Treatment of Nick Daicos

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Nick is a rookie still who’s attracted loads of attention
His body isn’t developed or ready for this constant pounding of illegal tactics
Right. Simple then. He should never have been played on the ball. We can't have it both ways. Other clubs would simply be laughing at us. I know Carlton is.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

The whingeing and whining and victim thinking in this thread is getting embarrassing. Senior football is a tough business. Nick wants to play on the big stage so he needs to learn to deal with it as do his team mates. As I said earlier opposition sides only do this stuff if they think they can get away with it. If they know the heat comes back to them the same way, they are apt to think twice before doing it. That has always been the way, not crying about it, crying to umpires or taking legal action ffs.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
CPtechno12

Post by CPtechno12 »

RudeBoy wrote:Seriously, if our club publicly decried the treatment of Naicos, it would only make matters worse. He would be ridiculed as a cry baby who can't handle the heat of senior footy.

My only criticism is that other players should have been blocking and bumping the tagger, to assist Daics.
100%
blybo

Post by blybo »

I believe Nick's incredible start to his career, and obvious self confidence has gotten some senior players off side at times. I've heard a few players interviewed where they say he better learn how to deal with a tag, rather than flying the flag for him and help him out. Adams comes to mind in particular and I reckon I've seen him not give the handball to Nick running past even though a good option.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

RudeBoy wrote:
As I said earlier, my criticism is actually directed at our other midfielders for not regularly smashing his tagger out of the way. Maynard seems to be the only one who understands what is required, and he's not a midfielder. Adams, De Goey, Crisp and even Pendles need to step up and show some mongrel . Do that and our opponents will soon be 2nd guessing themselves and will begin taking their eyes off Nick.
Absolutely!!! :x
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

blybo wrote:I believe Nick's incredible start to his career, and obvious self confidence has gotten some senior players off side at times. I've heard a few players interviewed where they say he better learn how to deal with a tag, rather than flying the flag for him and help him out. Adams comes to mind in particular and I reckon I've seen him not give the handball to Nick running past even though a good option.
Okay I’ll bite. Could you please provide solid evidence for this claim? Otherwise it sounds like the crap opposition fans dribble with made up rubbish and I stopped being gullible years ago. Also don’t you get that this is a bad reflection on Craig McRae’s coaching that he allows this “attitude” to happen on the field? Surely he has more control than that? Nah, it stinks of rubbish.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

drivel : NOUN
nonsense:"don't talk such drivel!"

dribble : NOUN
a thin stream of liquid; a trickle:
"a dribble of blood"
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As I said earlier, my criticism is actually directed at our other midfielders for not regularly smashing his tagger out of the way. Maynard seems to be the only one who understands what is required, and he's not a midfielder. Adams, De Goey, Crisp and even Pendles need to step up and show some mongrel . Do that and our opponents will soon be 2nd guessing themselves and will begin taking their eyes off Nick.
+ 2

If I don’t see assertive play from now on, I’ll be concerned about that. Easy fix. A guy named Murphy used to play on a wing for Sydney/South Melbourne. Pull out a Video of how Millane played against him on the wing and how Murphy used to absolutely shit himself when Pants was contesting was the ball. Nothing illegal, just Millane’s total ownership of the space and the next possession. This is compulsory viewing. What a legendary player Pants was.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Lazza, if I can find the footage of Essendon hard man Ben Doolan touching cloth when Millane challenged him at Victoria Park on arvo I'll load it up.
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

LaurieHolden wrote:Lazza, if I can find the footage of Essendon hard man Ben Doolan touching cloth when Millane challenged him I'll load it up.
LH, I would love to see that! The strength that Pants played with must be replicated in our team. The players should never play without that strength.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

lazzadesilva wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:Lazza, if I can find the footage of Essendon hard man Ben Doolan touching cloth when Millane challenged him I'll load it up.
LH, I would love to see that! The strength that Pants played with must be replicated in our team. The players should never play without that strength.
Indeed. Although Maynard plays just as hard. Millane was blessed with a midfielders skill-set. I'll see if I can track it down.
It happemded right in front of me at the Social Club.
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I agree, but we’d get pinged and give away free kicks or get reported. De Goey especially after his last bump.

There’s physical footy and hard tags, and then there’s the shit Nick has put up with since Sydney. I swear the umps are upset Ginnivan’s not playing so they transfer their disdain to Nick. The umps just needed to blow the whistle, have a quiet word to the opposition captain before the game, and the worst would have ended weeks ago.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I agree, but we’d get pinged and give away free kicks or get reported. De Goey especially after his last bump.

There’s physical footy and hard tags, and then there’s the shit Nick has put up with since Sydney. I swear the umps are upset Ginnivan’s not playing so they transfer their disdain to Nick. The umps just needed to blow the whistle, have a quiet word to the opposition captain before the game, and the worst would have ended weeks ago.
...Did no umpire ever.

High profile players have always attracted extra pressure and physical play. Its how they deal with it that is the sign of their mettle. And if a player doesnt stand up for himself, why should his team mates? Peter Daicos himself never took a backward step on the field and I bet has some wise words for his son. I'm sure Nick will work through it but it's not going to happen overnight - but it will happen!

As for Ginnivan to a degree he's brought it on himself with his obvious ducking and cocky attitude about it. He needs to throw that out of his game and use his obvious talent to win the hard ball.
Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Name one other young player this year getting the shit Nick has copped. Name one.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Name one other young player this year getting the shit Nick has copped. Name one.
Do you want a tissue?