Reaching out to former Nicks BB posters

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

G'Day Tony, great to hear from you and sounds like a brilliant lifestyle. There's a home DIY and a Tree/Seachange thread in VPT if you ever feel the urge to share your latest adventures.

Also, I've still got your book, it's on the shelf, PM me your mailing address and I'll post it back if you like.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

lazzadesilva wrote:^^^^

Dear me, I hope he fully recovers soon. Certainly my best wishes to him.

BTW, my all time favourite Nick’s poster was Magpie Greg. Having also met him, he is a decent guy who loves Collingwood as much as anyone I know. I wish he returns, he will greatly enrich the discussion here.

Lazza, comrade, hes n Twitter mate, he often likes my political posts, yeh nice bloke, often omments on anythng Magpies there on that site. :)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Oh great Piesnchess, thanks comrade.

Are you going on Friday? I’m thinking about it.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Tannin wrote:G'day all.

I'm just popping in on my way past. I don't think I've got anything much to contribute these days as I've stopped following the football - partly for lifestyle reasons (= too much else to do!) and partly because I hated the way the club sacked so many good, committed star players a few years back. That really stuck in my craw and I lost interest at that point.

But a big g'day to all and good luck to Nick's, one of the great discussion boards. Long may it thrive!

Life after football is good. We are living on 20 acres in the beautiful Huon Valley 40 minutes south-west of Hobart. We have ducks and fruit trees; the neighbour puts his sheep on our big paddock and slips us a side of lamb every so often; lots of native birds, wallabies round the house, Eastern Quolls every night and a platypus lives in the dam. Sometimes we go out but I don't know why.

Anyway, hello Nicksters and good luck to you all. Anyone passing through down our way, send me a PM.

Tony
Great to hear from you Tony. Sounds like you've managed to establish a great lifestyle. Spending time and energy on relationships and the people you love is far more important than being overly fixated on footy.

I still love following the Pies, but in truth, I'm nowhere near as committed a follower as I once was. Age does that to you I guess. The increasing corporatisation and commodification of sport (which is nothing new of course), has diminished the unbridled passion I once had for my beloved Magpies, growing up in and around Collingwood.

I still love the Pies and get to as many games as I can, but I guess I'm not as exuberant in my celebrations of wins or as depressed at our losses as I once was. Having recently retired, like you it seems, I've embarked on a new lifestyle, spending a few months each year based in Paris, where I am now. Thus, I'll have to watch our first 3-4 games online from here before returning home in time for the ANZAC day game.

In a couple of months I'll be moving into my new home, in Johnston Street Collingwood, where I'll have a view overlooking Victoria Park. For me, part of my passion for the Pies was destroyed when we abandoned our home ground. For all the thrills of big crowds, the 'G' has never, and will never, feel like home.

Anyway, I'd better stop ranting on now. It's great to read a post from you again Tony. Hope to read a few more, now and again. Cheers
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

When Stui is voted off the island or has his 7th vacc the people shall return.
Agree with Damo.
Got too woke.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I'm just popping in on my way past.
Tony
Nice to hear from you, Tannin!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

I'm just popping in on my way past. I don't think I've got anything much to contribute these days as I've stopped following the football - partly for lifestyle reasons (= too much else to do!) and partly because I hated the way the club sacked so many good, committed star players a few years back. That really stuck in my craw and I lost interest at that point.

But a big g'day to all and good luck to Nick's, one of the great discussion boards. Long may it thrive!

Life after football is good. We are living on 20 acres in the beautiful Huon Valley 40 minutes south-west of Hobart. We have ducks and fruit trees; the neighbour puts his sheep on our big paddock and slips us a side of lamb every so often; lots of native birds, wallabies round the house, Eastern Quolls every night and a platypus lives in the dam. Sometimes we go out but I don't know why.

Anyway, hello Nicksters and good luck to you all. Anyone passing through down our way, send me a PM.

Tony
Tannin! Its been an age! I still love your tag line as a keen fan of the Oxford apostrophe.

Thats sounds very idyllic indeed, half your luck!

All the best
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

Hi all,

Thanks for the PM and link to his thread.

I think the answer to why so many have left comes down to a few things.

For me I do a lot of my internetting on my phone during my work commute. The Nick's experience is poor to say the least on mobile devices.

Social media has changed the way we communicate.

I came on here a while back and asked if Nick's supported the Tapatalk app. Sadly it seems not. Something like that or better mobile browser support would bring me back to regularly logging in and contributing.
stoid

Post by stoid »

think positive wrote:Yes and no, not too long ago the abuse was out of hand at times, and I for one don’t miss that at all.
Abuse of what? Our players or other posters?
I've been away for a while... :D
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

stoid wrote:
think positive wrote:Yes and no, not too long ago the abuse was out of hand at times, and I for one don’t miss that at all.
Abuse of what? Our players or other posters?
I've been away for a while... :D
Others posters
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

CarringbushCigar wrote:When Stui is voted off the island or has his 7th vacc the people shall return.
Agree with Damo.
Got too woke.
huh? :?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

punkologist wrote:I came on here a while back and asked if Nick's supported the Tapatalk app. Sadly it seems not. Something like that or better mobile browser support would bring me back to regularly logging in and contributing.
Indeed Nick's survives on creaking old technology and we simply don't have the funds for a redesign. On top of that, we will shortly have to start paying for the servers.

We will likely limp along until the last poster exits the building, recognising that social media has evolved a long way since Nick's started 20+ years ago...
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
punkologist wrote:I came on here a while back and asked if Nick's supported the Tapatalk app. Sadly it seems not. Something like that or better mobile browser support would bring me back to regularly logging in and contributing.
Indeed Nick's survives on creaking old technology and we simply don't have the funds for a redesign. On top of that, we will shortly have to start paying for the servers.

We will likely limp along until the last poster exits the building, recognising that social media has evolved a long way since Nick's started 20+ years ago...
hmm that's sad. I'm a computer programmer. I wonder If I can be of assistance. I don't really know anything about phpBB but I don't imagine it's rocket science for a programmer to understand.

I imagine the site can be upgraded/migrated to the latest version of phpB and the database migrated.

If Nick's does die, hopefully it can be reborn in another service. like maybe a reddit subredit.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Leave it as is, please. Brilliant in its simplicity and minus all the bloatware and advertising garbage other forums have
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

I finally figured out my username and password but the email I have no longer exists ha ha yay love nicks! Is still the greatest pie site of them all.