Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

The Starcevich Coterie

Post by The Starcevich Coterie »

Yes, this is exactly the defence that needs to be made.

It was Brayshaw who made the split second movement into the centre of Maynards's path thereby increasing the impact and potential for injury exponentially. Unfortunately he came off second best.

Maynard held his line of movement; initially toward Brayshaw's right shoulder and over his kicking leg...
woodys_world69
Been liked: 32 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Maynard offered 7 weeks and a referral from the AFL on behalf of Brayshaw family to a Civil court on charges of assault.
The Starcevich Coterie

Post by The Starcevich Coterie »

I can't believe that not more is made of Brayshaw's movement into the central of Maynard's path of movement.

Cornes and Healey on SEN just said that they 'hadn't seen that angle...'.

Open your eyes boys. It obvious from the behind the goal vision that is freely available to everyone!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:'Maynard says he felt the ball hitting his hand during his spoil attempt.' So he partially effected a smother which was the aim of the action.

You see the ball deviate in the vision. Regardless of the result tonight it will drag on, I suspect the AFL will appeal if he is cleared.
Indeed, we can see the ball go back...and to the left. Back...and to the left
‘That’s one magic loogie”

‘There had to be a second smotherer”

(With apologies to the non-Seinfeld devotees)
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

The AFL and Laura Kane are embarrassing themselves here. I assumed there must have been credible argument explaining why Michael Christian was overruled, but it seems there is not.

Like every other business run by professional managers who do not understand the business, the AFL is showing the perils of being run by lawyers who have never played the game and do not really understand it.
lihei
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

Meredith1965 wrote:The AFL and Laura Kane are embarrassing themselves here. I assumed there must have been credible argument explaining why Michael Christian was overruled, but it seems there is not.

Like every other business run by professional managers who do not understand the business, the AFL is showing the perils of being run by lawyers who have never played the game and do not really understand it.
and that's the issue here.
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

David Zita wrote:Ihle (Pies) says many players who kick the ball at full tilt with their right foot go off to their left, rather than their right as Brayshaw did.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
14m
Ihle (Pies) says expecting Maynard to compute what the AFL has said he should've computed is "unrealistic" and "unreasonable".
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
13m
Gleeson: The duty of care is informed by what is reasonable, not the expectation of the remarkable. Maynard won't be found careless if we find he simply failed to do the remarkable.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
12m
Ihle (Pies): Athletes do impressive things, but they're still human beings.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

The real issue here is that even if he is acquitted he will carry the stain of this sht fest for life.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

I’m liking what I’m reading so far. A bit like a protest after a race, the longer it goes, the more likely is that it’s upheld. In our case, the longer it goes, the more likely Bruz walks. If that happens there will be outrage in some sectors but the good thing is we don’t play this weekend so come PF time it’ll be yesterdays news.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

This notion that he jumped and is to blame means that anyone going for a jump and mark is responsible for the outcome. Rayner, sorry mate, good successful mark, 3 weeks for careless conduct.
This might be the end for the afl. In all seriousness.
Last edited by Haff on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

jonmac1954 wrote:The real issue here is that even if he is acquitted he will carry the stain of this sht fest for life.
Unfortunately yes.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Damien wrote:I’m liking what I’m reading so far. A bit like a protest after a race, the longer it goes, the more likely is that it’s upheld. In our case, the longer it goes, the more likely Bruz walks. If that happens there will be outrage in some sectors but the good thing is we don’t play this weekend so come PF time it’ll be yesterdays news.
Agree Damo. I'd like to see this 'purple lane' 'yellow lane' they're talking about.

The Pies are showing behind the goals vision of the incident, with a purple coloured lane for Maynard and yellow coloured lane for Brayshaw, arguing Brayshaw veered into the Maynard's lane and not the other way around.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I hope old Caro is shitting her pants now, cos he may just get off.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

David Zita wrote:The Pies are showing behind the goals vision of the incident, with a purple coloured lane for Maynard and yellow coloured lane for Brayshaw, arguing Brayshaw veered into the Maynard's lane and not the other way around.

Purple lane. Purple lane.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Damien wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

You see the ball deviate in the vision. Regardless of the result tonight it will drag on, I suspect the AFL will appeal if he is cleared.
Indeed, we can see the ball go back...and to the left. Back...and to the left
‘That’s one magic loogie”

‘There had to be a second smotherer”

(With apologies to the non-Seinfeld devotees)
I think the spirit of Millane may have come hard off the traditional HFF and inquired about his father!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer