#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

think better wrote:Most teams would kill to have a seven foot Cox!
Or kill with it. :shock:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

In case you missed it.
Mason Cox : Here is the American 60 minutes show on CBS

A Texas man had an engineering job lined up, but then an opportunity came knocking from across the globe. Mason Cox tells Jon Wertheim how he became an unlikely Australian rules football star. Air Date: Apr 30, 2023
https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/KI8e3wZ ... rG_8e8rNY/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Piesnchess »

The long tall Texan, well done Coxy. He copped a lot of crap on here, not all that long ago, and they know who they are. I always kept faith with the big boy, because I thought, if Grundy goes down long term we are stuffed. This was before Frampton, McStay, prior to Cameron getting so good. Well, Gurndy is departed, now the pressure off Coxy, and he has blossomed as a ruckman, and around the ground. His awful eye injury nearly ruined him, but he fought it with guts and determination, an now hes a ripper player. I cant see many Yanks playing 100 matches, so well done Mason, I salute you.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Cox just going for it when given a chance - 100 games of perseverance.

Walking into what is a totally foreign experience with no idea about what might happen is just a ripper of a story. The battle against the weirdest injuries /conditions to keep improving is inspiring in lots of ways.

He seems to have a natural connection with Fly which is bringing out the best in him.
I think therefore I think - I think
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Another Collingwood player umpired differently to every forward, he gets front onned or tunnelled all the time - when he gets a free for it's almost a strong case for declaring a national day of celebration.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

100% so true jonmac1954….it’s clear as day that in the majority of times Mason doesn’t clunk it and come down with the pill his arms have been chopped or his face and eyes poked front on. Based on the laws of the game this has been a free (at least) for over 150 years. By that rationale, and according to the laws of physics, Mason should be awarded either a mark or free in nearly every overhead contested marking situation considering no player can come close to his reach.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

As near as I can work it out this 'special' application of the rules commenced directly after his destruction of Richmond in '18.
Nor is it the first Collingwood KPF that has been effectively umpired out of the game.
I lost count of the number of times Trav was manhandled by two - sometimes three - players in plain view of the officials.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

So well done to Mason Cox... a story of astonishing perseverance, determination and physical courage. As Fly said, one of Mason's most fundamental motivations is to prove others wrong when they say he can't do it.
His passion for the game, and for the Pies, is on the record for his bravery in not being intimidated by multiple eye injuries, and demanding his place in the side. Now with Cameron back in, maybe he and Darcy are on the road together for something very special. Well done Mason Cox. An astonishing achievement.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 312 times

Post by Jezza »

I've been a critic of Mason in the past, but to reach 100 games is a remarkable achievement for a player who didn't grow up with the game.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

From long shot to crucial role and big occasion weapon.

Not only does he play an important structural role every week now in very difficult roles, but there are three things Coxy can do that should never be underestimated: (1) he messes with opponents structurally, (2) he can stop a rampaging opposition ruckman using height, and (3) he can tear a big game apart.

On top of his weekly role, you need those things a few times a year in the big games that matter, and especially in September. God knows we've been on the wrong end of those moments ourselves over the years; now, the trump card is ours.

Congratulations, lad.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
23 YIPPEE!!!

Mason Cox

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Please merge into another thread if you want.
But what do we think of Cox thus far.
I think Cox just can park himself in the forward line.
Look he only takes a few marks a match and the marks if in the forward line usually ends in a goal anyway.
Like to play him as a forward pocket player
And ruck in stoppages in the forward line.
So what do we think
What’s the plan going forward with Cox
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Mason Cox

Post by masoncox »

90 nice wrote:Please merge into another thread if you want.
But what do we think of Cox thus far.
I think Cox just can park himself in the forward line.
Look he only takes a few marks a match and the marks if in the forward line usually ends in a goal anyway.
Like to play him as a forward pocket player
And ruck in stoppages in the forward line.
So what do we think
What’s the plan going forward with Cox
He is a ruckman full stop.
Been saying this for years.
Been proven correct this season
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Mason Cox

Post by K »

masoncox wrote:...
He is a ruckman full stop.
Been saying this for years.
Been proven correct this season
Yes, but a ruckman who can play forward some of the time... which is rare for ruckmen and makes Cox more valuable. e.g. Grundy has been putrid as a forward for Melbourne.*

Sad that the club tried for so many years to make a foreigner to the game play the hardest position on the ground, key forward, instead of the easiest position, ruck.

----------------------------------
* I can tell ya what "putrid" means here. It means this:

"[Gawn] has been targeted for 24 one-on-one contests and marked six, while Grundy has taken one mark from nine contests.

In attack, Gawn has been targeted for 31 inside 50 contests, retaining the ball 32 per cent of the time. Grundy has not retained any of the five inside 50 contests where he has been the target."

(afl.com.au)

Sheesh, that's bad!!
Take_a_Screamer

Mason Cox and Christian Petracca Post-Match (Melbourne) Confrontation
https://www.bigfooty.com/2023/06/melbou ... rontation/
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Take_a_Screamer

The Mason Cox Show
Goggle Snatcher
Ash Johnson...you beauty