Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Complete Twitter thread so far, for anyone having trouble with the link above (sorry for the crappy formatting):
@DavidZita1
Brayden Maynard is fronting the AFL Tribunal, charged with rough conduct. Follow via
@FOXFOOTY
and this thread.
4:00 PM · Sep 12, 2023
·
Views

David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Brayden Maynard has pleaded not guilty to rough conduct.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Tribunal (has changed from first advised): Jeff Gleeson (Chair), Scott Stevens, Darren Gaspar

Legal reps: Andrew Woods (AFL), Ben Ihle (Collingwood)
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Angus Brayshaw went to hospital after the match for precautionary scans due to significant headaches, which were clear. His return to play time frame is still uncertain. Symptoms had mildly improved as of Friday.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
A professor giving written evidence is not available until 5pm to answer questions via a video call. Jeff Gleeson notes the evidence includes reference to Galileo and Isaac Newton.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Brayden Maynard will now give evidence.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Ihle (Collingwood): Do you remember the incident?

Maynard: I do. But it happened very, very quickly.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Maynard: I jumped straight in the air. I was coming pretty quickly, I thought I'd be able to smother the ball.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Ihle (Pies): Were you close enough to try and tackle him?

Maynard: No, I was not.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Maynard is holding a mini rubber football in his left hand.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Maynard: After I smothered the ball, I came and I looked down and I thought 'shit, he's there'. I sort of seized up. Next thing I know he was on the floor and I was just a bit rattled myself.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Maynard says he was not expecting Brayshaw to move in the way he did after kicking the ball, which was towards Maynard.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Woods (AFL) is asking Maynard questions. Maynard is getting testy.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Woods (AFL): It was clear to you that you were going to collide hard with Brayshaw.

Maynard: No. I did not know what was going to happen after I went to make a football act.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Woods (AFL): You turn your body to the left prior to impact

Maynard: Yes.

Woods (AFL): Do you accept you could've outstretched your hands and arms and cushioned impact?

Maynard: No.

Woods (AFL): You could've opened your arms and collected Brayshaw?

David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Gleeson: This is Jeff Gleeson the Tribunal chair, can you see and hear me?

Maynard: Yes mate.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1h
Maynard says he felt the ball hitting his hand during his spoil attempt.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
59m
Maynard: I think with all due respect, the same outcome would've happened (if he changed his approach while in the air). When I went to smother the ball, it was a flinch reaction. Like I said, he was in my way and a collision occurred.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
56m
Maynard: I just sort of flinched and tensed up. I thought, 'Aww shit.'
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
53m
Ihle (Pies): Did you consider at the time Brayshaw kicked the football he was in a vulnerable position?

David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
52m
Maynard's evidence has concluded. He takes a sip of water. His hair is immaculately gelled.

Woods (AFL): The AFL's position is that Maynard's conduct was unreasonable in the circumstances.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
48m
Woods (AFL): This type of contact isn't common. Leaping forward in the air with force to an opponent running in the opposite direction holds a key risk of badly injuring their opponent. It's a dangerous action to undertake & it breaches the duty of care owed to the other player.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
46m
Woods (AFL) says players should ask: Is the thing I'm about to do risking the safety of that other player? If the answer is yes, then you've got to be quick and think about a way to do it that's not going to unreasonably risk the safety of the other player.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
43m
Woods (AFL): Unlike in the ancient game of AFL football, there are times in the modern game where you do have to pull your punches.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
41m
Woods (AFL): A player in this situation who wants to smother, it might just simply be too unsafe to do so because of the forward motion and the forward trajectory.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
40m
Woods (AFL): He could've made a more upright jump and not push himself forward in the way he did.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
32m
The biomechanist has arrived four minutes early. He is officially better than any medical professional I have ever visited.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
30m
Despite arriving early, the biomechanist has been put on hold. This would be deeply frustrating for the biomechanist, unless the hold music is good in the Tribunal-verse.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
24m
Update: The mini rubber football is now in Brayden Maynard's right hand.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
22m
Woods (AFL): If he doesn't turn, there probably would've been a reportable offence, but it would reduce the carelessness.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
21m
Melbourne has just released a medical report: “There’s no set timeframe on when Angus will return this year, it’s based on how he progresses through the protocol and also on the advice from the experts around his concussion management.”
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
16m
The biomechanist, Michael Cole, is here. He is an expert in biomechanics and neuroscience. He is an expert in two more things than me.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
15m
Biomechanist: Once airbone, Maynard had no opportunity to avoid the collision.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
12m
The AFL notes the biomechanist says a young athlete might be 20-to-25 times faster than a non-athlete.

The biomechanist corrects him, saying they might be 20-to-25 per cent faster.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
10m
Biomechanist: I do not believe Maynard's body position at the time of impact can be considered part of any conscious decision.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
9m
Biomechanist: Based on the numbers and research, it's difficult to conclusively say Maynard would've been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
5m
The biomechanist says there's a 200-250 millisecond average reaction time for general population in a controlled setting, but is confident that time would be "impossible to achieve in a competitive arena."

He says Maynard would've had no more than 400 milliseconds to respond.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
1m
Biomechanist: Once he's airborne, he's essentially a projectile. He's like a frisbee with arms and legs.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
52s
The biomechnaist has concluded evidence. He is told he is free to stay if he likes. He makes the correct decision and immediately logs off.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

'Maynard says he felt the ball hitting his hand during his spoil attempt.' So he partially effected a smother which was the aim of the action.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

This sounds like a lay down misère for him to get off, AFL case is half assed at best, and the biochem is not helping them at all!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
David

Post by David »

Could be wrong, but pretty sure the biomechanist has been called in by Maynard's legal team?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

ha ha - keping it entertaining: "Maynard's evidence has concluded. He takes a sip of water. His hair is immaculately gelled."
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Ronnie McKeowns boots

David wrote:Could be wrong, but pretty sure the biomechanist has been called in by Maynard's legal team?
True, but unless they have an expert that can refute the biochemist's evidence, than the expert evidence must stand...unless the AFL Tribunal doesn't follow the general law of the land...
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

David

Post by David »

tbaker wrote:ha ha - keping it entertaining: "Maynard's evidence has concluded. He takes a sip of water. His hair is immaculately gelled."
Reads like actor directions in a film script. :lol:
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

robevpau1 wrote:'Maynard says he felt the ball hitting his hand during his spoil attempt.' So he partially effected a smother which was the aim of the action.

You see the ball deviate in the vision. Regardless of the result tonight it will drag on, I suspect the AFL will appeal if he is cleared.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Johnno75 wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:'Maynard says he felt the ball hitting his hand during his spoil attempt.' So he partially effected a smother which was the aim of the action.

You see the ball deviate in the vision. Regardless of the result tonight it will drag on, I suspect the AFL will appeal if he is cleared.
Indeed, we can see the ball go back...and to the left. Back...and to the left

David

Post by David »

More updates from David Zita's Twitter feed:
Maynard update: He is biting his nails.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
8m
The AFL accepts a collision of some kind was inevitable once Maynard was airborne, but challenges that the way contact occured was not a conscious decision.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
4m
Woods (AFL): Maynard does not simply flinch. It's a conscious turning of the body to absorb impact.
David Zita

@DavidZita1
·
55s
The AFL says even if this isn't a bump, it's a careless offence.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

think positive wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:They are emphasizing the "reckless" angle by the look of it. He'll end up with a week I reckon.
Should be nothing but like barryhall, a week we can fight
If its a week I think they should take it and move on.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ Haha. Gold Ronnie :)
Last edited by the fuzz on Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

I think that is a very, very weak argument from the AFL....awww he shoulda just flinched!

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Eff all updates on AFL.com, 18 mins since last update

think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
think positive wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:They are emphasizing the "reckless" angle by the look of it. He'll end up with a week I reckon.
Should be nothing but like barryhall, a week we can fight
If its a week I think they should take it and move on.
bullshit, no way, carlton got their captain off for worse. just so he could win the brownlow.

he did nothing wrong,

you have to fight that all the damn way
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!