Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

since Maynard was supposed to change direction in mid air, no question as to why the other player didnt adjust direction?

its an accident for christ sake
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Damien wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:What a $$%^%%$ joke, Lethal Leigh and Dermie, want Bruzza suspended, two of the biggest thugs who ever played footy, yeh, great players but bloody thugs, Lethal dropped a geelong player cold, Bruns I recall and faced criminal police charges, him of all people. what a total **** this is now, a bleeding kangaroo court now. Getting real angry now, real **** off bigtime now.
I’m saying this honestly, I genuinely think that Matthews and Brereton’s views are based on guilt. They look back now at some of the brutal acts that they committed on the footy field, many of them within the rules of the day (not all though) and they feel ashamed. Ashamed at the harm they caused and the damage they did to other players. Stuff that would today see them publicly labelled as thugs and outcast from football society. Stuff that was seen as hard acts by hard men to win at all costs. Stuff that now no longer passes the Pub Test. .....
I agree entirely, no bigger zealot than a convert, and you would have to be less than human to not regret some of the thuggery they conducted, and hence condoned and endorsed.

Was watching this clip recently, illustrates my point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97EYttnXWY0

Effing disgraceful
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Damien wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Take it all the way to the friggin Supreme Court, Carlton would.
Can you still go to the Privy Council in London. Just get it adjourned until November.
Not since 1986 apparently....
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

stoliboy
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

AFL outlines Maynard's alternate options

AFL counsel Andrew Woods is continuing to explain why it was unreasonable to smother in this instance.

"It's the speed at which the leap forward occurs and the fact there is no attempt to slow or make that trajectory higher rather than more forward.

"A player in this situation who wants to smother, it might just be too unsafe to do so, because of the forward trajectory.

"Other options that were available were he could have made a more upright jump … that's an obvious example where you could lessen impact.

"Had his hands come down and braced … it would have logically cushioned the blow."

- Michael Whiting
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

There is a new level of hate towards Caroline Wilson after her non sensical drivel she spewed out on Footy Classified.

I tried hard to respect her because she sometimes has merit but this has tipped it over the edge. She is delusional!!

She even tried to debunk Kane Cornes valid point of highlighting the fact that a knee to the head while marking should be looked at IF the AFL is going down this road of holding the head as sacrosanct through Non football acts, responsibility, duty of care blah blah blah...

<snip - let's just leave this here. Thanks, BBMods.>
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

David wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:This smacks to me of the time Bux was suspended on the eve of the finals for backtalking to the umpires.

The penalty for dissent was then a fine.

But they simply ignored that and suspended him anyway.

Never underestimate the malice for our club out there.
You sure about that? As far as I recall, the only time Buckley was ever suspended was for the famous "blood" incident with Cameron Ling.

He was fined $3000 afterwards for making a fairly innocuous remark about the tribunal case:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/buc ... duetc.html
Don't let the truth get in the way David!

robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

'Biomechanist: Once airbone, Maynard had no opportunity to avoid the collision'
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

They are emphasizing the "reckless" angle by the look of it. He'll end up with a week I reckon.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Hmmmm.......I'm with David.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I never stop learning. So now people can jump in the air, get a perspective on how things are looking, plan very carefully to incorporate duty of care aspects on your drop defying gravity enough to give you this time, make sure that you definitely have a soft landing and don’t let your body, hands, legs or any part of your flesh tough any opposition player. If you attempt to take a high mark, preferably drop the ball and avoid falling on your opponent at all cost. You could break their finger nails otherwise and you’d be hauled up in front of our very own Iron Lady The honourable Miss Laura Kane who will initiate action to punish you severely. At all times keep your hands to yourself instead of being bloody stupid and tackling anyone. Always remember to keep Miss Kane happy and content so that she doesn’t need to use your case to hang her hat on the AFL ladder climb. From now on this will be AFL footy life
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Live updates from the hearing here: https://twitter.com/DavidZita1/status/1 ... 8192201936

(I think with the new Twitter you have to log in to see replies, i.e. the live updates posted underneath this first post.)
Last edited by David on Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

Gerry Cooper wrote:They are emphasizing the "reckless" angle by the look of it. He'll end up with a week I reckon.
Should be nothing but like barryhall, a week we can fight
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

N. Riewoldt and J. Brown took 2 mark of the year winners running back with the flight of the ball, leaping to mark it on their chest and all the while opponents were rushing at them from the opposite direction.

That could have ended in a similar outcome.

I don't really see the distinction between leaping in desperation to smother a ball and leaping with a desire to mark it.

It was a footy act and an accident.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

This is an officially sanctioned AFL function chaired and adjudged by participants hand picked by the AFL.

Anyone expecting actual common sense or worse legal sense is bound to be bitterly disappointed.