#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

One day there will be a similar post for Callum Brown
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Hopefully.

Good post Rudey, I always had faith in Cox, great to see him step up.

He may be 31 but has had little in the way of physical injuries apart from his eyes, he could easily play AFL for another 5 years. While he still looks like a baby Giraffe at times, we would have been buggered without him (and Cameron) this year.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Good post. After his Brisbane game, I thought the writing was on the wall for him.

Always liked him, love to chant USA and all that, but I thought he just could't put it together for long enough. And was happily wrong.

Think it was Sly on the Rant that was calling for Cox to be a pure ruckman, so kudos to him and the others for keeping the faith.

And I hope there is a similar post for Callum Brown and all the others that get whipped here lol
Skids
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

His goal, mark deep in defence and the handball to Pendles that then went on to McCreery for his sensational goal, all in the last quarter were 3 acts that were instrumental in our comeback.

As you say rude, he just keeps plugging away and that's all you can ask for.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

What is it that Cox is said to be doing, other than battling manfully in a position he isn't really up to playing? He's kicked 6 goals in 15 games , managed not to be hopeless in the ruck (average of 17 hitouts per game), managed 9 disposals and 3 marks per game and we've been slaughtered in the clearances and for contested ball. He's done his best and been admirable - but he's still a VFL-quality player.

Here's the comparison of 2021 Grundy v 2022 Cox - it isn't pretty: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 021&fid2=S
duke750

Post by duke750 »

The comparison is very useful, but Grundy is not available to facecGeelong.no think the point of this thread is that Cox was always a better runcknthan key forward.
Magpies forever.
First Colligwood game: Western Oval 1960
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

I too was critical of his playing ability and I was critical way before the Brisbane game. I was excited at first and when he took richmond to the cleaners in that final, well I was feeling happy with his lot.
However after that he didnt click for whatever reason, be it coaching or being played out of position and thats when I thought 1 game here and there wasnt what we needed.
As supporters we can be demanding but sometimes not actually supporting.
So I would like to apologise for being impatient and well done Rudeboy for bringing this topic to the fore.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:What is it that Cox is said to be doing, other than battling manfully in a position he isn't really up to playing? He's kicked 6 goals in 15 games , managed not to be hopeless in the ruck (average of 17 hitouts per game), managed 9 disposals and 3 marks per game and we've been slaughtered in the clearances and for contested ball. He's done his best and been admirable - but he's still a VFL-quality player.

Here's the comparison of 2021 Grundy v 2022 Cox - it isn't pretty: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 021&fid2=S
It's clearly possible to be complimentary toward Cox without denigrating Grundy, no need to thread shit or defend Grundy.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Mason Cox has created a new quality in his game. I was just stoked to see how he has added some real physicality and aggression to his game. Against Carlton, he threw his body in. He made his presence felt in numerous contests, getting the ball to flow our way, and physcially smashing the opposition in the process. I was really happy with the game he played against Carlton.
If we are to play more than two finals, Cox's new physicality will undoubtedly play a major role in that.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I thought at the end of last year we should have cut ties with Mason Cox and kept Max Lynch. As it panned out Max Lynch has done nothing at Hawthorn while Mason Cox has been completed rejuvenated having regained his spot when Grundy went down injured. So you're not the only one wrong RudeBoy. Me too.
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

Pies4shaw wrote:What is it that Cox is said to be doing, other than battling manfully in a position he isn't really up to playing? He's kicked 6 goals in 15 games , managed not to be hopeless in the ruck (average of 17 hitouts per game), managed 9 disposals and 3 marks per game and we've been slaughtered in the clearances and for contested ball. He's done his best and been admirable - but he's still a VFL-quality player.

They are pretty telling stats.

People forget how good Grundy actually is. They only seem to remember his contract and not his ability.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Praise of Mason Cox does not equate to criticism of Grundy.
I think this is a fairly simple concept.
Why do posters think that those who are acknowledging Cox in his current role are implicitly saying that Grundy is not a champion?
Hard to fathom this binary mode of thought.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Skids
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

The General wrote:

People forget how good Grundy actually is. They only seem to remember his contract and not his ability.
I like that table.

An interesting one to compare in there, go through each season and Cox averages; More marks, more contested marks & more marks inside 50 nearly every season. He's also up there with the 1%'s.

Not suggesting for a minute that he's in Grundy's class, but the big fella is definitely having a dip. I just hope he can hold on to a few more of those marks. We really need him to be in his best form for this finals series.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Magpietothemax wrote:
The General wrote:

Praise of Mason Cox does not equate to criticism of Grundy.
I think this is a fairly simple concept.
Why do posters think that those who are acknowledging Cox in his current role are implicitly saying that Grundy is not a champion?
Hard to fathom this binary mode of thought.
I thought it would be useful to compare his output with that of an actual ruckman, playing at the required standard. You could compare him to Gawn, Naitanui etc, Here's Gawn:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

The comparison is no more flattering.