Injury Tracker 2023

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Steele Sidebottom is planning to be back in action for Collingwood within the next four weeks.

The 32-year-old suffered a strained medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his right knee early in his 300th game for the Magpies against North Melbourne in Round 11.

Sidebottom has since been in a brace, but will soon start running again and is targeting a Round 18 return against Fremantle at the MCG.

“It’s slow and steady at the moment,” Sidebottom said on SEN.

“I’m stuck in this brace for what’s been three weeks. Hopefully one more week in the brace and a couple of weeks of running.

“I’ve set my sights on Round 18, so if I can be around (Round) 18 or 19 then I’ll be happy.”

Sidebottom has already missed two games for the Pies who enjoyed the bye last weekend.

He is expecting to miss at least the next three fixtures.

Source :
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/20/ ... ee-injury/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Collingwood Injury List, Updated: June 19
https://www.bigfooty.com/2023/06/afl-injuries-update/

Name...................Injury, Estimated Return
Jordan De Goey......Suspension, Round 17
Charlie Dean..........Foot, 2024
Jamie Elliott...........Shoulder, Test
Jeremy Howe.........Broken Arm, TBC
Dan McStay............Finger, Test
Joe Richards...........Hamstring, Test
Steele Sidebottom...Knee, 2-4 weeks

(+ any case of "suspected flu", which emerge every Friday)

Adelaide, 3
Brisbane, 4
Carlton, 9
Collingwood, 6
Essendon, 8
Fremantle, 5
Geelong, 10
Gold Coast, 5
GWS, 8
Hawthorn, 2
Melbourne, 6
North Melbourne, 6
Port Adelaide, 6
Richmond, 10
St Kilda, 10
Sydney, 11
West Coast,17
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
David
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Was checking out a few rule changes for the 2023 season and I noticed one new rule that’s crept in, is that clubs are no longer required to declare players as having Covid.
Recently both Steene and Allen both missed two / three weeks with Covid and their absence wasn’t even posted on the Collingwood injury list for a couple weeks. Point being, if we become aware of VFL players in particular, missing games and they don’t show up at all on the injury updates, then it’s probably Covid. Alternatively, it will simply be described as flu or virus.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden

Injury Update: Round 15

Post by LaurieHolden »

Players have returned to the Club after a well-deserved break following Collingwood’s Round 13 clash against Melbourne.

Jeremy Howe (Arm) has taken part in full training for over a month. Howe will be available for selection this week after missing 12 games due to his injury in Collingwood’s Round One clash against Geelong.

Joe Richards (Hamstring) has spent eight weeks on the sidelines due to an injured hamstring. In good news, Richards was sprinting at 100% speed prior to the bye round and will be available for selection this week.

Jamie Elliott (Shoulder) participated in full contact training today and pulled up from the session well. He will be assessed prior to Sunday’s clash against Adelaide.

Dan McStay (Infection) recently suffered a setback on his finger injury. The Club will provide an update on McStay next week. He is on track to be available for selection between Rounds 16-18.

Steele Sidebottom (Knee) is still in his knee brace and is tracking well. He has been able to start gymnastics, running mechanics, jumping and landing. All things going well, he will commence a running program next week. Steele is working towards a return in Round 18.

Charlie Dean (Foot) has completed two running sessions across the last two weeks, with the aim to increase to three sessions next week. Dean remains on the long-term injury list.

Hear more from High Performance Manager, Jarrod Wade:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... e-round-15
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

466 total games experience currently on injury list ~

Sidebottom 300 (15 seasons) avg. 20.0 games per season ~ 61.33% w/l ratio
McStay 166 (10 seasons) avg 16.60 games per season 49.40% w/l ratio

Charlie Dean 0 (1 season)
Joe Richards 0 (1 season)

*missed entire 2016 & 2018 seasons
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

According to SEN, Sidey will be back within the next few weeks, possibly round 18 / 19. Depending on no further injuries, we may have our best team.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

lazzadesilva wrote:According to SEN, Sidey will be back within the next few weeks, possibly round 18 / 19. Depending on no further injuries, we may have our best team.
Really, that long?
I was hoping it would be earlier.
But whatever.
Just want him back in prime condition.
He is so important for us.
He is the link in the chain, the brick in the wall.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

He's 32 now, the old knees take a little longer to heal. No way we rush him back, I'd be happy with round 19 v Port. Half a dozen games before the finals sounds good to me.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Take_a_Screamer

Zero Hanger: Collingwood star Brayden Maynard reveals playing chances after shoulder concern
The All-Australian defender finished Round 15 on the interchange after suffering a blow.
by Mitch Keating, June 27, 2023 - 9:25am

Collingwood defender Brayden Maynard is confident he'll be available to make the trip to Queensland this weekend to face Gold Coast after sustaining a shoulder injury in Sunday's win over Adelaide.

Maynard ended the thrilling two-point win on the interchange after a collision with Crow Izak Rankine in the dying stages of the match, with the Magpies defender left on his knee and clutching his shoulder on the sidelines.

The marking contest left Maynard winded and with a blow to his ribs, while concerns surrounding another shoulder injury to the All-Australian were also thrown into the mix. The 26-year-old hasn't required scans on the ailment, with Maynard revealing he remains in the mix to play in Round 16 against the Suns.

"It's not too bad, I'm a little sore," Maynard told 9 News on Monday. "It was a bit of a weird one. I got winded, hit in the ribs and then my shoulder popped backwards. "I've done multiple shoulder (injuries) over the last couple of years and over my career, so I know when it's back and I know when it's alright. "I should be fine."

The Magpies have a six-day turnaround for their clash at Carrara on Saturday, where Craig McRae's side will be hoping to extend their winning ways as the competition's ladder leaders.

Collingwood are close to having a fully fit side to select from, with forward Dan McStay nearing a return after a recent setback to a finger injury that has kept him out of action since April. Veteran Steele Sidebottom will also be in the mix for a return in the coming weeks after sustaining a knee injury in the club's Round 11 win over North Melbourne.

The Magpies will face the Suns at Heritage Bank Stadium on Saturday afternoon at 4:35pm (AEST) as they search for their 13th win of the year.

Link:
https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood- ... rn-139104/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Take_a_Screamer

Medical room: The full AFL injury list, R16
Updated: June 27, 2023

PLAYER.................INJURY, ESTIMATED RETURN
Jordan De Goey......Suspension, 1 week
Charlie Dean..........Foot, Season
Brayden Maynard....Shoulder, Test
Dan McStay............Finger, 2 weeks
Steele Sidebottom...Knee, 2-3 weeks

Collingwood almost has a full list to choose from. Jordan De Goey has one more week of his suspension to serve. Steele Sidebottom is at least a fortnight away from recovering from an MCL injury. Brayden Maynard copped a late blow to his shoulder on the weekend, but didn’t have a scan and trained on Tuesday. The All-Australian defender is expected to be available for the trip to the Gold Coast. - Josh Gabelich

https://www.afl.com.au/news/957703/medi ... y-list-r16
Ash Johnson...you beauty
LaurieHolden

Injury Update: Round 16

Post by LaurieHolden »

Following successful returns from Jeremy Howe (AFL), Jamie Elliott (AFL), and Joe Richards (VFL), get the latest injury news.

Brayden Maynard (Shoulder) received a knock to his shoulder during the side’s two-point victory against Adelaide on Sunday afternoon. Maynard will be assessed prior to Saturday’s Round 16 clash against Gold Coast.

Dan McStay (Finger infection) had a positive follow-up interview with his surgeon and immunologist. McStay is back training and is on track to be available for selection between Rounds 17-18.

Steele Sidebottom (Knee) is out of his knee brace and has commenced a running program. Steele is working towards a return in Round 18 against Fremantle.

Charlie Dean (Foot) is three weeks into a running program and continues to make strong progress. He remains on the long-term injury list.

Tom Mitchell experienced neck soreness during training this week. Mitchell will be assessed and is expected to be available this weekend.

Source :
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... e-round-16
2023 AFL Premiers
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Happy to have Maynard rest his shoulder this week and have Ruscoe fill in.
kill for collingwood!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

McStay scheduled to come back through the VFL and play on Sunday.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Dark Beanie wrote:McStay scheduled to come back through the VFL and play on Sunday.
Yeah, I just watched the presser, and Fly is saying that McStay could be available next week if he successfully gets through his VFL minutes.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins