Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I like the comparison of Ginni with Didak. Didak had his challenging behaviour when he was young as well. He also had the charisma that made opposition supporters hate him.
We all know how Didak rebounded from the dramas that frequently assailed him. He became a Magpie Premiership champion in 2010, capping off an amazing year.
Over his first year, Ginni has shown a huge amount of character and strength. He was constantly slung to the ground, or driven into it, strangled etc, and the umpires were despicable in how unfairly they treated him. The media singled him out and hounded him, just because he was different and had the kind of rebelliousness and spirit that they instinctively want to squash. Yet never a complaint from Ginni, and every time he was violently manhandled, he just sprang to his feet with a smile, and went in again and again.
He isn't a stranger to adversity, physical and emotional. I am sure he will summon his inner strength again to deal with the current situation.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

What would media have paid the dirtbag that offered up the video

Is there a full blooded section of the public who make this an occupation for profit
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ceafc6cc20

How the whole thing played out.

Summary, incident happened Aus Day Eve at the Torquay pub after the Pies had finished their training camp.

The person who took the video immediately began shopping it around to the media.

7 were shown the video and contacted Collingwood Thursday for a response.

Wright rang Ginni Thursday arvo, he owned up straight away and Wright contacted the AFL Integrity Unit.

The AFL and Collingwood cut a deal with 7 to delay saying anything til 6pm Saturday in exchange for Ginni doing an exclusive interview with them, before which he'd already had to front the players and coaches.

It doesn't say whether 7 paid for the video, there were legal and other reasons why they were reluctant to show it, but they could have still reported the contents but held off once the deal was made.

A few ticks here for Ginni.

1. He owned up straight away
2. He didn't play the mental health card which would have potentially got him off the suspension and fine
3. He made it clear no team mates were involved
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

The perpetual dumbness of Collingwood players getting ahead of themselves only to the detriment of the club, members, sponsors and supporters. God we are such cliches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Might work in our favour round one, at least we won’t have the media banging on about Ginni tearing poor Danger’s arm off last time.

……...
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Please Nicksters, no mitigation, empathy or justification of Jack's actions EVER.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

BazBoy wrote:What would media have paid the dirtbag that offered up the video

Is there a full blooded section of the public who make this an occupation for profit
Why wouldn't there be? That's the kind of society we live in now: two-bit blackmailers like this usually get what they want, and certainly never face any negative consequences. We even have people defending them in this thread.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

inxs88 wrote:Please Nicksters, no mitigation, empathy or justification of Jack's actions EVER.
Agree but it’s ok to try and discern why he did it and the reasons rather than finding excuses. Shit happens to us all but unlike Heath Shaw, Didak (and someone else?) on another issue, no lies were said and Ginny seemed genuinely upset about what happened. Geez we were (or will be) 20 once and weren’t angels, even if you were an Altar boy. I did some bloody stupid stuff at 20 and I’m lucky to be alive.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Well said David. I’ve read some stupid if not ignorant posts in my time but inxs88 has won hands down with that post.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

derkd
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

The Age had an article that made a really good point, leaving aside the incident in isolation

AFL players have to be smater about their decisions off feild in this day and age....because players might get ahead of themselves and think 'i am indispensable to this team'. When in reality...your only as
Good as the next draft or trade period....2022 your a lock first choice player.... 2023 the team has drafted a gun small forward...or traded one in from another club who have taken their chance at senior level....suddenly your in a battle to even make the starting 22.

Things can change so quickly in this game...you can be back playing VFL...your contract comes up for re-new...club is saying, "thanks for your time...wish you the best in your future endeavours".

How many times have we seen this happen. Stephenson anyone?
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Does anyone think Pendles, having seen that Darcy was fronting up to the media instead of him, went up to Darcy and said something along the lines of, "Well done, you just popped your first Collingwood controversy, buckle up though, this is only the beginning!"

I thought Darcy handled himself and represented our club extremely well. Great choice in being made captain of our great club.
derkd
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

Pep wrote:Does anyone think Pendles, having seen that Darcy was fronting up to the media instead of him, went up to Darcy and said something along the lines of, "Well done, you just popped your first Collingwood controversy, but this is only the beginning!"

I am sure the club has (deep in the bowles of the club) ...a secret room with a a giant pole...with a sign above saying "club controversy" and a staff member with a knife who adds another cut mark to the pole....each time one happens. They being frequent enough for that staff member to be full time. :D
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

This has the smell of a deliberate set up.
Ginnivan in a cubicle with a stranger getting filmed by “suspicious” stranger who then shopped it around to media outlets.
I’d be interested to know if there is a relationship between the seller and the cubicle perving creep.
- Side By Side -