Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

Post by derkd »

Word is the number of key forward options at the 2023 draft are numerous and better quality then this (2022) draft...so

Is this a crazy idea?...

- Take best available at pick.16 (or whatever it becomes after bidding).

- Package up picks 25 & 27 dangle them to other clubs on draft night to see if we can pick up a or a couple of future firsts for 2023 and attack that draft hard.

This might allow us to push right up the draft order next year to land a real gun. Assuming we have another good 2023 season and our pick is low.

Thoughts and critiquing welcome....
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Podpicken

Re: Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

Post by Podpicken »

[quote="derkd"][/quote]

^

Not crazy at all, and without question most of us get caught up in the moment and don't think ahead. It's (next year) definitely being tipped as a "super draft".
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

It sounds like a "must have" to be in next years draft however we could do something different.
Our hand in 2023 is just the first rounder and IIRC the fourth rounder etc. Please correct me if Im wrong but its not a really good position.

To somehow gain an advantage somehow could some club be so eager to be in next years draft that they make an offer too good to refuse for our 2023 first rounder??

For instance we give them our 2023 first and they give a 2022 first and a 2023 second rounder ?? or something like that.
( they may even give us something special for our 25 and 27 )

I guess its all in the details but bc of our poor hand in 2023 draft maybe its not essential that be there in full metal jacket.
Maybe we can gain an advantage in 2022.
Its also worth noting if you bring forward the picks to 2022 we are putting a years development into some young kids earlier...that in itself is a small advantage.

An answer to a question Im not sure about is how many picks is any club bound to have as a minimum each year ??
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

The NAB Draft I think is a Fox / Kayo live telecast
I have neither so what are options.
Follow it on AFL app -or will Collingwood TV have up to date instant notation
Radio too
Feel this is a very important draft as we have some who will leave by natural attrition
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Someone help me out as to what pick 25 and 27 together equate too? Then drop 25% and maybe we'll get up the order if its even worth the effort.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Haff wrote:Someone help me out as to what pick 25 and 27 together equate too? Then drop 25% and maybe we'll get up the order if its even worth the effort.
1,459 points or equiv Pick 10
https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value ... ator#25,27|
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The thinking is sound but it takes two to tango and the counter argument becomes, if it’s such a good draft, why would anybody want to trade out of it.
Clubs plan list management for years in advance and I’m not sure it’s our intention to be as active in next years draft as some might want, possibly because the vision might be that our overall profile will be young enough as it is. You could ask if we have such grand plans to participate in the 2023 draft, then why did we trade out two 2023 picks like we did ?
We’ve kept our first rounder which is the main thing, so anything of need after that can be fairly easily managed by trading out one or two or swapping out our 2024 picks to participate in 2023.
We will know more in a week.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Every couple of years the next years draft is considered a super draft.
Most times it doesn't eventuate.

A bird in hand is worth more
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

neil wrote:Every couple of years the next years draft is considered a super draft.
Most times it doesn't eventuate.

A bird in hand is worth more
Tend to agree. While it would be nice to have a stronger hand in the 2023 draft, if we were to trade out of this year, we would then be left with having to still draft in three players as a min with pick 16 > a third rounder ( #< 51 ) and a fourth rounder in a speculative draft. Point being, youve got to give something up to get something back.
It might be better to see how the possible draft order for 2023 looks in 12 months time and then for the club to strategise how best to obtain those picks when that time comes around.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

A 'good draft' might suit a club wishing to swap a high pick for a couple of 'lower' high picks,

or

A club after a specific type, which there are many of in the first round.

Good drafts are relative.

I'm not sure I would want to swap my 2 birds in this hand for a bird in next years hand.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

BazBoy wrote:The NAB Draft I think is a Fox / Kayo live telecast

I have neither so what are options.

Follow it on AFL app -or will Collingwood TV have up to date instant notation

Radio too

Feel this is a very important draft as we have some who will leave by natural attrition
DW Baz, we'll have a rolling thread in here I'm sure.

Man I's love to have a Nicks BB radio show. Could do the draft, the VFL games, etc. Would be fun.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Will it get to our call on first night
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Another possibility:

Wright? said salary cap wise, next year we will be better positioned to lure a free agent.

So.....
We will have the mula to attract a player
And we will have the picks to pay for him.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Another possibility:

Wright? said salary cap wise, next year we will be better positioned to lure a free agent.

So.....
We will have the mula to attract a player
And we will have the picks to pay for him.
If its a free agent we are chasing then we don't need any picks to secure him, but we do need salary cap room to be able to fit the large salary a big name free agent would demand.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Yes, but may not necessarily be a free agent

Maybe just a player who wants to come back to Vic, and we have the financial space, and the picks to satisfy his club.

If a player wants to go, the club these days will not send him to the draft if the offer is fair or maybe slightly less.