Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

winpies
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

Pipes1970 wrote:I shudder to think where this society will be 20 years from now….. in fact I can’t believe I have been drawn into commenting on this absolute rubbish….
I just said that to a work colleague when I heard about this! Everybody may as well walk around in the same clothes and never say anything in case you offend someone (or something!)
carn the mighty pies!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 133 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Ginni is my kinda guy. 8)
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

The problem I have is not that he dressed up as a real-life serial killer for Halloween (which I understand how some people can find that offensive, especially if you have some affiliation with victims). The problem I have is that Ginni doesn't seem to have much of a filter for recognising what types of actions may draw negative publicity for himself and the club. A trend of do first, think later is forming here. Which is surprising because he seems like an intelligent thinker on field. We may have another JDG developing here. Good grief!!
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

Dahmer was jailed 30 years ago and died 2 years later, and was the subject apparently of some TV series recently which no doubt is where Ginni got the inspiration for dressing up.

Hardly tone deaf, no real reason to think people would get offended by it, purely innocent behaviour, a kid just having a bit of fun.

Anyone who genuinely got offended by this probably should get some professional support as the problem there isn't with Ginni.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

everyone has an opinion Lazza, and diverse ones should indeed be welcome.

My point there though was if someone says or does something that you find offensive, but no one else does, does the problem lie with them or with you?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by David »

I'd also question how many of the people wagging their finger at him in the comments are even genuinely offended, as opposed to just being supporters of other teams (or busybodies in general) seeing an opportunity to get one over on someone they don't like. Outrage can often be performative and self-serving like that.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

Has there been much fuss? I haven’t seen any! Not watching much if the news though! Busy
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ not on mainstream. Possibly on social media where it's easy to be outraged while remaining anonymous and outrage involves just a few keystrokes.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 133 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Nowadays, there seem to be a lot of people whose very identity is about being offended and being a victim. In the meantime, there are real problems in the world which urgently need addressing.
Presti35
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Presti35 »

How about Kyrie Irving? Imagine if that was Ginni?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
What'sinaname
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Presti35 wrote:How about Kyrie Irving? Imagine if that was Ginni?
What's she done?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Presti35 wrote:How about Kyrie Irving? Imagine if that was Ginni?
Lets not even imagine it.
Franco

Post by Franco »

Are most people actually ok with this? I’m not necessarily offended but I think it’s incredibly poor taste. Yeah there is currently a Netflix series on Dahmer but that doesn’t mean he is someone to impersonate, Halloween or not.

Should have kept it closer to home and dressed up as Ivan Milat, I’m sure that would have gone down much better.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

stui magpie wrote:everyone has an opinion Lazza, and diverse ones should indeed be welcome.

My point there though was if someone says or does something that you find offensive, but no one else does, does the problem lie with them or with you?
The “problem” lies with the person who chooses to be offended and blames everyone else. They need to take responsibility for their feelings of being offended and the possibility that others may not share that view. Like I said, by all means get offended by a movie or tv program or whatever but don’t try to ban it or prevent others from watching it.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️