Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

The deranged response over something well within the normal physics and scope of the game, and latent in every high-speed aerial contest, is disgraceful.

The only good thing is the response is so outright mental and unhinged, the greater moral hazard by miles is abitrarily interfering in the game, in an entirely novel way, after the fact, in order to sate the rabid and shrieking.

We understand the head over the ball rule. We understand taking the legs. We understand tunnelling. We understand sling tackles. But no one understands aerial collisions. Absolutely no one.

I shudder, say, when Checkers throws himself into a pack, or the pack comes down on Jamie, or Jamie lands on his shoulder., or a forward gets a knee to the back of the head. We've entirely avoided ruling on aerial clashes because it's a defining feature of the game. We even dispense with over the shoulder and in the back for speckies.

Diving, desperate, aerial smothers have always and ever been admired and deemed inspirational. No one would blink if the circumstances weren't unique to Brayshaw, even if we all hate anyone getting concussed, let alone someone with a history thereof.

What next, the player launching for a mark has a duty of care for the heads in front of him? For the bloke at the front of the pack? For the bloke under the pack? For the bloke who backs into the pack? For the bloke who doesn't protect himself from the pack?

It's fine to go as far as we can without changing the fundamental uniqueness of the game, but this needs miles more thought and is best dealt with off-season in the cold rational light of day.

You can't suddenly penalise someone playing within the known rules and norms of the game, FFS, which is why he will surely win on appeal or at court.

The lowlife scum going at Maynard are another level of creep out there, while the thinly disguised reaction formation of Matthews and Dermie, possessed self-righteous fraud of Wilson and co, and Trump-level loser puerility of some from Melbourne, is something to behold.

Society is regressing to Medieval-levels of emotional discipline and judgement.
Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

pietillidie wrote:The deranged response over something well within the normal physics and scope of the game, and latent in every high-speed aerial contest, is disgraceful.

The only good thing is the response is so outright mental and unhinged, the greater moral hazard by miles is abitrarily interfering in the game, in an entirely novel way, after the fact, in order to sate the rabid and shrieking.

We understand the head over the ball rule. We understand taking the legs. We understand tunnelling. We understand sling tackles. But no one understands aerial collisions. Absolutely no one.

I shudder, say, when Checkers throws himself into a pack, or the pack comes down on Jamie, or Jamie lands on his shoulder. We've entirely avoided ruling on aerial clashes because it's a key unique feature of the game. We even dispense with over the shoulder and in the back for speckies.

Diving, desperate, aerial smothers have always and ever been admired. No one would blink if the circumstances weren't unique to Brayshaw, even if we all hate anyone getting concussed.

What next, the player launching for a mark has a duty of care for the heads in front of him? For the bloke at the front of the pack? The bloke under the pack? The bloke who backs into the pack? The bloke who doesn't protect himself from the pack?

It's fine to go as far as we can without changing the fundamental attraction of the game, but this needs miles more thought and is best dealt with off-season in the cold rational light of day.

You can't suddenly penalise someone playing within the known rules and norms of the game, FFS, which is why he will surely win on appeal or at court.

The lowlife scum going at Maynard are another level of creep out there, while the thinly disguised reaction formation of Matthews and Dermie, possessed self-righteous fraud of Wilson and co, and Trump-level loser puerility of some from Melbourne, is something to behold.

Society is regressing to Medieval-levels of emotional discipline and judgement.
And the media are running with it full throttle - Bruz is obviously innocent but the AFL will do anything to appease the media and lowlifes.

I can see this going to court.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Hiss wrote:The Tribunal has to set an example on the emerging concussion crisis in Professional sport. IMO the focus will be on the consequences of the unintentional contact . They will decide it is reckless without intent and Maynard will be suspended for at least two weeks, possibly more. I know it is a tragic outcome, however reading the room on this, a player rendered unconscious for more than two minutes is not simple concussion. The question will also revolve around whether Maynard could have done absolutely anything to avoid causing this severe injury to an opponent? Well only Maynard can answer that, but the role of the Tribunal is and must be to answer the same question. Nowdays the whole issue is much more than even intention, it rests mostly with the consequences of a players conduct. And on that basis Our bloke will be suspended. Sad but likely .
Spot on. This is the key, and I think the Tribunal will agree that it was an accident, but Bruz didn't do everything in his power to avoid causing such a severe concussion.

"The question will also revolve around whether Maynard could have done absolutely everything to avoid causing this severe injury to an opponent?"
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

In the end it's about what one sees in the incident. The new chief sees a bump and as she is on a mission to take out "bad" in the game, and she has power it's a bump! Dangerfield, Christian, Loyd and 90 of players and ex players don't see a bump but an attempt to brace. It's amazing that the other two AFL comissioners don't see anyrhing different "they are Crawlers" I don't like Bruz's chances.
lihei
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

All this bullshit about Brayshaw's 'brain scan' 'may not play again' 'career over' will sink Maynard. Then of course, Brayshaw rocks up in Round 1 next year.
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm starting to think Bruz will get rubbed out. We live in a media driven world, where perception and image matter most. The AFL bosses are determined to be seen to be on top of the head injury epidemic of our game. The fact that Michael Christian was over-ruled, demonstrates just how determined the AFL are to rub Maynard out - to be seen to be protecting the health of players.

I hope I'm wrong, but the AFL bosses have gone so far out on a limb to charge Maynard, that I can't see them having to publicly acknowledge they were wrong. One thing's for sure, our club should take all legal action open to them to get any guilty verdict over-turned.

Arthur Miller wrote 'The Crucible' as an allegory for the McArthyist anti-communist hysteria in the US in the 1950s. Right now we are witnessing sections of the media, creating a similar heightened hysterical state of affairs, in order to burn Maynard at the stake.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

The media are deciding this case, the endless carry on is going to seal Bruzzys fate... dogs!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1030747/ten ... ndrew-gaff
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Jesus Harry, comparing this to Barry Hall? That’s a new low for the AFL. Caro also equalled her record for a new low too, just pathetic comments last night. They’re too fixated on the injury rather than the incident that led to it. If the tribunal goes this way, it won’t be a fair trial and Maynard will get more than 3 weeks.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

I've been saying it since the Liberals legislated for two individuals to effectively own the ENTIRE media resources.

The media are effectively a propaganda machine in this country and it's an absolute disgrace.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

jonmac1954 wrote:I've been saying it since the Liberals legislated for two individuals to effectively own the ENTIRE media resources.

The media are effectively a propaganda machine in this country and it's an absolute disgrace.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

The closer tonight comes the more I think he’s gone. In fact I’m 95% he’s gone. I don’t like it. I don’t agree with it. But I get it.
I think sentiment has shifted to a suspension.
Another Collingwood flag tilt derailed by suspension.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I can live with a suspension. What I can’t tolerate is Bruz being painted as a villain who deliberately lined up Brayshaw like Barry Hall on gaff.

And agreed Haff, it’ll derail our flag tilt. It might galvanise us, but I doubt it. Get ready for opposition boos too.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

If we’re any good we should be able to cover one player.

But people painting this like some act of thuggery can get $@&^#
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

One Melbourne player told Maynard to **** off when he visited Brayshaw’s house, got heated. I understand Maynard’s good intentions, but I wish he’d stayed away and kept his head down. AFL’s been getting some very hot calls from dees and family demanding a big suspension.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

#Hysteria.

A media incited Lynch mob goaded to bloodlust fever pitch.

# AFL kneels and spreads for media.

# Nothing new here.