#5 Jamie Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

A gun and a brilliant story at that given the injuries he's had to overcome. Plays the hardest role in football by miles: a marking small forward.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Jamie Elliott: The Clutch Matchwinner

Post by inxs88 »

Jamie Elliott's true individual career achievements such as:

* Best and Fairests
* All Australians
* 50+ goalkicking exploits

have been largely curtailed by injuries. However, one of the greatest compliments a player can receive is being a "match-winner". Last season's Bombers and Blues clutch goals cemented that and Friday night's Tigers win may not have occurred without those two clutch 3rd quarter goals from the near 50 metre mark.

Kudos Jamie, we are lucky to have you.
Last edited by inxs88 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Spot on. He hits those contests so hard, it’s been to the detriment of his career. Not sure if others have the same experience but I find he’s one of the few Collingwood players who have universal respect from opposition supporters. I find I never have to remind other supporters just how good this bloke this because they seem to see it too.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Pies2016 wrote:Spot on. He hits those contests so hard, it’s been to the detriment of his career. Not sure if others have the same experience but I find he’s one of the few Collingwood players who have universal respect from opposition supporters. I find I never have to remind other supporters just how good this bloke this because they seem to see it too.
Good call. Some sportsman don't have all the individual plaudits but they're there in a crisis. Jamie is one of those.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Great post. Jamie is a legend.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Yes, he is a legend. He has improved as he got older as well. I think he is now playing the best football of his career. No doubt this is due to the fact that his earlier years were sabotaged by injury. However he now has added an extra dimension to his play: he has a pivotal leadership role in our F50. He is first to congratulate others for their successes, and he is also first to run up and console/encourage anyone who makes a mistake, particularly our less experienced players. By winning games in clutch moments, with "ice in the veins", he sets an example of strength of mental toughness for the entire team, and especially our young players.
I love him.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Excellent post.
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Excellent post.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Also, this year he has been pivotal in setting up goals for others.
During the Port game, he gave so many quick handballs and tap ons to others which allowed them to goal.
Very clever player and yes, a proven match winner.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

I've always been a big fan of Jamie Elliot ever since he kicked 5 vs Carlton early in his career. The St.Kilda supporter I was at that game with very quickly observed the arrival of a champion after seeing Elliot in action that day. Injuries have certainly curtailed Jamie's spectacular style, but in 2022 and this year to date, he has provided tremendous leadership and coolness under pressure to deliver when required. Adds a lot of fire power to a team that doesn't have a genuine key forward "gorilla".
The fact that he has another two years after this year to go on his current contract means he will finish his career at Collingwood which will ensure he is remembered as a Collingwood great. Hopefully a multiple premiership player too!!
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

It's been a career of ups and downs for Jamie, but the biggest compliment one can give him is his perseverance.

Despite all the setbacks he's had along the way, the ability to come back and keeping producing great results for us is something I've most admired about him.

The match winners against Essendon and Carlton last year will go down in Collingwood folklore. We'll be talking about those moments for years to come.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

If he can't finish his career with a Premiership medal, then I'd love to see him take an ANZAC day medal out this year.
He still possesses all the skills and determination that could see him grab one on the day, or even a Norm Smith, he's a rare talent.

Early on in his career, it was clear he was set to shine on the big stage, but it looked like his career was going to fizzle out due to injury before it really got started.

He's certainly presents as an introverted type, but his game day highlights are far from that type. He's as determined and focussed as anyone that has come through the door in the past 30 years.
He prepares as good as anyone at the Club, a perfect role model for those young draftees to hitch their wagon to.

I just hope he gets another few seasons out of his body to be part of what this new Collingwood look set to deliver.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

LaurieHolden wrote:If he can't finish his career with a Premiership medal, then I'd love to see him take an ANZAC day medal out this year.
He still possesses all the skills and determination that could see him grab one on the day, or even a Norm Smith, he's a rare talent.

Early on in his career, it was clear he was set to shine on the big stage, but it looked like his career was going to fizzle out due to injury before it really got started.

He's certainly presents as an introverted type, but his game day highlights are far from that type. He's as determined and focussed as anyone that has come through the door in the past 30 years.
He prepares as good as anyone at the Club, a perfect role model for those young draftees to hitch their wagon to.

I just hope he gets another few seasons out of his body to be part of what this new Collingwood look set to deliver.
Great reply Laurie
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Well said Laurie.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

His clutch needs a service.
Get back on top.