#21 Oscar Steene

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Rick wrote:What happened to the other volleyballer that was trialling?
Was not Brought Back so I guess he either Changed his Mind or we thought it was too much of a Project to get him
I am Da Man
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

I like it!!

Good ruck stocks for 2023. Cox & Cameron with Begg and Steene as backups and McStay/Moore/Frampton in a pinch. This alleviates the Grundy loss as well, I'm happy with this setup.

If Frampton can hold down a KPD position, Mitchell gets back to being the clearance king he used to be and McStay gives Checkers a chop out with a snag or two most weeks and Nick Daicos continues his meteoric rise to superstardom and JDG becomes the consistent dynamo we know he can become then I am just going to say it right now.

We will win the flag in 2023 8) and probably 2024 and 2025, then a hubris 2026 where we stuff up a PF or something, then back to the top in 2027. This is the beginning of a dynasty!!
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Steene wasn't a volleyballer. There was 2 of them trialling, 1 tall 1 short. The tall one could still be in for a Cat B rookie spot if we wanted.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Monco Matt wrote:I like it!!

Good ruck stocks for 2023. Cox & Cameron with Begg and Steene as backups and McStay/Moore/Frampton in a pinch. This alleviates the Grundy loss as well, I'm happy with this setup.

If Frampton can hold down a KPD position, Mitchell gets back to being the clearance king he used to be and McStay gives Checkers a chop out with a snag or two most weeks and Nick Daicos continues his meteoric rise to superstardom and JDG becomes the consistent dynamo we know he can become then I am just going to say it right now.

We will win the flag in 2023 8) and probably 2024 and 2025, then a hubris 2026 where we stuff up a PF or something, then back to the top in 2027. This is the beginning of a dynasty!!
I'm with you MM. However, I'm more optimistic about our prospects in 2026. 8)
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

I do not see Begg as a ruckman unless he grows. I prefer him to become a CHF with his great leap, but does need to learn to take marks.
Believer
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

At 85kgs.....did somebody say KFC!!!!
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

What'sinaname wrote:At 85kgs.....did somebody say KFC!!!!
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

BazBoy wrote:201 cm
85 kg
In reports elsewhere (the CFC website linked below) I’m reading 204 cm. I suspect he’s also a bit heavier than 85 kg as well.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... d-for-2023
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Yeah his draft profile was that height and weight but he would have grown since then
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
watt price tully

H. Barnett a Ruckman was picked up by WCE at pick 23 last year who was vying with our bloke for rucking spots in the SA comp. Our boy Steene all 204 cm of him was picked ahead of him on a few occasions in the latter half of the year. Our boy was injured in the first half of last year.

Grundy of course is also 204cm.

A fair bit to like about this selection.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

What I do like about most P S S selections is that they’ve usually been training with the club for a while before the club does or doesn’t pull the trigger on them.
The coaches and players would witness first hand his appetite for training and development, as opposed to picking up some kids straight from the U18s and watching them struggle with the increase in tempo and workload. Right now it’s a Hail Mary and we need to remember he was overlooked in a couple drafts ( National, rookie and pre season ) before we finally selected him. What I can guarantee, is that he would at least have a good work ethic and character or he wouldn’t have been handed this opportunity in the first place.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

He looks a likely type - good reports coming out of training.

Having Fraser as ruck coach might help him a bit I reckon
I think therefore I think - I think
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies2016 wrote:What I do like about most P S S selections is that they’ve usually been training with the club for a while before the club does or doesn’t pull the trigger on them.
The coaches and players would witness first hand his appetite for training and development, as opposed to picking up some kids straight from the U18s and watching him struggle with the increase in tempo and workload. Right now it’s a Hail Mary and we need to remember he was overlooked in a couple drafts ( National, rookie and pre season ) before we finally selected him. What I can guarantee, is that he would at least have a good work ethic and character or he wouldn’t have been handed this opportunity in the first place.
Didn’t we have a premiership captain who was overlooked in drafts until we got him onto our rookie list? Nick Maxwell, come on down!!
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Pies2016 wrote:What I do like about most P S S selections is that they’ve usually been training with the club for a while before the club does or doesn’t pull the trigger on them.
The coaches and players would witness first hand his appetite for training and development, as opposed to picking up some kids straight from the U18s and watching him struggle with the increase in tempo and workload. Right now it’s a Hail Mary and we need to remember he was overlooked in a couple drafts ( National, rookie and pre season ) before we finally selected him. What I can guarantee, is that he would at least have a good work ethic and character or he wouldn’t have been handed this opportunity in the first place.
True but young rucks seem really hard for clubs to pick.
Clubs adopt a shotgun approach of picking a few late pick/rookie pick to get their four rucks and delist many and rinse and repeat.
Or let another club develop and trade them in
Cameron was 25 and had two games when he came to Collingwood so it seems very hit and miss
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:H. Barnett a Ruckman was picked up by WCE at pick 23 last year who was vying with our bloke for rucking spots in the SA comp. Our boy Steene all 204 cm of him was picked ahead of him on a few occasions in the latter half of the year. Our boy was injured in the first half of last year.

Grundy of course is also 204cm.

A fair bit to like about this selection.
Grundy was 200cm at Collingwood, since moving to Melbourne he's apparently grown 3cm.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.