Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Skids wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
piedys wrote: Find it odd that the punishments/suspensions for a player caught gambling FAR exceed the ones for actual illegal substances?
Not at all. It should be more severe, gambling can affect the entire integrity of the game, not just the individual taking drugs to get through a night of partying on his day off.
Can it really?

I find it absolutely ludicrous to suggest that a player having a bet of any sort on a game can affect the outcome. Maybe in an individual sport like tennis
Nah mate, there have been many instances in team games like cricket, Soccer etc where players have thrown games for money. Remember Cronje from South Africa who was banned for match fixing related to gambling, along with a Pakistani batsman Salim Malik and fast bowler Mohammad Asif among a few other Pakistani bowlers for what was called spot fixing.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

So who’s the mystery mum who made pretty big accusations against the club? Player recruited a couple of years ago, recently delisted/traded … shouldn’t be hard to narrow it down and expose the anonymous caller as a fraud.
blybo

Post by blybo »

Pies4shaw wrote:He is one of our most consistent and best.
I think you have rose coloured glasses on. He played a couple of very good games but was also missing for long periods of many games. He is effectively a 1 trick pony and the umpires have largely determined his good and bad games by how many free kicks he got close to goal.

He has good game sense and can read the play well to get to the ball first but is too slow to get out of trouble so goes looking for free kicks. You can build a tank but you can't build speed much at all.

I think the club has handled this latest situation well and I wish him well too and hold no malice towards him, but fear he will be a forgotten player in a few years time.
dollygray

Post by dollygray »

nomadjack wrote:
piedys wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Alcohol and gambling, mate. One of which is still a major AFL sponsor. :(
Find it odd that the punishments/suspensions for a player caught gambling FAR exceed the ones for actual illegal substances?
Not really. Gambling on a match potentially undermines the whole integrity of the competition.
Someone doing a line of coke out of season impacts on nobody except the player involved (if that).
I doubt that any of our club sponsors are overly impressed with Ginnivan's behavior.
I'd imagine a few of them made a phone call to Craig Kelly at least to ensure Collingwood is addressing any damage to either "brands"...
I sat next to Rudeboy and piedys for 10 years at Victoria Park, and survived.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Meanwhile everyone will be seeing Cocaine Bear and glorifying drug use.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

David wrote:
That’s your opinion and you’re obviously entitled to it, but I have to pull you up on the bolded section, which is a real throwback to '90s "War on Drugs" attitudes. (Spoiler: that approach didn’t work, and did nothing to either curb recreational drug use or address its harms; instead, its zero-tolerance orientation, entailing often severe punishments, damaged many lives.)

The most elementary mistake is to talk about "drugs" as if they’re all the same. All drugs carry risks, but ketamine is on the relatively low end of the scale: you can’t die from overdosing on it in isolation, it’s not addictive and it’s not a drug like ice that is associated with violent behaviour. I think it’s fair to say, on balance, that getting drunk is a much bigger risk to yourself and those around you than ketamine use. If you don’t condone any recreational drug use, then you would have to include alcohol in that category. But we all know that the most strident anti-drug people tend to see no problem with getting on the beers, as this classic satirical song by The Streets pointed out: https://youtu.be/EZx5OgKQNrA

Of course, it is an illegal drug nonetheless, and anyone who buys or uses it is running the risk of being arrested, with all the attendant consequences. But even if we are to see recreational drug use as a societal problem that needs to be remedied through any and all available means, then we need to be at the very least dealing with it intelligently and sensitively. The old War on Drugs attitude doesn’t cut it anymore, on any level.

Edit: this also serves as a response to Boot’s post above.
I dont know David; if you ever been stuck in a K-hole, pretty much feels like you gonna die!

Is it K he was snorting?
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Meanwhile everyone will be seeing Cocaine Bear and glorifying drug use.
Well in that case, AFL players should be permitted to do coke, meth and ice freely, and what the hell, in public too.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

dollygray wrote:I doubt that any of our club sponsors are overly impressed with Ginnivan's behavior.

I'd imagine a few of them made a phone call to Craig Kelly at least to ensure Collingwood is addressing any damage to either "brands"...
Apparently, KFC were furious:

"Listen, Craig. That's why we included an exclusivity clause. There can only be one Special K in this deal associated with increased morbidity, healthcare burden and morally dubious supply chains."
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Fkn stooge, sit on the sidelines now.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

What'sinaname wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Meanwhile everyone will be seeing Cocaine Bear and glorifying drug use.
Well in that case, AFL players should be permitted to do coke, meth and ice freely, and what the hell, in public too.
That would make David so happy!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

dollygray wrote: I doubt that any of our club sponsors are overly impressed with Ginnivan's behavior.
Oh ffs! Craig Kelly will tell the so called unimpressed whinging whiners to piss off with their bloody violins
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

think positive wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
That would make David so happy!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not actually legal to do drugs in public last I heard. Otherwise, yes, they should be as free to do it as you or I already are, in a sense that our jobs aren't on the line (unless we turn up to work under the influence).

"Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

What'sinaname wrote:
Not what I’m saying, mate. I’m calling out the hypocrisy of public figures.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

What'sinaname wrote:
Anyone who suggests making Ice legal has lost the plot. That shit is designed for one purpose, to make you want more of it. It fks people up and is an utter bitch to give up.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »