Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Look maybe it is not even an issue of appearances. Maybe if Ginni just changed his name by deed poll to Joel Selwood that would be enough for umpires to apply the same rules to him.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Duckwood brown noses Umpires so much, they will be wearing his moosh as a hat.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

An open note to Jack.

Post by Haff »

Jack, I implore you to play the whistle, not for the whistle. You’ve been targeted and arguably unfairly but you have to pay the whistle. If you’ve earned the free kick, the whistle will come. If you haven’t, or the free doesn’t come you have to still be relevant in the contest. People keep saying if your name was Selwood they would be paid and maybe so but Selwood plays to the whistle. Sure he drops the knees and rolls the shoulder but he extracts the ball. Makes the tackle. Gets the kick. He doesn’t flop to the ground. He doesn’t accentuate the contract. He doesn’t look to the umpire. Playing for the whistle has cost us goals and arguably cost a two goal swing last night.
Please Jack, play the whistle, not for the whistle!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I could not agree more. If he had not flailed with his arms he might have got that in the back call. But no experienced umpire pays frees that look to be accentuated by the player.
Haff

Post by Haff »

^ or at least mans the Mark and the Don’t wisp it down the other end for a goal.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Meredith1965 wrote:I could not agree more. If he had not flailed with his arms he might have got that in the back call. But no experienced umpire pays frees that look to be accentuated by the player.
So, he has to act like he’s not acting to get a free?

I think the OP is misplaced. Jack does play the whistle. I’ve never seen him whinge even we he’s had his head pulled off.

He’s the recipient of the worst treatment of an individual in many years. It’s not him that has to change. It’s the AFL and the umpires department.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

You mean like every Geelong player regularly throwing their arms out for free kicks, especially deliberate out of bounds? Ginni is not the worst offender, get off his back.
Haff

Post by Haff »

^i want to see him smash it, he could be anything. Go back and look at some of the season. He will get tackled high, not get the free then throw his head back in disappointment.
I’m not berating or blaming him, just want him to “do a Selwood” and if he gets the free it’s a bonus.
He over played the push yesterday. Had he not he might have gotten the free but he would have at least stopped the play on.
The good thing about him is he gets on with it which is great.
Haff

Post by Haff »

dalyc wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:I could not agree more. If he had not flailed with his arms he might have got that in the back call. But no experienced umpire pays frees that look to be accentuated by the player.
So, he has to act like he’s not acting to get a free?

I think the OP is misplaced. Jack does play the whistle. I’ve never seen him whinge even we he’s had his head pulled off.

He’s the recipient of the worst treatment of an individual in many years. It’s not him that has to change. It’s the AFL and the umpires department.
First comment, yes exactly.
Second I disagree but he does get on with it after the fact. His flopping was more the case in point.
Third, unlikely. It’s the way he’s being umpired. Let the club deal with that, he just needs to get on with it..
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

The problem today for him was the forward line structure due to a lack of personnel. He ought to be a front-and-centre rover, not a marking option. Given his size a lot of the ball that goes to him is ridiculous.

In contrast, Jamie and Ash are classical leading forwards, so the lack of a big marking target who should be drawing defenders and clearing channels, also messes them up but in a different way.

Instead, though we have some good entries, too many long bombs are lobbed over everyone's heads, including that of Ginni, because we lack that monster target in tandem with Checkers. This is naturally worse in high pressure games because it's harder to lower the eyes or steady.

Of course, he also still lacks the tank to carry the ball in from up the ground regularly (though he tried to work up the ground today), so that's what his next goal needs to be as we recruit another big forward who can bust packs, clear channels, bring the ball to ground, and take the odd grab off scrubby kicks.

Ginni's game is fine; the forward line structure/balance isn't.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Fair call Haff, however I would go one step further and drop the long sleeve at least so it's harder for the umpires to identify you in a pack.
Get back on top.
choppa
Been liked: 1 time

Post by choppa »

I love Jack but he goes to ground way too easily when we need him to make a contest of a loose ball etc

He is obviously only 19 but needs more strength because he gets shrugged from a tackle so easily.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I thought he was very hard at it for a young player in his first final. I was impressed with his effort. He could easily have had two or three goals if the umpiring had been even adequate - but mainly I thought he competed well.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:I thought he was very hard at it for a young player in his first final. I was impressed with his effort. He could easily have had two or three goals if the umpiring had been even adequate - but mainly I thought he competed well.
Agreed. The thing about this kid is not only what he does on the ball but off it. He’s smart and works damn hard. For such a young player he plays well above his experience and chronological age. I too think the OP is misplaced.

Wasn’t there a song (not a good one at that) called “Do what you do do well” ?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:I thought he was very hard at it for a young player in his first final. I was impressed with his effort. He could easily have had two or three goals if the umpiring had been even adequate - but mainly I thought he competed well.
Agreed. The thing about this kid is not only what he does on the ball but off it. He’s smart and works damn hard. For such a young player he plays well above his experience and chronological age. I too think the OP is misplaced.

Wasn’t there a song (not a good one at that) called “Do what you do do well” ?
Exactly, he never whinges just gets on with it, the op. We’re to watch the game I stead of reading big footy it listening to KC
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!