Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

I’m in the "Ginni must stay in" crowd now 100%. Sometimes it’s not about stats or number of goals but the ineffable quality a player brings to the side, and Ginnivan brought that in spades on Friday night. Gave us some of the spirit that was so lacking in the previous fortnight.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

So clean, so instinctive and the perfect demonstration of why you don't send midfielders to do a forwards job.

Ginni might well not be as athletically gifted as most but the kid is gifted when it comes to forward craft, it's how at 19 years of age he kicked 40 goals in the AFL and why he kicked bags of goals as a junior.

He's a natural forward and that should never be underestimated or underappreciated.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ I don't think for a moment he wasn't appreciated or underestimated. There were clear reasons he was held back and he went back and worked on them.
The goals he kicked last year are exactly that, last year. It is about what he can give us this year.

We've got what on out-put to date is a great coach in the making, offer him some respect as to why he kept Ginni back. There were clear on-field and off-field issues that had to be addressed.
Ask yourself a question, do you think Fly and co can make him a better player, realise his potential? No really, pause and think about a considered response.

As Fly said, he's turned into our most dilligent and hard working trainer.
If they have got Ginni to finally connect above the shoulders regarding the discipline required to be a long term senior player, they're doing their job.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

There was a new aspect to his game Ive long wanted to see and that was being more of a team player. He hit up two great short passes rather than blazing for goal himself. I was impressed by that level of growth in him. It made him look more mature in my view.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Maturity is the biggest improvement in Ginni's career this year and that's both on and off the track.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

“Don’t umpire him out of the game”: Is bad reputation costing Ginnivan free kicks?

Kane Cornes has criticised the treatment that Collingwood’s Jack Ginnivan received from the umpires in his return game against Geelong.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/14/ ... ivan-free/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The hardest thing is the 3 small forwards all offer differing attributes that makes them hard to compare and see the best fit for the team.

Hill and Ginnivan both would make good tactical subs if struggling to fit them both in the team at the same time as they bring that burst of energy.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:“Don’t umpire him out of the game”: Is bad reputation costing Ginnivan free kicks?

Kane Cornes has criticised the treatment that Collingwood’s Jack Ginnivan received from the umpires in his return game against Geelong.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/14/ ... ivan-free/
Cornes was the damn flog who started it!!!!
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Post by warburton lad »

I have kept out of the back-and-forth about Ginnivan, but I feel it is time to have my little say.

* Ginnivan's best is certainly worthy of a spot in our 22.
* He certainly seems to have learnt important lessons from his spell in the VFL.
* He probably now recognises that 'sheer talent' is insufficient to keep him playing at the top level (a lesson Jaidyn Stephenson possibly failed to heed)
* Ginninvan needs to work on his pace and strength so that he is more dangerous than now- another small forward who tackles ferociously would be gold for this team.
* He needs a training mentor to get him to absolute peak fitness (Tom Mitchell, Brayden Maynard and either Sidney or Pendles come to mind)
* The very evident 'team-first' efforts on Friday evening were by far the most pleasing aspect of his game.

Equal credit to both Ginnivan and the coaching staff for the somewhat improved efforts that are being witnessed..

Floreat Pica
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Woods

Post by Woods »

One can only understand what's going on, and what the near future holds, if one accepts that while Nick Daicos is the Renaissance Man of Collingwood, Jack Ginnivan is its Harry Potter.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

I sincerely wish him to continue to evolve.

I wish the kid all the best and in the words of Fly “Be the best version of your self”
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Great return! Very pleased with his game on Friday.

warburton lad wrote:...
* Ginninvan needs to work on his pace and strength so that he is more dangerous than now- another small forward who tackles ferociously would
Strength is "easy" to improve a lot, but not pace. Otherwise, our midfield now wouldn't be "too one-paced" (Buckley --- he should know, 'cos it's been too one-paced for almost a decade).
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Forget about what attributes Ginnivan ain't got and embrace the attributes he has got - an instinctive goal sneak who gets in the right spots, knows what to do and emotionally connects with his teammates and the crowd. He's a winner and imho, exactly what we need to win the flag.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

If he has truly turned the corner regarding being emotionally invested in the Club, and not in himself, he'll continue go to new heights over the seasons to come.
It'll be a work in progress, but clearly one we need to persevere with.
Particularly given we've seen two other dynamic forwards in Stepho and Henry walk, we don't want another.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers