2023 coached Pies, how do they compare?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Which side wins?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:12 pm

Collingwood 2010 GF
17%
Collingwood 2011 GF
33%
Collingwood 2018 GF
No votes
Collingwood 2023 R19
50%

Total votes: 18

npalm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

correct
Side by side.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Let's hold judgement until we see how we perform in this year's finals campaign.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

NB I wasn't talking about which side wins a flag, it's what side comes out on top of the four named.
I'm certainly not going early, 2011 taught me that. I just thought it'd make for interesting comparision.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Always feel we are firing and well and truly in the premiership mix early in new coaches tenure.

I know we did not win the flags in 2002 but early days Malthouse and Matthews 1990 we won the flag.

We are in the same situation now with Craig McRae.

I feel we are refreshed as well and i am really liking these early days with Fly.

Still early in the piece as in terms of the new regime but we are on the right track and on target for a premeirship weather that be 2023 or 2024 or even 2025.

We are in a case of sooner or later we will win a flag.

Liking what i see from Flys coaching and bringing out the best out of our players no matter how many games or level experaince thay have had. Its an accross the board type of approach.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

The team this year has done nothing yet until they actually win a flag. So it's 2010 every day of the week.

I hate to say it, but there are shades of 1970 in this Collingwood of 2023.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

npalm wrote:So many nicksters getting ahead of themselves. The 2023 team are going great so far, but it's September that counts. Let's wait and see how the finals pan out before we start comparing this side to any other.
Okay, now's a good time - how about now!? :P
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ They went OK, Dyso.
npalm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

piedys wrote:
npalm wrote:So many nicksters getting ahead of themselves. The 2023 team are going great so far, but it's September that counts. Let's wait and see how the finals pan out before we start comparing this side to any other.
Okay, now's a good time - how about now!? :P
Now would be just fine. :wink:
Side by side.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

I honestly think the 2011 team was probably the best on paper. We had such a dominant season with a group that all knew what they were doing after the 2010 flag. The irony of course is they couldn’t get past geelong that year (on all three attempts).

I think this years team is better than 18, but I don’t think it’s the best team on paper. The fact we were able to have such a season in my mind boils down to coaching - and there are two facets. 1) finding and selling a game plan that fits the playing group you have (not the one you wish you had) and 2) managing the collective psyche of the team to enable them to perform at their best - whether they are Nick Daicos or Oleg Markov.

With the utmost respect, nobody believes that Markov, Frampton, Cameron, Lipinski, Hosko are in the top echelon of players in the comp. BUT they are who we have and they have been valuable contributors to a successful campaign. Obviously you can’t have a team full of Nick’s or Jordan’s so being able to find a role for lesser lights that provide what the team needs is the genius of our current coaching and administration.

If I was a b or c grader anywhere in the comp, I would be putting my hand up to go the Pies in any capacity they would take me.

So while I don’t think this years team is “the best” in terms of the skill of the players on the list, I think they way they are coached probably shades 2011.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

[quote="piffdog"^[/quote]

One thing all those players, Markov, Frampton, Cameron, Lipinski, Hosko, all have is the self discipline to play their role to the best of their abilities. That puts them well above the ordinary AFL player in my book.

I think overall the 2010 team is a better team than this one (Though really I dont judge them, they are all our premiership winning teams). That team on its way to premiership glory crushed the best teams in the league during their final campaign, including the previous and next premiers Geelong by over 70 points.

It would be a helluva match (If both teams trained to a similar level). Would Moore and Murphy and Quaynor be able to really hold Cloke, Dawes, and Didak? I suspect Brown, Maxwell, Reid, Harry, and Shaw would make short work of our current forward line, but maybe not Bobby. I shudder to think what Leigh Brown and Jolly would have done to Coxy and Darcy too. The midfields might break even though. How would Nick go with Swan or Thomas running with him? Here's an interesting one - does Pendlebury play on Pendlebury? and a Sidebottom at both ends would cause headaches for the opposition hehe.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

2010 replay side was better than the 2011 team.

2023 is definitely better than 2018.

2010 just ahead of 2023, simply for the Cloke/Dawes forward combo that gives them edge over this teams forward line. Jolly probably edges Cox for ruck but the rest if fairly even.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

eddiesmith wrote:2010 replay side was better than the 2011 team.

2023 is definitely better than 2018.

2010 just ahead of 2023, simply for the Cloke/Dawes forward combo that gives them edge over this teams forward line. Jolly probably edges Cox for ruck but the rest if fairly even.
Cox might be okay until The Anvil tackled him a couple of times. :)
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

2023 easy
lanstro

Post by lanstro »

Too much recency bias imo. The 2010/11 sides have this year's one covered pretty comfortably I reckon. Forward line - no contest. Back line - 2023 by slight margin. Mid / rucks - 2010/11 by slight margin.

Or bottom few players - if you had to rank the bottom 6 players from both teams, I think you'd end up with Ginni and Framps at the bottom.

Which makes this premiership all the more remarkable. Came from strength of culture and belief, and flexibility in gameplan and on field coaching.