McStay-out, who comes in?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Frampton is probably the logical choice to come in for McStay. If Adams is not over his hamstring and is not 100% match fit then he should not play.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

I'm surprised he's out tbh, I thought he had more

mcstaying

power.

**** yeah this is the quality content I came back to provide
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

The one positive is McStay isn't a defender so our structure there hasn't been affected and we have our full compliment of players available to take on the best forward group in the competition.

Do we really want to mess with that by moving Howe forward from the very outset?

I say no but he might well be our best option if we desperately desire another marking presence in place of McStay

So we have a decision to make between keeping the same balance within the 22 or going smaller.

If we replace McStay with a tall I have a hard time believing it'll be anyone bar Frampton from outside the current 22 and I imagine our intention (at least at the outset) will be to use him as another ruck/forward option.

The added benefit of Frampton is obvious in that he can be moved to defence if the situation calls for it.

As for Kreuger the reality is he's been involved in 2 games for the season (round 6,7) and contributed 1 mark and zero goals from limited minutes.

He's kicked 4 career goals. Frampton has 7 this season despite the limitations he's seen as having up forward.

It's a no from me when it comes to Kreuger and to be honest after reading the Carlton game day thread on bigfooty it only makes me feel more strongly that the key to beating Brisbane wont be about replacing McStay with a lesser tall it'll be about matching their midfield group for run and restricting the output of half backs Coleman and McKenna across an entire game.

The way I look it all of Adams, Noble and Ginnivan are better footballers than a Kreuger or Frampton and as better footballers it stands to reason they're more likely to have an impact on GF day.

Yes none are talls but if you are satisfied we can afford to move Howe from defence and/or the rucks spending more time up forward is adequate then going smaller in search of more impact at ground level may well be the best thing on a warm Spring day.

At the end of the day whatever the call ends up being from the coaches we just have to hope it was the right one.

Go Pies!
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

LaurieHolden wrote:I'd move Cameron to the forward line, a good contested mark with sure hands.
Put Cox in the ruck, Cameron can still alternate or take the forward 50 ruck stoppages.
Noble in to replace McStay, giving us another defensive option on the Brisbane smalls. I could see Noble lifting for the occasion.
Leave Ginni as the sub.
Spot on!

but the Frampton idea has merit too.
Big selection decisions to be made.
Ginni can't get a full game, he must think it's his breath or something. :shock:
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Kudos to McStay since returning from injury. His power contested marking and 2 goals in every match shall be missed but ultimately replaceable. Selection is always based on "who" the opposition is and the Grand Final shall be no different. My thoughts:

Defence:

Keep it the same. Don't flirt with moving Howe unless as a swingman move late. His intercept marking has been elite again in this final series.

Forward/Ruck:

Start Cameron there and Cox in the Ruck with rotations accordingly

Ins & Outs:

Adams in (play as Sub)
McStay out (injured)
Ginnivan into the starting 22

Weather:

Warm day, so fresh legs required and one less tall.

Wild Card:

Noble for Lipinski potentially.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Take_a_Screamer

The Round so far
Kane Cornes selection ideas for the GF are good.

* Go bit smaller. Bring Ginnivan in
* Mason Cox more as forward
* Cameron more in the ruck & for interceting marks around the ground.
* Bring Noble in for Lipinski. Noble to take on the elite forwards of Brisbane

@12:30
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1039688/tr ... 5472385001

Riley Beveridge tip: Collingwood to win the GF
Ash Johnson...you beauty
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:The Round so far
Kane Cornes selection ideas for the GF are good.

* Go bit smaller. Bring Ginnivan in
* Mason Cox more as forward
* Cameron more in the ruck & for interceting marks around the ground.
* Bring Noble in for Lipinski. Noble to take on the elite forwards of Brisbane

@12:30
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1039688/tr ... 5472385001

Riley Beveridge tip: Collingwood to win the GF
I agree with Cornes. Sad but true
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I'm going to be ruthless and harsh here. Given Noble wasn't selected for previous finals due to a perception he has deficiencies defensively, why would you then want to select him for the biggest game of the season? I love him for his guts and determination but his tackles don't always stick and his kicking can be wayward. Also bringing a defender in for an outside mid (Lipinski) will hamper our clearance ability and against Brisbane's midfield, we are going to need everything we can get.

According to David, Reef McInnes is also fit now. Any love for our young developing forward?

Given Brisbane's pretty potent forward line, Howe needs to stay back, so we need a forward to come in to replace Dan. Using a ruck as a makeshift forward won't work and will impact badly on both roles. I think its either going to be Frampton or ?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Take_a_Screamer

Yeaahh, good thoughts...
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

I’d go for a smaller type forward. Ginni comes in to the 22 for McStay. Small forwards to pressure, need to ensure Coleman and McKenna don’t have a massive influence off HB. If Adams is OK then he comes in for Lipinski who is relegated to sub.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

Im not usually left-field but consider these forward options:

Reef McInnes-194cm and 90kg
Would run rings around Darcy Gardner who is a draught-horse.
has kicked multiple goals in VFL in 2023.

Trey Ruscoe- 193cms and 95kg
Has played forward as a senior player and provides cover if a backman goes down

Tom Wilson- 194cm and 86kg
A genuine mid-forward and is an excellent kick on goal.

Will Hoskin-Elliott- 186cm and 82 kgs
Is a proven goal kicker (40 goals in 2018) and has the pace to burn off key defender types.

Nathan Kreuger- 196cms & 98kgs
Absolute monster, but the big query is over his capacity to play out a game.
Crashes packs but either a) injures himself or b) teammates.
I think he is closer to selection for the GF than many would think.

Billy Frampton- 201cms and 100kgs
Has the size to do some damage, but, in reality, has not shown he can kick multiple goals in big matches. To me it would be a selection shock if he were picked as full forward or centre half forward.
I doubt the Lions would lose much sleep over Frampton wandering down to our goal square at the start of the Grand Final.

On a side note, I can't see Taylor Adams getting up- even as sub.

I would see our selections as follows:

Out: McStay (injury)
In: Finn Macrae

I think the game will be won in the clearance battles and Macrae adds value there- he will be sub.

The Hoskin-Elliott as a full forward leading hard out of the goal square is Plan A
If successful, it gives us a goal or two to replace McStay's output.
It also allows Hoskin-Elliott to be fresh to run out the second half.

In either event, I would rest Cox or Cameron forward later in the Grand Final- they will be significant if they can jag a goal or two, or, at the very least, bring the ball to ground for the smaller forwards.

Whoever is the forward coach must instruct Elliott and Hill that they do not have to go for a hanger every time the ball goes to a forward line marking pack. A crumbed goal is of the same value as one kicked from a 'Mark of the Year' contender.

If I were coaching, I'd run with this side.

B: Howe Moore. Maynard

HB: Quaynor Murphy Crisp

C: J Daicos. Pendlebury. Sidebottom

HF: Hill. Mihocek. Nick Daicos

F: Ginnivan Hoskin-Elliott. Elliott

Rucks: Cox. De Goey
Rover: Mitchell

IC: Lipinski, Markov, McCreery, Cameron

SUB: Macrae

Unlucky (McStay & Taylor Adams)
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

100% kruger.

Just beaks down too easy.

He plays the game pretty hap hazardly.

Kind of a dangerous player more for him then others.

Kruger has build up a heap saw him last week at training.

Looks like a beast.

But we need a full game out of him no use 15 mins in he does a shoulder again.

But if he can last he is a weapon.

Agree on corns for once.

Cameron or Cox forward with Ginny in and Noble.

Another player is Markov and a smoky McInnes.

I have full faith in the selectors have done a great job thus far.

Frampton is ok but he isnt a forward and kind of slow.

Hes a stop gap down back but a handy ruck option.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m hearing if the game Friday night had been the GF Adams would have played
Rumour is it was more cramping issue than any form of hamstring injury
Scans showed no damage and doctors think he’s magnesium levels were too low and caused the muscle cramping and tightness.
As long as he trains during the week he will be selected to play

This means there will be at least 2 changes
Adams in and a replacement for McStay

Frampton likely for McStay with Cox and Cameron both spending time forward and Frampton some time there as well and possibly used in forward half as ruck option leaving us the option to play Cox or Cameron a kick behind the contest if needed.
Bringing Adams in also leave selectors making hard decision
We will need bigger bodies around the contest to combat Brisbane’s clearance strength
So maybe Lipinski to sub and Ginnivan out which would be harsh but it doesn’t unbalance our structure which is important
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Not only have we lost McStay the injured Ash Johnson is very much the forgotten man.

While he would have entered the game with some reasonable doubts about his ability to deal with the pressure of a GF unlike Kreuger and Frampton he at least has some runs on the board when it comes genuinely impacting games as a tall forward at AFL level.

Hopefully Payne doesn't get up for Brisbane to soften the blow.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

Im not a fan of Frampton and can’t understand why some believe that he is a good replacement for McStay. Dan is a forward and Frampton is 100% not a forward. I would much rather play Krueger in McStays role as at least he will crash packs and create a contest.
- Side By Side -