Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Shit of the SCG to put TV coverage of Jack on the big screen at the ground when he was on the bench with an injury so the feral hipster Swans supporters could boo him more. He stated after a match recently that it has taken a mental toll, but BT and co had a giggle over it. That was a bitter smile from Jack by the way, he was seething inside.
That's just a guess. He was doorstop interviewed on 7 coming out of scans and when asked about it, he grinned and said "No Comment"

I personally very much doubt he was seething, he's the kind of character who's likely had opposition players and fans abusing him since under 10's. I reckon he thrives on it, but not so much all the media harassment labeling him a cheat for "drawing" free kicks.

The things I like about this kid are he's a smart footballer, a team player and a great finisher. Yeah, he could chase and tackle more but that will take time as it's not how he's programmed. I also love how he's happy to be the provocateur on field, celebrate the good but shows almost zero dissent when things don't go his way. You want the ball in his hands anywhere inside 50.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Jack is just a kid, a cheeky kid, but by golly, he can kick great goals. He was due for a rest, two wks off, then the first Final, Henry can replace him, like for like, logical. Tay said the Swans fickle fans who booed Jack after he got injured, are just GRUBS, well said Tay, they are, obnoxious dickheads whose flooding Club cannot survive without always having a Marquee player, be it Lockett, Hall, Buddy and now they want Dusty too.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Not a guess, Stui. Hamstring injury might give him the break he needs.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/emo ... 5b9zp.html

Longmire, Taylor Adams, Dale Thomas and others have publicly denounced the Sydney booing and treatment of Jack.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

According to Tony Jones, the ABC footydept, ran a poll, or something, on how to correctly Boo Jack Ginnivan, how too boo him the best, I am utterly gobsmacked, never, ever, have I seen a kid playing for the Magpies, who has copped this much flak, in first full season, never. And ive been a Piesman for nigh on 60 long yrs. Its just disgraceful, worse than Goodes got.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

hes white so no one cares

i do
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Piesnchess wrote:According to Tony Jones, the ABC footydept, ran a poll, or something, on how to correctly Boo Jack Ginnivan, how too boo him the best, I am utterly gobsmacked, never, ever, have I seen a kid playing for the Magpies, who has copped this much flak, in first full season, never. And ive been a Piesman for nigh on 60 long yrs. Its just disgraceful, worse than Goodes got.
Nowhere near what Goodes endured, but still shit. And I’m filthy with ABC if true, when did TJ call them out? He’s been very vocal about the crap
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Not a guess, Stui. Hamstring injury might give him the break he needs.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/emo ... 5b9zp.html

Longmire, Taylor Adams, Dale Thomas and others have publicly denounced the Sydney booing and treatment of Jack.
I did read that, I stand by the view, largely expressed there, that it was the constant Media circus that was getting to him, not some peanuts in the crowd.

I don't particularly like booing players, I don't do it, but regardless I do agree that it's not bad timing for him to get a refresh before finals.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Collingwood supporters complaining about a player being booed is always going to fall on deaf ears.

Good to read that Horse had a bit of a go at his own supporters.

Hopefully Pies put in a case for Pies to not play in Sydney for the next decade to prevent Ginni being subjected to unwarranted booing.
88MPH

Post by 88MPH »

^^^^^
Why should anyone be surprised. It's the ABC mate. Your ABC.

What an absolute joke of an organisation they are - they pick and choose those Australians that they like and those that they don't. And as Bruce Springsteen famously sang "don't get caught on the wrong side of that line".

If true, their treatment of a 19 year kid in his first year of elite level sport highlights just how irrelevant and deplorable they truly are.
3KZ is football
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Not just the ABC on anti Collingwood stuff, ive heard shock jocks, have digs at us for yrs, and that Anthony Hudson, few yrs back, ran a radio poll, whats better, beating Collingwood in a Grand Final, by ten goals, or by one point, little smartare, even Dermott Brereton was appalled by that gem.

swooper
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

88MPH wrote:^^^^^

What an absolute joke of an organisation they are - they pick and choose those Australians that they like and those that they don't. And as Bruce Springsteen famously sang "don't get caught on the wrong side of that line".

If true, their treatment of a 19 year kid in his first year of elite level sport highlights just how irrelevant and deplorable they truly are.
Its not true. I am an ABC listener and they have never said this or encouraged this behaviour.

However the media discussion is very poor around this issue in general
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Gerard was very strong on this last night on Afl360. This is a disgrace. I agree. I actually got into an argument at the scg with some muppet booing him. He’s a 19 year old kid. That was my response. He’s just a kid. Slobbo was his usual incompetent drunkard. He brought it upon himself. Gerard ignores him. The afl should be ashamed for how they let this happen. And as for that Cornes jerk. Well done. You ridiculed a kid for your own aggrandisement.
Dispatches from a foreign land
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

If anyone boos Ginnivan or talks sh$& about him in the media they can get farked. He is a young professional sportsman trying to make his way in the world. He hasn’t acted liked a dickhead or down dirty acts on the field and neither does he have a reputation for off field antics.

It’s good to see the club and supporters back him in. He is a real talent.

We should take on anyone who does otherwise.

It is best not to compare his situation with others as they are all different.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

88MPH wrote:^^^^^

If the ABC was privately owned, they’d be broke and go under.

That is absolutely disgraceful if true about Ginnivan. The club needs to stand up for their players and not p*ssy foot around the gutter media.
- Side By Side -
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

slangman wrote:
If the ABC was privately owned, they’d be broke and go under.
True, but they aren't and that wouldn't be a good thing, at minimum they provide the best overall news service to the country.
That is absolutely disgraceful if true about Ginnivan. The club needs to stand up for their players and not p*ssy foot around the gutter media.
IF true, I'm not clear where it was allegedly done or who should be responsible., but yes the club should express their concerns strongly.