Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

^ I’m confident he gets off but agree. Always going here.
Would rather not have this to go through this week.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

Laura Kane joined North Melbourne Football Club as a legal counsel in 2011, and in 2016 she was promoted to general manager of strategy and football operations. She was in charge of the club’s strategy, governance, legal issues, football administration, and operations. She was also the head of football operations for both the men’s and women’s teams and was instrumental in acquiring North Melbourne’s AFLW license in 2018.

Let’s look at North’s ladder position in that time:

2016: 8
2017: 15
2018: 9
2019: 12
2020: 17
2021: 18
2022: 18
2023: 17
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Let’s see Jack Martin get nothing
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

afisher wrote:The AFL referral to the tribunal is absolutely driven by legal concerns.
They definitely want to create a clear document ( outcome summary) that is evidence based ( rather than the tribunal decision based on a formula) to protect themselves from litigation. The real threat is from both the accumulatiing general concussion cases and also , more specifically from Brayshaw who could potentially be ruled out of the game at some stage by an independent medical assessment.
Irrespective of the outcome I believe they are legally forced to take this approach in either contentious or serious head incidents.
Whilst I believe Maynard will play , the AFL would only want him playing once they have the process and document from the tribunal clearing him. Clearly the MRO doesn’t create that.
It was, in this current “concussion “ environment, always going to happen
This makes sense
Haff

Post by Haff »

The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Let’s not make this a Laura Kane bashing exercise. We’re better than that Nicksters. If I’m totally honest, I think she did the right thing, had no choice; the outrage if there was no charge would have been a disaster for the AFL who have been so strong on getting head hits out of the game. Now let’s hope we arrive at the right outcome, with a thorough process that will satisfy everyone… mostly us.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Haff wrote:It’s a slippery slope. Does Rayner get rubbed out for a football act, taking a mark but knocking out Ryan in the process? Footy act, could have not gone for the mark. Very very dangerous ruling this one, if he’s rubbed out, the game is past the point of no return and will be more and more non contact. Only way to rule out head injures. That said, if he gets off, the afl will change the rule. Either way we are heading towards, if a player is knocked out, regardless of intent or action from the other player, the offender will be suspended. The AFL is done at that point and I’m taking up fishing.
What’s clear is that, at the moment, there are still certain situations that leave players concussed that are deemed accidental. What’s unclear to me is whether that will always be so. It may well be that there will come a time, and maybe not even in the distant future, where nearly any incident (short of friendly fire) that leaves a player knocked out will be seen as reportable.

People can respond to that by saying the game is turning into netball or promising to lose interest in the sport. But I feel it’s a genuinely difficult question that the AFL is dealing with in terms of how much room there should be in the game for brain damage. That’s a heavy burden when you’re talking about real young men’s lives.

One thing I’ve wondered in the past is why, if the AFL is serious about stamping out concussion, Angus Brayshaw-style soft helmets aren’t being introduced throughout the sport. Perhaps Thursday night answered that question definitively: it’s because they’re useless.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

has a tribunal date been locked in yet? I seriously do not want this dragging into the week of our next game, we don’t need the media circus.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
afisher wrote:The AFL referral to the tribunal is absolutely driven by legal concerns.
They definitely want to create a clear document ( outcome summary) that is evidence based ( rather than the tribunal decision based on a formula) to protect themselves from litigation. The real threat is from both the accumulatiing general concussion cases and also , more specifically from Brayshaw who could potentially be ruled out of the game at some stage by an independent medical assessment.
Irrespective of the outcome I believe they are legally forced to take this approach in either contentious or serious head incidents.
Whilst I believe Maynard will play , the AFL would only want him playing once they have the process and document from the tribunal clearing him. Clearly the MRO doesn’t create that.
It was, in this current “concussion “ environment, always going to happen
This makes sense
Haff

Post by Haff »

Mr Miyagi wrote:has a tribunal date been locked in yet? I seriously do not want this dragging into the week of our next game, we don’t need the media circus.
I heard Tuesday on SEN.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

Damien wrote:Let’s not make this a Laura Kane bashing exercise. We’re better than that Nicksters. If I’m totally honest, I think she did the right thing, had no choice; the outrage if there was no charge would have been a disaster for the AFL who have been so strong on getting head hits out of the game. Now let’s hope we arrive at the right outcome, with a thorough process that will satisfy everyone… mostly us.
This goes back further than the recent appointment of a new AFL Executive member.

Collingwood had their 2002 & 2003 Grand Finals affected by the suspensions to Jason Cloke and Anthony Rocca.

In that time we have had players not suspended who should have not played in a Grand Final e.g. Barry Hall 2005. Had players not charged or get off on ridiculous appeals.

I’m not happy the AFL has chosen to use Maynard as some sort of test case which potentially 1) affects our Prelim Final preparation and 2) potentially sees Maynard miss a Prelim and possibly a Grand Final.

And also how ridiculous that a legitimate smother attempt equals 3 weeks and an elbow to the face is only 1 week.

The AFL can get %#@$!
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

So last night Harry McKay knocks himself out in a marking contest, if his Sydney opponent is concussed, does the AFL send McKay to the tribunal?
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Cooney nailed it... "We'll be running around with hankies tucked in our shorts and when someone grabs it, it's holding the ball"
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Let’s just cut off everybody head and they can run around like headless chooks doing whatever they want.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.