Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

jonmac1954 wrote:I'm not kidding here - if I was just a casual AFL watcher instead of a lifelong supporter I would simply walk away.

I'm eternally tired of this rubbish.
I have friends/relatives involved in AFL at various levels and some of them are just about ready to go work for/support local footy.
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

The main debate with this whole incident is about Maynard’s duty of care towards Brayshaw.
If that’s the case, where was Rayners duty of care when he concussed Ryan a few weeks back??
Ryan has been in concussion protocols since then which indicates the level of severity from Rayners knee to the back of the head.
- Side By Side -
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We have too many lawyers in top AFL positions who only think in monetary terms and litigation/compensation. They should be creating supported career paths in coaching, sports medicine, fitness, administration etc for concussion prone players whose only alternatives is lawsuit compensation to ensure financial security if they have to quit footy. It’s a failure of the AFL to not think of alternatives for players. Concussion prone players play on mainly for the love of playing and they’d worked so hard to get to this level, but also because of financial security. Give them the option and I reckon some would gladly retire early and take the career support. But no, these private school educated lawyers can’t think laterally. FFS, if they can gift cushy media jobs?to certain ex-players with questionable pasts who can’t mumble their way out of a Stallone movie, then they can sure as hell get ABI-risk players out of footy early before they exacerbate their head injuries even further by playing on, and into a secure career path. Brayshaw should not be playing one of the hardest contact sports in the world if he is only one more knock away from a life-altering ABI. I’d say the same to Murph too.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:I'm not kidding here - if I was just a casual AFL watcher instead of a lifelong supporter I would simply walk away.

I'm eternally tired of this rubbish.
I have friends/relatives involved in AFL at various levels and some of them are just about ready to go work for/support local footy.
Mr M I hear ya.

And the local footy is deserving as it's still actual footy.

Not a stage managed world championship wrestling clone.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

The other thing that's being overlooked in all this is Bruzs mental health.
Trial by media and all the crap painting him as some sort of dirty mongrel must be having some sort of effect on the bloke.
I feel for Bruz whatever pans out here, it's just bullshit all round.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Skids wrote:The other thing that's being overlooked in all this is Bruzs mental health.
Trial by media and all the crap painting him as some sort of dirty mongrel must be having some sort of effect on the bloke.
Total agreement skids.

The poor bloke is copping it from all sides and has no avenue to reply.

Paint the target where it belongs people - corporate owned media.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I hope the MFC social media people get a whack for inciting hate and anger against Maynard for the tweet they were ordered to delete today. The abuse I’m seeing from Dees supporters is one step away from a lynch mob. If we play Melbourne again, it’ll be ugly.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

jonmac1954 wrote:Paint the target where it belongs people - corporate owned media.
And what about the ABC? They're the ones baying the most for Maynard's blood. Has nothing to do with who "owns" the media. It is a sensational story and the mdia are loving it - all of them. Period.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

tbaker wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:Paint the target where it belongs people - corporate owned media.
And what about the ABC? They're the ones baying the most for Maynard's blood. Has nothing to do with who "owns" the media. It is a sensational story and the mdia are loving it - all of them. Period.
On the contrary it has everything to do with that.

The privately owned media lead the pack - they always have.

The ABC has to keep up, and besides it's target audience is the 'toffs'. The same people that support Murdoch and co.
orie
Been liked: 2 times

Brayden Maynard

Post by orie »

I listen to a podcast with Scott Pendlebury. Jock and Journo and they were discussing this "duty of care " topic.

Scott brought up the situation that if he went for a mark and kneed someone in the back of the head, and they were concussed would that also be a reportable offence due to "duty of care"?

And if what was reported in the Sun today about what the Bradshaw camp believe...that he deliberately tucked the arm and tried to hurt,
THAT is Character assasination
Actually hoping the blues beat them now.

:evil:
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

jonmac1954 wrote:
Skids wrote:The other thing that's being overlooked in all this is Bruzs mental health.
Total agreement skids.

The poor bloke is copping it from all sides and has no avenue to reply.

Paint the target where it belongs people - corporate owned media.
Hear heare spot on, for heavens sakes Nicksters, get onto SEN radio this arvo, Bruzza is being assassinated on there, its disgusting. I just got on after waiting ages, finally said my bit. Like sore loser Goodwin, never ever have I seen a coach pot shot and declare guilty an Opposing player, the way that bastard did, I pointed that out. Plus , never have I seen so much trial by media as this is, its far worse than way back in early 1970s, the Greening incident which was far, worse, Greening was in a coma in hospital for three days nearly died, but the Hoo hah , trial by media, now, is far, far worse than what I recall as a young fella back then. Please ring up and defend Maynard, the number is 1300 736 736. Do its, its so damn unfair, how on earth will he get a fair hearing now. :o :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I hope the MFC social media people get a whack for inciting hate and anger against Maynard for the tweet they were ordered to delete today. The abuse I’m seeing from Dees supporters is one step away from a lynch mob. If we play Melbourne again, it’ll be ugly.
Is that the photo of Angus Brayshaw jogging?
Same photo that is the latest Age article?
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

LaurieHolden wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/1030791/afl-daily-listen-the-questions-that-will-define-brayden-maynards-finals-hopes
And the controvosy is generated by click bait hungry media
I haven't bought a paper media article since the Liberals sold the media to two megalomaniacs and I never will.
What exactly is click bait hungry media? Without a counterbalance, is that your only argument that's this is what is fueling this? Is there no opposing opinion on the matter?

People need to get over this notion of click bait media, I see just as much click bait commentary. Flagrant emotional tirades of what people think, as opposed to offering any considered opinion.
Doing so is as sound a reasoning as trying to debunk or confirm UFO theory. Tabloid style media is guaranteed to not change and hasn't done since the first tabloid stone tablet... :wink:
Media simply has more reach to the masses than it ever has and as a result more chances to land a bite.

You have the choice though of what you read and absorb in order to proffer considered opinion. Reacting to this tabloid or online social content won't change a thing if you continue to get lured in by the byline. My observation is people get frustrated when their tunnel vision of insight gets challenged.

Maybe I need to move my comments to the VPT, but I'll move on from here all the same.

An old Yank power mad mogul tries to control all our media here, power mad, which iis why I have not bought the HUN or any Murdoch rag for many many yrs, and any so called newspaper. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

jonmac1954 wrote:Apparently MFC's twitter account posted vision of Brayshaw jogging at the club and then was quickly taken down.

Pathetic whiners.

Thats good yes, for him , but what about Maynards mental health, what space is he in now ?? The trial by media on SEN, Caro, the HUN, shock jocks has been disgusting, and we need to take action. Like SEN, ring em up an defend him, as I did just before, no. is 1300 736 736, do it. :?:

Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Dark Beanie wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:I hope the MFC social media people get a whack for inciting hate and anger against Maynard for the tweet they were ordered to delete today. The abuse I’m seeing from Dees supporters is one step away from a lynch mob. If we play Melbourne again, it’ll be ugly.
Is that the photo of Angus Brayshaw jogging?
Same photo that is the latest Age article?
Nah wires crossed. I was told it was Maynard and they deleted it. Probably bs