Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by piedys »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Alcohol and gambling, mate. One of which is still a major AFL sponsor. :(
Find it odd that the punishments/suspensions for a player caught gambling FAR exceed the ones for actual illegal substances?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Piesnchess wrote:
slangman wrote:This has the smell of a deliberate set up.
Ginnivan in a cubicle with a stranger getting filmed by “suspicious” stranger who then shopped it around to media outlets.
I’d be interested to know if there is a relationship between the seller and the cubicle perving creep.

Yep, tell ya what, if some dork bought a camera into a dunney when im pointing percy at the porcelain, and filmed me, he would have one smashed camera, thats for sure. This smells like a set up, stinks like a 3 day old fish, left in the fridge, something does not add up for me. But, Jack will do his penance, and next week this will be yesterdays news, forgotten. :o
Yep
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

piedys wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Alcohol and gambling, mate. One of which is still a major AFL sponsor. :(
Find it odd that the punishments/suspensions for a player caught gambling FAR exceed the ones for actual illegal substances?
I think that's as it should be. Gambling can affect results and potentially brings the integrity of the game into question (as does doping, which of course is in a fundamentally different category). Recreational drug use has no relevance to anything that happens on the field, on the other hand. So they're chalk and cheese.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

piedys wrote:
Not at all. It should be more severe, gambling can affect the entire integrity of the game, not just the individual. BUT also see the article I posted earlier about how players taking drugs can be blackmailed. The guy who filmed Jack could easily have blackmailed him to sabotage a game, kick a goal from outside 50, etc, so he could put a bet on it or else he’d release the video.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
piedys wrote:
Not at all. It should be more severe, gambling can affect the entire integrity of the game, not just the individual taking drugs to get through a night of partying on his day off.
Can it really?

I find it absolutely ludicrous to suggest that a player having a bet of any sort on a game can affect the outcome. Maybe in an individual sport like tennis, but in a game of AFL football, to suggest a small wager is behind anything sinister is laughable.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

So you think corrupt umpires can’t throw games?

Crikey, we had Stephenson doing stupid shit because he put bets on himself, and those actions affected the game.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

And players have been blackmailed already, just ask [names redacted] when bikies turned up to training.
David

Post by David »

think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:
think positive wrote: What a crock of shit. I love Jack but I’m not empathising with him at all, he knows better, he gas been educated on the matter, all of the dickheads have, but they still think they are bulletproof. He wasn’t even unlucky to get caught, he played tight into their hands. I don’t condone drugs in any situation, they are against the law, they kill or lead yo bad decisions that can cause you to kill. But more importantly, they are against the law, it doesn’t matter what you think. I do understand, he thought he would get away with it. He’s sorry he didn’t. The only good is that his strike is out there, unlike many more whose have remained secret so far, this might just wake him up. No big deal? How much will he lose in match payments?
That’s your opinion and you’re obviously entitled to it, but I have to pull you up on the bolded section, which is a real throwback to '90s "War on Drugs" attitudes. (Spoiler: that approach didn’t work, and did nothing to either curb recreational drug use or address its harms; instead, its zero-tolerance orientation, entailing often severe punishments, damaged many lives.)

The most elementary mistake is to talk about "drugs" as if they’re all the same. All drugs carry risks, but ketamine is on the relatively low end of the scale: you can’t die from overdosing on it in isolation, it’s not addictive and it’s not a drug like ice that is associated with violent behaviour. I think it’s fair to say, on balance, that getting drunk is a much bigger risk to yourself and those around you than ketamine use. If you don’t condone any recreational drug use, then you would have to include alcohol in that category. But we all know that the most strident anti-drug people tend to see no problem with getting on the beers, as this classic satirical song by The Streets pointed out: https://youtu.be/EZx5OgKQNrA

Of course, it is an illegal drug nonetheless, and anyone who buys or uses it is running the risk of being arrested, with all the attendant consequences. But even if we are to see recreational drug use as a societal problem that needs to be remedied through any and all available means, then we need to be at the very least dealing with it intelligently and sensitively. The old War on Drugs attitude doesn’t cut it anymore, on any level.

Edit: this also serves as a response to Boot’s post above.
Until alcohol is illegal your wrong, I’m right.

As for ketamine, it has a use, that’s what it should be used for,nothing else, as for not dying from it, the thing is people on drugs don’t think, their brains are often consumed with the desire, so who knows what it’s mixed with? I doubt anyone says how about we do a shot of ketamine?

I’ve suffered plenty at the hands of people who were overly fond of alcohol, but when they were not drinking, they had some semblance of normality.

It’s not for me to decide, or for you to, fact is drugs are illegal and should remain so. We won’t ever agree, we’ve been here before.

I rarely have more than 2 drinks at a time now, usually just 1 and I’d have 3-4 days every week easily where I have none. I don’t enjoy the company of drunks either. But it’s a different story.

I’m with rudey, i just want it to blow over, I want last years awesome times to continue. All I fricken card about is winning the premiership! And quite frankly, that should be enough of a high for every player out there.

If you need substances of any kind to have a good time, I suggest you change your life.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

nomadjack
Been liked: 1 time

Post by nomadjack »

piedys wrote:
Not really. Gambling on a match potentially undermines the whole integrity of the competition. Someone doing a line of coke out of season impacts on nobody except the player involved (if that).
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

David wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Nobody does their first line in a Torquay pub during a training camp break
"Getting away with" suggests it's something that the club/league ought to be policing to begin with.
it’s not the first time he’s done it - as I mentioned above
David wrote:I understand the view that Ginnivan was potentially heading down a bad direction… But aren’t these basically choices he needs to make for himself, just like the rest of us do?
No. As a supporter, my concern is him costing us wins by issuing games he should’ve played in
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Boot wrote: It’s a fact that illegal drugs cause enormous damage to thousands of people and their families in Australia. .
So do legal things like tobacco, alcohol and gambling
Boot wrote:No-one starts out with the ambition to end up addicted to any of these illegal drugs yet thousands of people do and for many of them their lives spiral down to ever lower standards at a terrible cost to them and their families. .
So do legal things like tobacco, alcohol and gambling
Boot wrote:That's why these drugs are illegal
They’re illegal because they’re not taxed