#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

pietillidie wrote: Already answered and explained if you dare listen a moment. The previous regime did pay too much. But again, as per your other 'insight' on the matter, there are no Nobel prizes for harping on about sunk costs. The task is to work the situation before us to our best favour, bearing in mind no trade is easy, no one gives you what you want, and trades can just as easily lead to worse outcomes.

Add the complication of injury and the fact we've barely seen what the bloke looks like now the McRae system is in full swing, and you're being far too reactionary.
It is Graham Wright who is driving all of this, not any supporters, and he is clearly not viewing this as a sunk cost, but as an area in which he might be able to cut Collingwood's losses, in contrast to hoping that McRae will perform a miracle on this player, which would be like a gambler chasing his losses and going bankrupt.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Wonka wrote:
pietillidie wrote: Already answered and explained if you dare listen a moment. The previous regime did pay too much. But again, as per your other 'insight' on the matter, there are no Nobel prizes for harping on about sunk costs. The task is to work the situation before us to our best favour, bearing in mind no trade is easy, no one gives you what you want, and trades can just as easily lead to worse outcomes.

Add the complication of injury and the fact we've barely seen what the bloke looks like now the McRae system is in full swing, and you're being far too reactionary.
It is Graham Wright who is driving all of this, not any supporters, and he is clearly not viewing this as a sunk cost, but as an area in which he might be able to cut Collingwood's losses, in contrast to hoping that McRae will perform a miracle on this player, which would be like a gambler chasing his losses and going bankrupt.
So now your divining the mind of Graeme Wright, a bloke who rarely if ever speaks publicly, let alone divulges anything.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

pietillidie wrote: So now your divining the mind of Graeme Wright, a bloke who rarely if ever speaks publicly, let alone divulges anything.
The reactions of everyone, both on the club side and in the Grundy camp, to reports and questions in the last couple of months have made it bleeding obvious that the club is looking to trade out Grundy. It was reported that, out of respect for the player, Graham Wright has kept Grundy's management in the loop, so they are fully aware of Wright's intentions, and if this report were not true, Grundy's manager would have denied it immediately, because it makes his client look unwanted, but instead he's been completely silent, which is just about his only option if the report is true.
Last edited by Wonka on Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids

Post by Skids »

Yes, I mentioned that on page 1 David...
Skids wrote:His goal, mark deep in defence and the handball to Pendles that then went on to McCreery for his sensational goal, all in the last quarter were 3 acts that were instrumental in our comeback.

As you say rude, he just keeps plugging away and that's all you can ask for.
4 of our 6 losses this year, Mason was out of the side, including the game against the cats.
Imagine if he can reproduce his best next week, he will be unstoppable!
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Wonka wrote:
pietillidie wrote: So now your divining the mind of Graeme Wright, a bloke who rarely if ever speaks publicly, let alone divulges anything.
The reactions of everyone, both on the club side and in the Grundy camp, to reports and questions in the last couple of months have made it bleeding obvious that the club is looking to trade out Grundy.
And so you shift again, swapping out Graeme Wright for 'everyone', the 'Grundy camp' and 'reports'. Desperate much? You must really hate a bloke who carried the team for Buckley and has never had the chance to enjoy life under the McRae system now it's in full flight.

I do think everything will be looked at because the previous regime did pay too much, but the ultimate decision may still not be to your liking. Why would other teams rate Grundy so much higher than you do, such that they will give us a deal that will leave us better off? And the harder people go at Grundy for whatever puerile reason, the worse the trade equation gets. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

As I said:
pietillidie wrote:Presumably every single trade opportunity would be considered as a matter of process, long or short odds, but particularly if there are known suitors or team deficiencies. Not to mention the knowledge gained from a finals series, which is a good test of where things stand in relation to the competition.

But the gap between that process and a deal that genuinely improves the club, is still a mountain to climb in it's own right, even if everyone happens to be on the same page.

And that's where those involved will really earn their money. They don't hand out Nobel prizes for winning a coin toss (will stay/will go), I'm afraid.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

pietillidie wrote:
Wonka wrote:
The reactions of everyone, both on the club side and in the Grundy camp, to reports and questions in the last couple of months have made it bleeding obvious that the club is looking to trade out Grundy.
And so you shift again, swapping out Graeme Wright for 'everyone', the 'Grundy camp' and 'reports'. Desperate much? You must really hate a bloke who carried the team for Buckley and has never had the chance to enjoy life under the McRae system now it's in full flight.
By "everyone", I mean the club (the statements of multiple people within the club, including the coach, which are all variations of "no comment"), Grundy, Grundy's manager (who, as I said before, was silent when he should have and would have put out a denial if the report were not true, because it's bad for his client), and even Simon Goodwin (who refused to comment when asked about Grundy, and then switched to speaking about Jackson). You are obviously too emotionally tilted to see the bleeding obvious, or else you would acknowledge it and just argue that Graham Wright is wrong. As for Graham Wright, he is the one who is currently responsible for list management at Collingwood, so I don't know why you want to waffle about "swapping out".

pietillidie wrote: Why would other teams rate Grundy so much higher than you do, such that they will give us a deal that will leave us better off? And the harder people go at Grundy for whatever puerile reason, the worse the trade equation gets. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
We do not know how much other teams will rate Grundy, but obviously, for Colllingwood's sake, we have to hope they value him very highly so that they make the best possible offer for Graham Wright to work with, or else he'll either have to take a bad deal or no deal at all.
Last edited by Wonka on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skids

Post by Skids »

mudlark

Re: Apologies to Mason Cox

Post by mudlark »

RudeBoy wrote:Since Grundy went down injured and we were forced to turn to Cox, I reckon he's played the most consistently good football of his career. He hasn't always been great or even very good, but he has been a valuable contributor week in week out. For that, I owe the big fella an apology. After a terrible game from him earlier in the year (against Brisbane perhaps?) I gave up on him and never wanted to see him play for us again. I labelled the "US experiment" a complete and utter failure - apart from his 2018 Prelim performance.

I was wrong. It seems that Cox has revelled in being an actual ruckman, rather than a lumbering key forward. Who'd have thought a 7 ft tall player would make a good ruckman? No doubt, getting his eyesight sorted out helped him, but I also think he deserves the credit for persevering and improving himself as a player, knowing the team was relying in him in its hour of need.
He's won us at least 3 games with his ruck work. I saw live the Gold Coast game . We quickly went 3 goals down in the first quarter and Fly put Cox into the ruck. We quickly matched those 3 goals and he did it at 3 different times during that game . The forward experiment didn't work because the slow play from out of our backline allowed the other team to get 3 or 4 of their big men onto Mason and he had no chance.He is easily a better "Ruckman: than Cameron , but that's no slight on Darcy by the way.I also think Grundy is better than both of them and hopefully we can find a way to play them all in the same team. As for the comment the hopefully there will be a thread like this for Callum Brown. I doubt it. He won't be a Magpie next year is my thought.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Moved this post to the Grundy thread...
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by stui magpie »

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:We're probably a little off topic here but fair to say Grundy was the hottest property in the AFL at one point - The point of his contract negotiations of course :-)

Let me add statistics have a place but footy is subjective.
There is no one stat that will tell you what wins games of footy,... except the scoreboard at the end.
Correct. All the stats except the scoreboard said we should not have beaten Carlton or Melbourne.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Apologies to Mason Cox

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Since Grundy went down injured and we were forced to turn to Cox, I reckon he's played the most consistently good football of his career. He hasn't always been great or even very good, but he has been a valuable contributor week in week out. For that, I owe the big fella an apology. After a terrible game from him earlier in the year (against Brisbane perhaps?) I gave up on him and never wanted to see him play for us again. I labelled the "US experiment" a complete and utter failure - apart from his 2018 Prelim performance.

I was wrong. It seems that Cox has revelled in being an actual ruckman, rather than a lumbering key forward. Who'd have thought a 7 ft tall player would make a good ruckman? No doubt, getting his eyesight sorted out helped him, but I also think he deserves the credit for persevering and improving himself as a player, knowing the team was relying in him in its hour of need.
He's won us at least 3 games with his ruck work. I saw live the Gold Coast game . We quickly went 3 goals down in the first quarter and Fly put Cox into the ruck. We quickly matched those 3 goals and he did it at 3 different times during that game . The forward experiment didn't work because the slow play from out of our backline allowed the other team to get 3 or 4 of their big men onto Mason and he had no chance.He is easily a better "Ruckman: than Cameron , but that's no slight on Darcy by the way.I also think Grundy is better than both of them and hopefully we can find a way to play them all in the same team. As for the comment the hopefully there will be a thread like this for Callum Brown. I doubt it. He won't be a Magpie next year is my thought.
You can say the same about the Melbourne game. Cameron was being annihilated by Gawn. Cameron, although 204cm has trouble against the bigger ruckmen. Mason Cox more than covered himself against Gawn. Cameron alone is not going to carry us in the ruck whereas Grundy is the sort of ruckman who can go all day. So if we lose Grundy we have to go with Cameron and one other ruckman.