Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

pietillidie wrote:
You can't suddenly penalise someone playing within the known rules and norms of the game, FFS, which is why he will surely win on appeal or at court.
Your entire post was so well reasoned, but I have just picked out this point in particular. Basically, if Bruzzy is penalized, it implies that the AFL altered its rules 5 minutes into the game, which would make the penalty "illegal".
As you say, this element in itself should prevail if/when it goes to appeal and/or court.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ One of the guiding principles of the Tribunal system are:
>To promote appropriate outcomes by processing lower-level offences via the MRO, and higher-level offences via the Tribunal;
>Following the review of each report or referral, the MRO in conjunction with the AFL General Manager Football Operations will determine whether a Player is to be charged with a Reportable Offence. Once charged, if a Player elects to contest a charge at the Tribunal, the formal request and process will be managed by the AFL Legal Department.
>The Tribunal will determine the appropriate sanction for the ultimate Reportable Offence it finds a Player to have committed (if any). The outcome of the hearing will be communicated by the Tribunal Chairperson with a verbal explanation outlining the reasons for the decision, developed in conjunction with the Jury members.
>For challenges to financial sanctions, the charged Player may elect to have the matter decided by a single legally trained Tribunal Jury member on the basis of written submissions only. A reason for the decision will also be provided.
>A Victim Player who has suffered harm as a result of the alleged offence may give evidence prior to or at the Tribunal hearing, but only with the permission of the Tribunal Chairperson.

Role of the Tribunal
» The Tribunal convenes to hear contested Reportable Offences, Direct Tribunal Offences and those Classifiable Offences which are sufficiently serious to be referred to the Tribunal.
» The Tribunal is comprised of a Chairperson and a three member Jury, except in the event the Player elects to have the matter decided by a single legally trained Jury member on the basis of written submissions only.
» The Chairperson manages process and decides on points of law.
» The Jury determines whether the Reportable Offence occurred and applies an appropriate sanction (if applicable).
» The Chairperson will communicate Tribunal outcomes with a verbal explanation outlining the reasons for the decision, developed in conjunction with the Jury.
Role of the Appeal Board
» The Appeal Board convenes to hear appeals of matters from the Tribunal.
» The Appeal Board is comprised of a Chairperson and two members.
» The Chairperson manages the process of the appeal.
» The three member Appeal Board determines the points of Law and whether the ground(s) of appeal is successful.
» Members of the Appeal Board for a hearing cannot be the same members that sat on the matter at the Tribunal

AFL and AFLW Tribunals / Appeals Board
Tribunal Chairs: Jeffrey Gleeson KC, Renee Enbom KC
Tribunal Panel Members: Michelle Dench, Wayne Henwood, Jason Johnson, Stephen Jurica, Richard Loveridge, Stewart Loewe, Shannon McFerran, David Neitz, Paul Williams, Shane Wakelin, Talia Radan, Darren Gaspar, Jordan Bannister, Scott Stevens.
Appeal Board Chairs: Murray Kellam KC, John Middleton.
Appeal Board Panel Members: Wayne Henwood, Stephen Jurica, Richard Loveridge
AFL Tribunal Counsel: Nick Pane KC, Andrew Woods, Sally Flynn KC, Lisa Hannon KC, Sam Bird
Tribunal Secretary: Matthew Whitaker
Match Review Officer: Michael Christian
Match Review Secretary: Hamish Anderson

The AFL can appeal the tribunal.

- Damian Barrett and Nat Edwards preview the Brayden Maynard Tribunal hearing ~
+ Nick Daicos nears end of 'close to perfect' rehab.

They're expecting a 4-5 hour debate. Barrett makes some good points. As with all podcasts / panels, the producers pre-load them with good cop / bad cop to liven up the debate.
The last sentencing that had this much controversy was Ronald Ryan...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1030791/afl ... nals-hopes
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

LaurieHolden wrote:^ One of the guiding principles of the Tribunal system are:
>To promote appropriate outcomes by processing lower-level offences via the MRO, and higher-level offences via the Tribunal;
>Following the review of each report or referral, the MRO in conjunction with the AFL General Manager Football Operations will determine whether a Player is to be charged with a Reportable Offence. Once charged, if a Player elects to contest a charge at the Tribunal, the formal request and process will be managed by the AFL Legal Department.
>The Tribunal will determine the appropriate sanction for the ultimate Reportable Offence it finds a Player to have committed (if any). The outcome of the hearing will be communicated by the Tribunal Chairperson with a verbal explanation outlining the reasons for the decision, developed in conjunction with the Jury members.
>For challenges to financial sanctions, the charged Player may elect to have the matter decided by a single legally trained Tribunal Jury member on the basis of written submissions only. A reason for the decision will also be provided.
>A Victim Player who has suffered harm as a result of the alleged offence may give evidence prior to or at the Tribunal hearing, but only with the permission of the Tribunal Chairperson.

Role of the Tribunal
» The Tribunal convenes to hear contested Reportable Offences, Direct Tribunal Offences and those Classifiable Offences which are sufficiently serious to be referred to the Tribunal.
» The Tribunal is comprised of a Chairperson and a three member Jury, except in the event the Player elects to have the matter decided by a single legally trained Jury member on the basis of written submissions only.
» The Chairperson manages process and decides on points of law.
» The Jury determines whether the Reportable Offence occurred and applies an appropriate sanction (if applicable).
» The Chairperson will communicate Tribunal outcomes with a verbal explanation outlining the reasons for the decision, developed in conjunction with the Jury.
Role of the Appeal Board
» The Appeal Board convenes to hear appeals of matters from the Tribunal.
» The Appeal Board is comprised of a Chairperson and two members.
» The Chairperson manages the process of the appeal.
» The three member Appeal Board determines the points of Law and whether the ground(s) of appeal is successful.
» Members of the Appeal Board for a hearing cannot be the same members that sat on the matter at the Tribunal

AFL and AFLW Tribunals / Appeals Board
Tribunal Chairs: Jeffrey Gleeson KC, Renee Enbom KC
Tribunal Panel Members: Michelle Dench, Wayne Henwood, Jason Johnson, Stephen Jurica, Richard Loveridge, Stewart Loewe, Shannon McFerran, David Neitz, Paul Williams, Shane Wakelin, Talia Radan, Darren Gaspar, Jordan Bannister, Scott Stevens.
Appeal Board Chairs: Murray Kellam KC, John Middleton.
Appeal Board Panel Members: Wayne Henwood, Stephen Jurica, Richard Loveridge
AFL Tribunal Counsel: Nick Pane KC, Andrew Woods, Sally Flynn KC, Lisa Hannon KC, Sam Bird
Tribunal Secretary: Matthew Whitaker
Match Review Officer: Michael Christian
Match Review Secretary: Hamish Anderson

The AFL can appeal the tribunal.

- Damian Barrett and Nat Edwards preview the Brayden Maynard Tribunal hearing ~
+ Nick Daicos nears end of 'close to perfect' rehab.

They're expecting a 4-5 hour debate. Barrett makes some good points. As with all podcasts / panels, the producers pre-load them with good cop / bad cop to liven up the debate.
The last sentencing that had this much controversy was Ronald Ryan...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1030791/afl ... nals-hopes
And the controvosy is generated by click bait hungry media
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^ IMO It was obvious from day 1 that this was going to tribunal.
I'm sure Maynard's legal team are ready to go.
I always predicted Bruzz being rubbed out and we win an appeal down to 1 week. Let's keep watching the drama, almost as entertaining as the finals footy
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

PyreneesPie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
You can't suddenly penalise someone playing within the known rules and norms of the game, FFS, which is why he will surely win on appeal or at court.
Your entire post was so well reasoned, but I have just picked out this point in particular. Basically, if Bruzzy is penalized, it implies that the AFL altered its rules 5 minutes into the game, which would make the penalty "illegal".
As you say, this element in itself should prevail if/when it goes to appeal and/or court.
The AFL has very recent history on this road.

Ginnivan.

They even went so far as to publicly sanction attacks on his person.

Despicable.
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

I feel more belligerent by the day. Screw 1 week. We shouldn’t accept anything. He was playing within the rules, executed an attempted skill that is permitted in the rules of the game, and he did not choose to bump. There is no case to answer for, unless we have decided to move to a real time in game lottery.
Dispatches from a foreign land
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

I actually thought GW’s comments were fair unless I read the wrong article? He’s just calling out the questions that will have to be decided at the tribunal. I generally like GW, best caller in the game and generally level headed.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

I have been constantly thinking about Bruzzy's mental health throughout all this drama.
He's a kind-hearted, loyal soul who plays his footy in a tough, determined way and he has been labelled by all this as a thug.
I am assuming that Jacqui is really earning her pay and Fly and his team mates are supporting him mentally and emotionally to the hilt.
In particular, I am thinking that his close mate JDG will be be providing much needed understanding and advice. He knows what it's like to have the media and football public condemn him mercilessly.
Please stay strong Bruzzy and never doubt yourself.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Apparently MFC's twitter account posted vision of Brayshaw jogging at the club and then was quickly taken down.

Pathetic whiners.
David
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Haff wrote:I actually thought GW’s comments were fair unless I read the wrong article? He’s just calling out the questions that will have to be decided at the tribunal. I generally like GW, best caller in the game and generally level headed.
I thought so too.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Haff wrote:I actually thought GW’s comments were fair unless I read the wrong article? He’s just calling out the questions that will have to be decided at the tribunal. I generally like GW, best caller in the game and generally level headed.
Sorry Haff (and David ), but I can't agree. On AFL 360, he insinuated that Bruzzy should not have turned his shoulder into Brayshaw and chosen other impossible options, which was just crap in all aspects. Bruzzy did not turn his shoulder intentionally.... he tilted his head up and away to the left to avoid a head clash and this motion in itself lifted his right shoulder slightly higher. Try it for yourself and see what happens.

He also labelled JDG as "unemployable" which was disgraceful character assassination.

He's certainly not past creating hysteria for clicks, just like the vast majority of football media commentators.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

jonmac1954 wrote:Apparently MFC's twitter account posted vision of Brayshaw jogging at the club and then was quickly taken down.

Pathetic whiners.
That’s really crap of them to do that.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

jonmac1954 wrote:Apparently MFC's twitter account posted vision of Brayshaw jogging at the club and then was quickly taken down.

Pathetic whiners.
Agree.....led by their sore loser of a coach who is rivalling Chris Scott in the ability to shift responsibility for a loss away from himself. :)
David
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

PyreneesPie wrote:He also labelled JDG as "unemployable" which was disgraceful character assassination.
When did he say that?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

The was a time - quite a few years ago - where media people were respected and actually produced informative news articles.

This no longer applies, they are quite simply the scrapings off the bottom of the barrel.

Right at the birth of modern democracy the freedom of the press was enshrined by law.

They are now taking advantage of this and slandering for kicks and clicks.

I haven't bought a paper media article since the Liberals sold the media to two megalomaniacs and I never will.