DNA tests and family connections

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

DNA tests and family connections

Post by Culprit »

<split from "The Voice vote" thread. Thanks, BBMods.>
stui magpie wrote:There is a legitimate number of people discovering Indigenous ancestry by researching their family tree. A grandmother or grandfather who was part of the stolen generation, raised white and never spoke of it.

There's also a number who just choose to identify as Indigenous because it's trendy and they can.
Many have discovered their ancestry by sending off their DNA. It was conjecture in my family for years. My eldest daughter sent her DNA away through 23 and Me and discovered a lot.
Now the ramifications of DNA testing are unexpected results. She discovered she has a Brother, yes I have a Son I never knew of.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Geez, I bet that was an interesting conversation :shock:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:^

Geez, I bet that was an interesting conversation :shock:
It sure is/was. I have communicated with the family. He is 40 years old which put me at 20 years of age at the time. I remembered his Mother and I never knew but she took the secret to her grave. She died of cancer when he was 6 years old and his Grand Parents became Parents again. It's a step at a time but he is talking to the Sister he never knew. We haven't communicated as yet as it's a shock to him as well. Had he not done the DNA test with the same company we may have never known.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote:There is a legitimate number of people discovering Indigenous ancestry by researching their family tree. A grandmother or grandfather who was part of the stolen generation, raised white and never spoke of it.

There's also a number who just choose to identify as Indigenous because it's trendy and they can.
Many have discovered their ancestry by sending off their DNA. It was conjecture in my family for years. My eldest daughter sent her DNA away through 23 and Me and discovered a lot.
Now the ramifications of DNA testing are unexpected results. She discovered she has a Brother, yes I have a Son I never knew of.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Omg. Mate. Whoa. Gees that must bite, missing his childhood. Hope it all goes well for you all.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

^^Mixed emotions. I'm angry but I am also sad. There's a lot of "what if" going on by all. I am sad that she never contacted me and after talking to her parents it seems she kept the pregnancy a secret for nearly 8 months. She lived with her parents who supported her and she would never discuss who the father was then she got ill and then it was low as a priority goes. He decided to do a DNA Test as he was pushed by his family. So on top of this, I have a daughter-in-law and 3 Grand Children. There's a shit load to take in.

Anyway back to the topic. If Dutton says the YES vote is bad, it's enough to convince me to vote YES.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Bloody hell. That is a lot to take in. Have you seen a photo of him? Does he look like you?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

^^Let's say he looks a lot like his half Brother just older. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. I am heading overseas on Wednesday for a month. My eldest daughter has organised a coffee catch-up shortly. She tells me they will just do some meets and greets. My eldest daughter is really keen and excited.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Great stuff. As weird as it must be for you, think how he must be feeling. The Dad he never knew. Good luck with it all.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Definitely, in a very short time, he has a lot to deal with.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

It does sound pretty interesting, I must say! I've never done one of these tests, but would be fascinated to see what it brings up (particularly regarding my father's Greek side of the family).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

David wrote:It does sound pretty interesting, I must say! I've never done one of these tests, but would be fascinated to see what it brings up (particularly regarding my father's Greek side of the family).
Do it, I recommend that website 23 and me. Once you do it you can then send it out to the family to do it at a cheaper rate. Takes about 5 weeks.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

I’m still overseas and my Son that I never knew of has messaged me and we’ve had a video chat. He was angry with me but now totally understands that I never knew. We are going to catch up when I get back and do a step at a time. He’s struggling emotionally but I can say his wife is really supportive. I did get from her, “OMG, you and his mannerisms are so alike”.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Been involved in a few of these situations in my social work career and my only advice is to be patient and calm with the inevitable nervousness and various emotions that will present themselves. It should be a happy experience for both parties. His wife sounds very supportive of the meeting.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️