#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Cracking game by the big man!
BazBoy
Been liked: 43 times

Post by BazBoy »

Love the way he roved the contest for a smart goal
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

BazBoy wrote:Love the way he roved the contest for a smart goal
Is it “roving the contest” when you push the whole pack over from behind ?

;-)
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 60 times

Post by warburton lad »

I recall the turning-point for Mason Cox and his career and it happened earlier this year.

It is well publicised that he can now actually see the ball with his glasses (which helps!!) but the change happened a long way away from the MCG.

Cox was dropped to the VFL and was playing at Coburg against a very week team. He went into the ruck and his opponent began to work him over physically. For the first time in my memory of the big man, he really went hard physically at his opponent. This continued for the remainder of the game.

With the unfortunate Grundy injury and the reality that Cameron and Cox had to share the ruck work, we now see Cox running around the ground and imposing his frame on the game.

The fact that Cox can get unimpeded runs at the ball when played up the ground enables him to play to his greatest strength- his capacity to take the ball at its highest point in transit.

I have little doubt that Cox will only continue to assert himself on games and that he has a few good years left in him yet. I think adding another 5 kilograms to his upper body would only enhance his impact on contests.

For a guy who was 'finished' only a few months back, his AFL career continues to be an amazing story of resilience and persistence.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Good insights Laddy. I agree, he has a few years left in him now....and they could well be his best.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

DP
Last edited by RudeBoy on Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Shamelessly slandered by far too many posters, he rises like an awkward phoenix to reclaim his rightful place in the 22
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by stui magpie »

Yep, he could easily play for another 3 years. Apart from his eyes he's had no physical injuries to speak of.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
hermie

Post by hermie »

[quote="The General"][quote="Pies4shaw"]What is it that Cox is said to be doing, other than battling manfully in a position he isn't really up to playing? He's kicked 6 goals in 15 games , managed not to be hopeless in the ruck (average of 17 hitouts per game), managed 9 disposals and 3 marks per game and we've been slaughtered in the clearances and for contested ball. He's done his best and been admirable - but he's still a VFL-quality player.

Here's the comparison of 2021 Grundy v 2022 Cox - it isn't pretty: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 021&fid2=S[/quote]

They are pretty telling stats.

People forget how good Grundy actually is. They only seem to remember his contract and not his ability.[/quote] these comparisons annoy me..Grundy is an elite player, compare Cox with a second ruck and that's fairer
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Yep there was a loss of patience with Mason (including me)

So with a little egg on face I was hasty

Expect him as a big occasion player to do well over the remaining games we play
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

warburton lad wrote: I have little doubt that Cox will only continue to assert himself on games and that he has a few good years left in him yet. I think adding another 5 kilograms to his upper body would only enhance his impact on contests.
Nah he doesn't need more upper body strength. His issue has always been that he got knocked off his line too regularly. Too top heavy for mine which is fair enough when you're the height of a small cathedral spire.

Leigh Matthews was waxing a bit lyrical on the weekend though about Cox's ability to not get outmarked. This is a new phenomenon enjoyed partially because we are getting it down to him before he can get outnumbered but also because he is keeping position better. If he adds more weight and strength through his hips, it will only improve that. As it is, I'd be interested in knowing how many times he used to get outmarked and how many more scoring shots we are getting as a result of his greater ability now to bring the ball to ground.

Congrats to Coxy for turning it around this year.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

As WL hinted at earlier, I just love the added aggression and physicality that Mason has added to his game. He is becoming an intimidating opponent for the opposition. He is consistently having a significant impact on games. I am rapt that we have him on our list, and as others have commented, I believe that the best is yet to come.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

Did Cox make comments questioning our loyalty to the Monarchy ? I hope not !
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Hiss wrote:Did Cox make comments questioning our loyalty to the Monarchy ? I hope not !
Yes he did
https://twitter.com/masonsixtencox/stat ... 8094904322
Mason sees more importance in his loyalty to the Pies than to a distant monarchy that the Americans disencumbered themselves of in 1776.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins