Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Straight back into the senior side at the first opportunity. He's our best forward by miles.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:Straight back into the senior side at the first opportunity. He's our best forward by miles.
Agreed just not sure who goes out for him at this point in time (still two weeks away so plenty of time) and a great problem to have.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"Those that you speak to at Collingwood say that Hill had gone past him and McCreery applies pressure like no one else in that forward line."

Matthew Lloyd says that even after his ban is over, Jack Ginnivan might not get his spot straight back.

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/ ... nxEWw&s=19
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

What a great problem to have
Fitting in Gini.....he only kicked 40 goals plus last year.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

As much as I luv Ginni, I can't see him squeezing his way into our forward line any time soon. He may have to wait for an injury to someone. His problem is that both Bobby Hill and McCreery have blitzing pace, which is crucial to our game style.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The key to Ginnivans return will be his fitness. He wasn’t a quick player last year but it didn’t stop him kicking 40 odd along the way.
It would seem McCreery doesn’t need to be a goal kicker in order to fit into Flys plans, so the question remains, what are the scoreboard expectations of Hill in order to hold his spot. I think we can all safely assume he’s meeting the coaches pressure expectations.
There’s also McInnes to consider, it seems Fly wants to give him AFL game time and reward his breakout preseason form. Coaches look to reward strong pre season form where they can because that sets the bar for other players to aspire to and this is what also may go against Ginnivan in the short term at least.
There will be injuries and there will horses for courses match ups, so Ginnivan will get his chance soon enough but he would do well to make the most of it because there’s more than enough competition breathing down his neck right now.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jezza
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Jezza »

It's a selection headache.

I find it hard to believe a player who scored 40 goals last year wouldn't be selected in the 22 as soon as he's available.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

Add to the dilemma, how to squeeze in a fit and firing Ash Johnson if and when.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

There's every chance that someone will get injured this week. If that happens, then no doubt Ginni will be the first one to come in.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Well, the coach is impressed with him...

“I’ve been really impressed”: McRae praises Ginnivan’s attitude since drug indiscretion
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/22/ ... fter-drug/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:It's a selection headache.

I find it hard to believe a player who scored 40 goals last year wouldn't be selected in the 22 as soon as he's available.
So true. The fact that we are wondering whether or not Ginni is an automatic selection in R3 is astonishing.
We are drowning in a plethora of riches!

Is it possible to play both Ginni and Bobby in the same team?
I feel that such a possiblity might arise if we decided to go for a short forward line under certain conditions.
Our coaching team has massive problem solving tasks, but of a very attractive kind. Which permutation/combination of forwards is optimal? How does Ash Johnson fit into the picture? Shoud McInnes play mostly forward?
The myriad possiblities creates a really extraordinary level of complexity for our coaching team. Such a challenge will test them. But I am confident they will find highly creative and effective solutions. They have proven themselves already.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Jezza wrote:It's a selection headache.

Given he's only played in a intra-club practice match, it's logical that his interrupted pre-season will go against him to come straight back in.
Johnson will be ahead of him at this stage. He looked sharp on the weekend.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I can't see Fly dropping any of our forwards any time soon, just to squeeze Ginni in. He may have to wait for an injury to one of our current forwards before he gets a senior birth.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

^ a nice wait will do him no harm, as a reminder that being an idiot can have unpredictable costs.

He is a good player, but it is not clear how good, now that his head-ducking trick has been ruled out of the game.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by What'sinaname »

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Straight back into the senior side at the first opportunity. He's our best forward by miles.
Agreed just not sure who goes out for him at this point in time (still two weeks away so plenty of time) and a great problem to have.
Seems like the coach disagrees with both of you on this one. Ginni to play VFL.