Post Match. Pies down to Dees. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Our entry into the forward line was poor for much of the game
Long high kicking gets eaten by their KPDs
A lot of gettable marks were missed

The replacements are not as good as the outs, obvious if they were they would be playing senior football every week

Johnson is starting to go missing in too many matches hopefully it is a confidence thing and a couple of grabs being held will work wonders on him
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

Disappointing how many times we turned the ball over. A few players didn't look to have their usual run and pressure, maybe illness during the week. Backline was great, mids worked hard, but the forwards struggled. Good time to have a break and get some fit and refreshed players back for the run to the finals. Still a positive to have a shocker and only lose by 4 points.
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

Not surprised at the loss. Most of the year we have only been playing one quarter and a myth has emerged that we will win in the last quarter. Yes, we had some injuries and perhaps the effects of the flu, ( If this was an issue, then why select them when there have been players knocking on the door in the reserves) but it was too easy for Melbourne when it mattered and the injury excuse is to gloss over the holes in the team. Without a key CHF in particular, it is very difficult to win a flag. I hope Kreuger can fill the spot. Hill needs to stop trying to do the spectacular and Johnson needs to get on his bicycle. I have said this before, McInness speed, strength and skill is wasted. I recall that he was going to be a big bodied midfielder!! I just hope that what happened to Melbourne last year after we defeated them, doesn’t visit the pies this year. Still, the team fought it out and I guess you are entitled to have the odd poor game. However, I still stand by my observations.
Believer
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:Not surprised at the loss. Most of the year we have only been playing one quarter and a myth has emerged that we will win in the last quarter. Yes, we had some injuries and perhaps the effects of the flu, ( If this was an issue, then why select them when there have been players knocking on the door in the reserves) but it was too easy for Melbourne when it mattered and the injury excuse is to gloss over the holes in the team. Without a key CHF in particular, it is very difficult to win a flag. I hope Kreuger can fill the spot. Hill needs to stop trying to do the spectacular and Johnson needs to get on his bicycle. I have said this before, McInness speed, strength and skill is wasted. I recall that he was going to be a big bodied midfielder!! I just hope that what happened to Melbourne last year after we defeated them, doesn’t visit the pies this year. Still, the team fought it out and I guess you are entitled to have the odd poor game. However, I still stand by my observations.
Are you ignoring the 5 best 22 players missing from our team?
Donny
Has liked: 62 times

Post by Donny »

Collingwood 9.8.62
Melbourne 8.18.66

Goals: Lipinski 2, Nick, Checkers, McCreery, Hill, Cox, Crisp, Harrison

Disposals: Mitch 30, Crisp 28, Adams, Nick 27, Pendles 26, Maynard 25, H-E, Noblet 20, Cameron, Josh 17, IQ 16, Lipinski 15, Moore 13, McCreery 11, Murph 12

Tackles: Crisp 11, Mitch 10, Adams 8, Nick 6.

D/E: Moore 92.3%, Nick 81.5

AFs: Crisp 131, Mitch 121, Maynard 109, Nick 101, Cameron 96, Adams 100, Pendles 92,
Last edited by Donny on Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

I looked through the list and counted who wasnt playing today and I put down Ash Johnsons name.
I actually thought he got an injury or was sick from last week and put him down as not playing today.
Did not remember his name being called out or even seeing him...thats concerning.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Illness & injuries I can cope with, suspensions which are avoidable jeopardises & penalises the whole side, which is just plain dumb!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

magpieazza wrote:I looked through the list and counted who wasnt playing today and I put down Ash Johnsons name.
I actually thought he got an injury or was sick from last week and put him down as not playing today.
Did not remember his name being called out or even seeing him...thats concerning.
He's still young with strong potential but he fades under intense pressure. Hopefully another preseason brings him up to speed.
scoobydoo
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by scoobydoo »

What'sinaname wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:Very interesting game Melbourne are stupendously overrated.
Overrated?

We were slaughtered. Only bad kicking kept it close. Dees were a 6 goals better team.
Bad kicking is bad football & to say Collingwood was slaughtered is a bit over the top.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

We have Adelaide coming off the bye, need to make a statement with a good win
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

Good to still get close but that should have been a 5 goal loss.
Very error ridden game today.
Costly turnovers
Very unlike Collingwood
Good start to half way
It’s a long season
Go Pies
The Great Macedonian Marvel
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

ANNODAM wrote:Illness & injuries I can cope with, suspensions which are avoidable jeopardises & penalises the whole side, which is just plain dumb!
Take a breath brother. Still top of the ladder.
11-2 at the turn. Taking that all day long.
Add back McStay, Elliot, Ginnivan to that fwd line plus JDG and Sidey to the mids. We’ll be fine.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times

Post by Cam »

Johnson played like McStay pressure will see him lose his spot.
Bobby Hill finally picked someone out inside 50 in the last instead of blazing away and ignoring people in better positions for weeks. He also needs to understand that it's better to let the big boys fly while he is front and square for crumbs.
Pendles handed the game to Melbourne with several uncharacteristic turnovers.
We picked out May a bit.
Hyphen should have been rested.
Adams is in no way a replacement for De Goey. Ball use shocking.
Cameron is a spud 3 out of every 4 games.
Cox is often flaccid when he needs to be impacting all game, but did ok.
Have a Reef McGinnes didn't do much positive.

Harrison didn't do much wrong.
Lipinski straight back in was fine.
Quaynor is back to his best.
Get back on top.
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

With Krueger and McStay available for the next game I can’t see Johnson holding his spot.
I think Checkers will enjoy having others crashing the packs instead of it just being in his shoulders.

Changes for next game:
Ins
McStay
Krueger
Elliott
Ginnivan

Outs
Johnson
McInnes
Harrison
WHE
- Side By Side -
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

scoobydoo wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:Very interesting game Melbourne are stupendously overrated.
Overrated?

We were slaughtered. Only bad kicking kept it close. Dees were a 6 goals better team.
Bad kicking is bad football & to say Collingwood was slaughtered is a bit over the top.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dees were a 6 goal better team today considering we had to field both a second string forward line and a second string midfield group.
The sky definitely isn't falling.