Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ Wow, that just shows the Demon’s true colours. Massive massive sooks!
Anyone who has met Bruz, knows how nice he is.
He’d give ya the shirt off his own back.
Some had to leave the room angered! Please!!
Show that heart on the footy field ya flogs.
All due respect to Brayshaw.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

robevpau1 wrote:Worth a listen by a KC. https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/i ... sioned-pau
Every one should listen to this. Gives me confidence he’ll get off. Get this guy to speak to our legal team now.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Maynard visits the home of the Brayshaws

Melbourne teammate left angered by Maynard's awkward Brayshaw visit

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/11/ ... haw-visit/
They're really dialling the self-righteousness up to 11 on this, aren't they? I mean FFS Andrew Gaff literally punched his brother in the face and knocked his teeth out and I'm pretty sure everyone (family and Freo teammates alike) was pretty understanding in the aftermath.

I can understand them firing up on the field when they didn't have all the details of what happened, but treating Maynard (who's apparently a long-time friend of Brayshaw's) like scum the day afterwards for what was obviously an accident is pretty poor.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Well it started with Goodwins comments after the game and has continued from there.

Part of it is deflecting from their loss, the other is supporting their player.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

the fuzz wrote:^ Wow, that just shows the Demon’s true colours. Massive massive sooks!
Anyone who has met Bruz, knows how nice he is.
He’d give ya the shirt off his own back.
Some had to leave the room angered! Please!!
Show that heart on the footy field ya flogs.
All due respect to Brayshaw.
Exactly, he called or text him on Friday anyway and if it were me I would have left it at that but he went the next step and it was genuine. I wonder what some of those flog team mates would have done if the shoe was on the other foot. Everyone is going to have moments on the footy field that they would want to take back but it’s how you deal with it that really speaks volumes of character.

I also didn’t miss the moment on the night when Maynard went to check on Brayshaw as he was on the stretcher and what do you see the Melbourne captain only meters away mouthing off at him, a great example he sets right there.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Lots of emotion on the field, not surprisingly words were said.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Leggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Damien wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:Worth a listen by a KC. https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/i ... sioned-pau
Every one should listen to this. Gives me confidence he’ll get off. Get this guy to speak to our legal team now.
Very good insight.
Agree, everyone should listen to it
Bring Back Tranquilli
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Robbo: Brayshaw camp waits for justice in historic AFL case

I really hate how those who want Maynard suspended frame it as justice. Ffs, he tried to smother the ball, not line him up.
Wow, Robbo was in the nothing in it camp
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Interesting how the latest article on SEN claims that Bruzza's visit was "awkward" and one Melbourne player had to leave the room, while Tom Morris' tweet the day before described the visit as ''well received''
I can understand how and why Brayshaw's team mates would get caught up in the moment: real anger coupled with grief that their mate is definite to miss out on their next final and potentially another, likewise anger and grief because of the injury itself, and Brayshaw's history of concussion. All of these factors are purely emotional, and rationality gets thrown out the window no doubt in the minds of young, turbo charged, super athletes bonded together with the team spirit we know the AFL competition produces.
Likewise the fact that SEN publishes such articles is again typical of the disgusting role that the media plays in heightening emotion at the expense of objectivity, making it that more difficult for Bruzza to get a fair hearing.

However listening to the interview with legal expert Paul Ehrlich above was very reassuring. Bruzza will no doubt have a defence making the very same arguments, and they are irrefutable on any rational basis. There are just so many past examples and precedents that can be used to show that the collision has to be considered as incidental contact, an unfortunate accident, and that if Bruzza was guilty of a reckless act, it was turning up to play the game!

I feel confident that Bruzza won't be penalised. I think in fact that Christian was overruled by the the new CEO was mostly for cosmetic legal purposes, but which will not stand up when tested on a rational basis.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Hamish Brayshaw now putting his 2 cents in……..it sort of getting out of hand now.

There are a couple close ups that could potentially save Bruzza.

Firstly it does seem as he does brace himself he actually appears to try to push Brayshaw out of the way before contact.

Secondly in the down the ground vision Maynard when he jumps to smother mostly holds his line and it appears Brayshaw after kicking veers right slightly toward Maynard.

Also the other thing to note was the head knock Brayshaw received from Adams knee in the goal square had contributed to him being knocked out for 2 mins. If Brayshaw gets up from the Maynard contact then I suspect everybody moves on after the down the field free is paid.

Obviously the end result is the key issue but did an earlier incident contribute and was he properly assessed for HIA.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

FFS! Typical Collingwood circus with the Brayshaw family playing the victim card, Caro playing the mothers card, talk-back radio idiots with their "legal aid" level credentials. How on earth do we expect an impartial hearing??
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Caro being a total <snip> on footy classified.

And he did veer right a little, which is the difference between a head knock and not a head knock
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

The Tribunal has to set an example on the emerging concussion crisis in Professional sport. IMO the focus will be on the consequences of the unintentional contact . They will decide it is reckless without intent and Maynard will be suspended for at least two weeks, possibly more. I know it is a tragic outcome, however reading the room on this, a player rendered unconscious for more than two minutes is not simple concussion. The question will also revolve around whether Maynard could have done absolutely anything to avoid causing this severe injury to an opponent? Well only Maynard can answer that, but the role of the Tribunal is and must be to answer the same question. Nowdays the whole issue is much more than even intention, it rests mostly with the consequences of a players conduct. And on that basis Our bloke will be suspended. Sad but likely .
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Should have known GW and his big nose was going to defend the AFL and demand Bruz to be suspended.

Those two wankers on AFL 360 have made something of this Maynard incident and GW needs to look at himself and how his voice influences the narrative. I dont care how you spin it and GW spun it as hard as he could...., it was a football act and maybe the AFL should be defending BM instead. Maybe Angus Brayshaw should not have been allowed to play by the AFL in the first place seeing he is so susceptible to concussion!! Did they think of that??

The fact that AB plays with his condition should extinguish in part his vulnerability to getting injured. The fact that AB is playing with a pre existing condition and puts other players at more risk of being suspended IS ON HIM and THE AFL!!!

Where the f@#$ is the player ownership of " I play AFL and this is what Im in for" ?

I hope Collingwood take this to the top if the the unthinkable happens!!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Johnno75 wrote: but did an earlier incident contribute and was he properly assessed for HIA.
I've wondered about this too. Were Melbourne derelict in not taking Brayshaw off after that incident with Tay's knee and assessing him? The Bruzzy collision may never have happened!
I would imagine that this question would be deemed irrelevant by the tribunal though :x

I'm thinking that bio-mechanics has to play a major part in all this. Did Bruzzy have time to do anything else except draw his arms into his body? Whately said he should've pushed his arms out in front of him or thrown his arms out sideways.
What rubbish!!! His arms were on downward trajectory after attempting the smother - no time to put them in an entirely different direction!!