departed from Collingwood to Geelong Cats - so lets be realistic in our assumptions
And that was for a former Brownlow medalist.

We will get nothing for Adams, if he wants to go, Swans are tough traders
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

eddiesmith wrote:Tell Sydney to get $%$ed.

The whole point of Mitchell wasn’t to replace him but compliment him, the fact neither of them are reliable to play 25 games a season means we need both.
Took the words right out of my mouth, if Mitchell gets a long term injury, there goes the season and chances of going back to back. Realistically Fin Macrae cannot provide what Adams or Mitchell offer next season (maybe beyond season 2024 which is when he'll get the opportunity). Adams does have injury history in finals but I doubt lightning will strike twice and he's earnt his chance of winning glory in black and white (he already has but that's another thread discussion)
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Apparently, he wants more midfield time. I thought he'd had by far his best season at Collingwood this year, playing as a high half-forward. He makes terrible decisions coming out of the middle and is too fumbly to be a top-tier midfielder - but he had been brilliant bringing the ball inside 50 as a linking high forward. If he'd played in that role, Collingwood would have won easily. By contrast, if he'd played as a mid, Collingwood would have lost the Grand Final by 5 goals.

I think it's a shame because I thought he'd finally found a role that he was actually good at.
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill. We are in the window with a chance to go back to back and that should be attractive and a motivator for him. Throw in the club as a whole wants him to stay. If he wants to go then let him and in saying that, I now feel he will stay.
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

I think Sydney's second rounder would be good value. He's been a really good player for us over the years, but that time ended a couple of years ago.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote: there goes the season and chances of going back to back.
please...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
GreekLunatic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

Could you imagine going from Mcrae to Longmire one plays an exciting brand the other bores you to sleep
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

Appreciate his time at the pies but a 2nd rounder for him is a good result. Macrae an instant replacement.

Adams’ attack on the ball is appreciated but his decision making was often our undoing.

Fact is he didn’t play in semi and prelim 2022, neither the Prelim or Grand Final 2023. He’s been hurt when it mattered most, and in almost all of those occasions we persevered.

These are the tough calls that need to be made, and IMO the correct call is to let him walk.
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Sad if he goes but Macrae is a good replacement
Helps with the over 30 problem
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Great clubman and a real goer but I was often scared when he had the ball in hand as it could (and often did) go anywhere. If we can trade him we should I think.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Macrae isn't much chop afaic but that doesn't mean I'll be losing any sleep over Adams going to Sydney. Not sure if either of them helps our cause, I suspect the club is eyeing other options.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: Trading our own - Adams rumour all comments

Post by Piesnchess »

Newelly wrote:Sam Reid for a year to give a boost up forward.

He is made of glass like his bro, no thanks, pass. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Trading our own - Adams rumour all comments

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote:
Newelly wrote:Sam Reid for a year to give a boost up forward.

He is made of glass like his bro, no thanks, pass. :o
I was surprised he was still playing.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

I was sure Adams was getting better in his disposal by foot even his goal scoring was really good this year.
If we only get a second rounder for Adams I would keep him on.
I realise a second rounder for him is about the right market value but I would rather someone who knows our system, who is hungry for a flag and gives is all to Collingwood.
I was surprised when his name popped up for trade possibility and I thought if he wasnt injured he would have got his minutes in midfield.
He played plenty of footy in 23 and would be managed through the year next year to get to finals in good nick.
I say keep him unless he actually wants to leave.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.