Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I can’t wait to hear Caro apologise! If I were on Footy Classified I’d absolutely push it to the max.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Max Gawn is a top bloke and a great captain. He simultaneously defended his injured teammate without in any way besmirching Maynard. He also said that many of the Dees players had a great relationship with Bruz.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I can’t wait to hear Caro apologise! If I were on Footy Classified I’d absolutely push it to the max.

Mate, hell will freeze over before Caro, ever, ever, apologises for any damn thing. :P :roll:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Piesnchess wrote: Mate, hell will freeze over before Caro, ever, ever, apologises for any damn thing. :P :roll:
One can't apologize when one is soulless.
RudeBoy wrote:Max Gawn is a top bloke and a great captain. He simultaneously defended his injured teammate without in any way besmirching Maynard. He also said that many of the Dees players had a great relationship with Bruz.
I have high respect of Max and I'm in awe of his playing, skills and leadership.

Many years from now into the future, after healing, the Melbourne and Collingwood players
will look back on this event and still be friends, IMO.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Piesnchess wrote:
neil wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Back in the 1980s, a family friend, who ended up actually being Team manager at melb, took me as his guest, into the hallowed halls of the MCC, the Toffs section. My first though was, "what is a shit kicker like me, doing here with this snobby mob?", Never have I seen, before or since, such a total colletion of tweed jacket assholes, snobby toffy, upper class gits. I couldnt wait to get out of there, they looked at me, long hair, tight arse jeans boots, ( but with a tie) with utter contempt. Total losers, all of them. :P
For what its worth its probably not the only time people have looked at you with utter contempt :shock:

Thanks for the nasty cheap shot, what the **** brought that on, sunshine ??
Was a joke
I have been to Carlscums home ground and they hated me
St Vomits as well the day Greening was hit, they hated me
Been to Sleepy Hollow they hated me
Could go on
You have been there too and i'm guessing they hated you
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

Piesnchess wrote:
slangman wrote:As much am I pleased with Maynard’s verdict, I think the celebration from a lot of supporters (and Eddie) has been way over the top.
He was cleared at the tribunal which is not a rare occurrence.
Calm down!!!

Welcome back from the Planet Zog, clearly you have not seen all the hysteria, click bait, hate, nasty, posts on social media, and the Murdoch media, MSM, directed too Bruzza, was just appalling, what he copped, it was frankly unheard of, from Goodwin on down, Melb fans now sending death threats to him, just unreal. Yeh, I did bloody celebrate, my damn oath I did. :o
There was plenty of support in the media for Maynard so I don’t think that the hysteria (great album by the way
- Side By Side -
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:Apparently Gawn has come out and refuted the whole home visit sh!tshow saying that he saw the flowers go into the vase and the wine into the wine chiller.

ONYA MAXY well played son.
Here's details about the flowers, and other things discussed...

Dees skipper Max Gawn expands on teammate’s health, Maynard’s house visit

"...There’s a phenomenal connection between the Maynards and pretty much everyone at the (Melbourne) football club, he said "

"...Asked by host Marty Sheargold if the flowers Maynard brought made it to a vase, Gawn replied: “I put the flowers in a vase ... I got a text later than night from Danielle (Brayshaw’s partner) that I picked the wrong vase.”
“I picked a pink vase, I thought it suited the flowers.” Still tongue-in-cheek, Gawn added he also put the bottle of Penfolds that Maynard brought in a fridge as well."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 13cf692013
Actual video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCwLXk4V_OU

He discusses Brayden Maynard from 4:05.
Gawn is a regular guest on Sheargold's show on MMM, as was Pendles last year. I heard that all this morning. He's a smart cookie is Max, he wasn't asked nor did he volunteer about whether Bruzzy got a frosty reception or not but seemed appreciative of the effort and did confirm that he put the flowers in a vase (the wrong one) and the wine in the cellar.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

neil wrote: St Vomits as well the day Greening was hit, they hated me
That sparked 2 terrible memories. The first was that bloody thug Jim O’Dea coward punching Greening into the next planet and the second were few feral arseholes in the St Kilda Animal cage threatening to bash up my magpie mate and me who were all of 13 years old
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

lazzadesilva wrote:
neil wrote: St Vomits as well the day Greening was hit, they hated me
That sparked 2 terrible memories. The first was that bloody thug Jim O’Dea coward punching Greening into the next planet and the second were few feral arseholes in the St Kilda Animal cage threatening to bash up my magpie mate and me who were all of 13 years old
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:The problem with the AFL is it’s run by lawyers.
Our President is a Lawyer and an Ex AFL Lawyer as well. :P
But he’s wisely keeping his head down and not putting his ego first!
If only Eddie coulda done that. :wink:

Sometimes on Footy Classified he's drowned out the ex-coach and ex-players.
Rex

Post by Rex »

The thing that still irritates me about this whole business is the AFL being unhappy with the tribunal’s decision. I get they were upset about the concussion. Everyone was, including Maynard. They should have been rapt that there was such a detailed assessment and a considered and clearly articulated response.
I’m a cynic and although I believe the AFL cares about head injuries they care a lot more about the brand and money and wanted to make a show of all this. I’m sure we all want less head injuries, but how to go about it? I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a significant knee-jerk blanket rule change that bypasses the tribunal along the lines of automatic three week suspension for the player that causes the head injury. Might sound reasonable, but imagine the following: a semi with 30 seconds to go and team A is down 2 points. There’s a high ball to team A’s goal square. The full forward takes a speckie on the shoulders of the full back, who cannons forward into his own team-mates head, knocking him out.
Who is responsible? The FF or the opposition FB? If it’s the FF, then it’s a free against and his team misses the GF. And all he’s done is take a fair mark.
I’m not saying this is what’s planned, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s along these line. Rules without finesse and without recourse to review often end badly.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Rex wrote:The thing that still irritates me about this whole business is the AFL being unhappy with the tribunal’s decision. I get they were upset about the concussion. Everyone was, including Maynard. They should have been rapt that there was such a detailed assessment and a considered and clearly articulated response.
I’m a cynic and although I believe the AFL cares about head injuries they care a lot more about the brand and money and wanted to make a show of all this. I’m sure we all want less head injuries, but how to go about it? I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a significant knee-jerk blanket rule change that bypasses the tribunal along the lines of automatic three week suspension for the player that causes the head injury. Might sound reasonable, but imagine the following: a semi with 30 seconds to go and team A is down 2 points. There’s a high ball to team A’s goal square. The full forward takes a speckie on the shoulders of the full back, who cannons forward into his own team-mates head, knocking him out.
Who is responsible? The FF or the opposition FB? If it’s the FF, then it’s a free against and his team misses the GF. And all he’s done is take a fair mark.
I’m not saying this is what’s planned, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s along these line. Rules without finesse and without recourse to review often end badly.
Yes and the AFL has been involved in knee jerk irrational rule changes almost from the day it took over from the VFL.
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

doriswilgus wrote:...
Could you imagine this sort of rage from the football world if it involved a GWS player? No, of course not.
Err... actually, yep. Toby Greene.

And if Toby gets a "Toby tax" at the tribunal, looks like his oppo get a "Toby discount". Sheesh, Weitering's a lucky boy to get off with a fine after eye gouging Toby.

Wonder if Carlton woulda beaten Sydney without him. :(

'Greene cheekily suggested post-match that Weitering “might be in trouble” after being banned himself for making unreasonable, or unnecessary, contact to the eye region of gun Lion Lachie Neale in their 2019 final.

However, match review officer Michael Christian assessed the incident as careless conduct, low impact and high contact, leaving Weitering to accept a $3000 fine, downgraded to $2000 with an early guilty plea. The careless grading was crucial because an intentional ruling would have resulted in a one-match ban.'

(M. McGowan, The Age)
Last edited by K on Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

K wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:...
Could you imagine this sort of rage from the football world if it involved a GWS player? No, of course not.
Err... actually, yep. Toby Greene.

And if Toby gets a "Toby tax" at the tribunal, looks like his oppo get a "Toby discount". Sheesh, Weitering's a lucky boy to get off with a fine after eye gouging Toby.

Wonder if Carlton woulda beaten Sydney without him. :(
Carltank, Melbsnob and the AFL are all very close.

All have their entire beings centred in their wallets.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️