Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

BBHS wrote:No idea what they expect him to do as he didn't choose body contact. Bumping is a choice. He's spoiling and he's supposed to adjust mid air somehow to avoid contact. If he gets suspended you take that all the way to the Supreme Court.

agreed

focus on the intent of the player who caused the injury rather than the outcome. Sometimes players will get hurt in the contest of this tough game.
woodsmen rule
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Haff wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Haff wrote:Can we stop playing the victim? MC graded it as careless. From there it was always going to the tribunal. Laura Kanes grading is irrelevant.

Long way to go now. Reckon we’re ok. Precedence to go on. Clearly a football act. Our damn president is a lawyer. We’ll be ok and Bruzz will be playing.
When will you wake up, Laura Kane intervened because MC didn’t think it was a reportable offence.

Go back through the MRO findings and find any other offence which Laura Kane is listed as the person who has laid the charge, go on, I’ll wait…
Where did it say that is what happened? I can’t find any mention of her swaying or over ruling. All I can see is that she graded it the same way as MC.
It’s the first time you’ll find her providing any grading whatsoever…The only reason for her to intervene is if MC hasn’t graded it to her liking.

Every media outlet is reporting the same thing, plus common sense says it has taken a long, long time to get a report laid for one match and the only reason that would happen is if there is conflict between the MRO and Ms Kane…
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

If we get to the GF and Bruz is not allowed to play, I give up. I say we forfeit.
He's my favourite player.
He's our Heart and Soul.
I can't imagine winning it with him watching on.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

The simple fact that the MRO was overridden concerning this incident which clearly has no malice or forethought is an absolute disgrace.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

eddiesmith wrote:
Haff wrote:
eddiesmith wrote: When will you wake up, Laura Kane intervened because MC didn’t think it was a reportable offence.

Go back through the MRO findings and find any other offence which Laura Kane is listed as the person who has laid the charge, go on, I’ll wait…
Where did it say that is what happened? I can’t find any mention of her swaying or over ruling. All I can see is that she graded it the same way as MC.
It’s the first time you’ll find her providing any grading whatsoever…The only reason for her to intervene is if MC hasn’t graded it to her liking.

Every media outlet is reporting the same thing, plus common sense says it has taken a long, long time to get a report laid for one match and the only reason that would happen is if there is conflict between the MRO and Ms Kane…
Ok I’ve read now that they did intervene. It doesn’t change much because if you think this wasn’t going to the tribunal you’ve not been paying attention. AFL has to be seen to be protecting all head trauma. That’s no conspiracy, it’s clear as day. Wouldn’t have mattered if it was Patracca in Bruz position knocking out Daicos.

If you must blame someone blame the money hungry ex players suing the afl for playing that game they loved then realising the real world is harder so jumping on a bandwagon to make some extra cash!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
afisher

Post by afisher »

The AFL referral to the tribunal is absolutely driven by legal concerns.
They definitely want to create a clear document ( outcome summary) that is evidence based ( rather than the tribunal decision based on a formula) to protect themselves from litigation. The real threat is from both the accumulatiing general concussion cases and also , more specifically from Brayshaw who could potentially be ruled out of the game at some stage by an independent medical assessment.
Irrespective of the outcome I believe they are legally forced to take this approach in either contentious or serious head incidents.
Whilst I believe Maynard will play , the AFL would only want him playing once they have the process and document from the tribunal clearing him. Clearly the MRO doesn’t create that.
It was, in this current “concussion “ environment, always going to happen
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

afisher wrote:The AFL referral to the tribunal is absolutely driven by legal concerns.
They definitely want to create a clear document ( outcome summary) that is evidence based ( rather than the tribunal decision based on a formula) to protect themselves from litigation. The real threat is from both the accumulatiing general concussion cases and also , more specifically from Brayshaw who could potentially be ruled out of the game at some stage by an independent medical assessment.
Irrespective of the outcome I believe they are legally forced to take this approach in either contentious or serious head incidents.
Whilst I believe Maynard will play , the AFL would only want him playing once they have the process and document from the tribunal clearing him. Clearly the MRO doesn’t create that.
So you are fine with putting an innocent player through the uncertainty and trauma *** in the middle of a finals series FFS **** so the AFL can cover their sorry rrrssses???

Sorry not for me, this is about the media stitching up Collingwood again and the sheep chiming in.

Anyone who believes there was malicious intent or carelessness involved please post what exactly you are on and where the fck we can get it.
Haff

Post by Haff »

afisher wrote:The AFL referral to the tribunal is absolutely driven by legal concerns.
Correct weight.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Haff

Post by Haff »

jonmac1954 wrote: 1. So you are fine with putting an innocent player through the uncertainty and trauma *** in the middle of a finals series FFS **** so the AFL can cover their sorry rrrssses???

2. Sorry not for me, this is about the media stitching up Collingwood again and the sheep chiming in.

3. Anyone who believes there was malicious intent or carelessness involved please post what exactly you are on and where the fck we can get it.
1. No but that’s been the world we live in for 20 odd years.
2. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Most media people (especially ex AFL) supporting Maynard.
3. Not many do, even the MRO/AFL but that’s irrelevant.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Haff wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote: 1. So you are fine with putting an innocent player through the uncertainty and trauma *** in the middle of a finals series FFS **** so the AFL can cover their sorry rrrssses???

2. Sorry not for me, this is about the media stitching up Collingwood again and the sheep chiming in.

3. Anyone who believes there was malicious intent or carelessness involved please post what exactly you are on and where the fck we can get it.
2. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Most media people (especially ex AFL) supporting Maynard.
Just plain disagree on all points. . . . . moving on.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

jonmac1954 wrote:
Haff wrote:

Then you're wrong. Point 2 is spot on. The vast majority of the media supported Maynard.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
afisher

Post by afisher »

jonmac1954 wrote:
So you are fine with putting an innocent player through the uncertainty and trauma *** in the middle of a finals series FFS **** so the AFL can cover their sorry rrrssses???

Sorry not for me, this is about the media stitching up Collingwood again and the sheep chiming in.

Anyone who believes there was malicious intent or carelessness involved please post what exactly you are on and where the fck we can get it.

Absolutely not Jonmac1954
Both players are victims here
I was just trying to articulate why we are in this position

For want of an analogy
From an AFL perspective ( and I vehemently disagree with many aspects of their oversight) It’s a little bit like taking out insurance before you have a car crash
And this is a car crash. The AFL can see coming very soon
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

What'sinaname wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:
Haff wrote: 1. No but that’s been the world we live in for 20 odd years.
Then you're wrong. Point 2 is spot on. The vast majority of the media supported Maynard.
Can you read or is it miscomprehension?

I said . . .

Moving on

Or are you one of those who simply has to have their say despite everything?

Last reply to you.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Haff wrote:

I agree with Haff, the media have overwhelmingly been on Maynard’s side. And I’m the biggest “the media hates us!” person here!

It’ll be interesting how Melbourne plays this. If Brayshaw and Adams had a head clash a few minutes earlier, they’ll be in huge trouble for not following concussion protocols, especially give Brayshaw’s history. I’ve got a feeling they won’t want to help Maynard in any way and will be wanting him suspended.
matrix10

Post by matrix10 »