So, do we have great forward depth now?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

So, do we have great forward depth now?

Post by Piesnchess »

Its truly amazing, last week i was calling for us to try and get Sam Weidemann off Melbourne, because of our lack of forward depth, as I perceived it. However, now i have changed my mind, after this weekend. We DO have forward depth, to help out Checkers and Elliott, im talking bout Carmichael, and the other kid, Ash Johnson. Both these youngsters played great games, looked naturals booted nice goals marked well , and when you add Henry too them, we really do and will have, an imposing forward line. Plus of course, Jack Ginnivan, and Cameron can play forward too, and when De Goey returns, he can beef up the center, along with Grundy.

So, seems we dont need Weideman now, is that the way of it now, we really do have a bumper forward line to look forward too. :o :D
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Totally agree, we seem to have some versatility in this area, and we can include Kruger in the mix as well, he seems like a bull that will crash packs and kick goals, hopefully he can stay on the park though!
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Kane Cornes, the mouth of the south, seems to think we lack potent forwards, then again, he thinks Buddy is not amongst the 200 best players playing now, so he really does not count, total moron village idiot.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

We have good options we can work with, genuinely multiple avenues to goal but Krueger has potential and promise, not runs on the board and Checkers and Cox aren't getting younger so we do need to invest in KPP at the draft and if a good one in the right age profile is available by trade or FA, go for it.

Note, I said good one, not McStay.

I've also carried hald a mongrel over the idea of getting the Weed, but I've sadly come to the conclusion that if he's the answer, the question is wrong.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We are still missing a genuine tall power forward. Hopefully Krueger can fill that role next year.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote:We have good options we can work with, genuinely multiple avenues to goal but Krueger has potential and promise, not runs on the board and Checkers and Cox aren't getting younger so we do need to invest in KPP at the draft and if a good one in the right age profile is available by trade or FA, go for it.

Note, I said good one, not McStay.

I've also carried hald a mongrel over the idea of getting the Weed, but I've sadly come to the conclusion that if he's the answer, the question is wrong.
Interesting stat came to light over the weekend on Weideman. He is rated as the the #1 worst defensive pressure forward in the the entire competition !!
Ben Brown is rated as the second worst and that is supposedly one of the key reasons why they can’t stop scores being kicked against them
( Fritsch was ranked 9th )
These are things you don’t see unless you go and watch these guys every week.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:I've also carried hald a mongrel over the idea of getting the Weed...
At first I thought you'd gone all Shakespearian on us, literally Googling 'to carry hald', thinking it might be an Old English expression. How's that for naive? :lol:
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

:lol:

Hope you figured out it was a typo and I meant to type "half" not "hald". :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: SO, we DO have great forward depth now. !

Post by Mossi »

Piesnchess wrote:Its truly amazing, last week i was calling for us to try and get Sam Weidemann off Melbourne, because of our lack of forward depth, as I perceived it. However, now i have changed my mind, after this weekend. We DO have forward depth, to help out Checkers and Elliott, im talking bout Carmichael, and the other kid, Ash Johnson. Both these youngsters played great games, looked naturals booted nice goals marked well , and when you add Henry too them, we really do and will have, an imposing forward line. Plus of course, Jack Ginnivan, and Cameron can play forward too, and when De Goey returns, he can beef up the center, along with Grundy.

So, seems we dont need Weideman now, is that the way of it now, we really do have a bumper forward line to look forward too. :o :D
RE Sam Weidermann. I happen to be sitting next to Sams Cousin while watching our fabulous comeback on the queens birthday game. We talked about Sam, I said that Sam stated he had no intention to play for Collingwood! Take it as you want but this Cousin said that Sam will be at Collingwood!! Looking at those stats and the fact that Brown is preferred to Sam at the Dees, I hope we have other solutions! I am sure Wrighty will come up with a player for a KPF.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ The original Weed played a bit before my time, going to the footy, my older bro idolised him though, he was a kid at the 1958 GF, when Murray was our Captain, and ran onto the ground, with thousands, going nuts, after the siren. I guess it would be nice, sentimental value, having the name Weideman back with us, the myth of the name, but i guess that has no place in modern day footy, hey. I just wish he played for some other team, not Melbourne, whom is Grandad utterly despised. ! LOL

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Mossi wrote:
RE Sam Weidermann. I happen to be sitting next to Sams Cousin while watching our fabulous comeback on the queens birthday game. We talked about Sam, I said that Sam stated he had no intention to play for Collingwood! Take it as you want but this Cousin said that Sam will be at Collingwood!! Looking at those stats and the fact that Brown is preferred to Sam at the Dees, I hope we have other solutions! I am sure Wrighty will come up with a player for a KPF.
Well if it's next year we'd have to trade for him as he's contracted to the end of 2023 when he becomes a restricted free agent..

Despite the knocks, he actually stacks up well against McStay and is 2 years younger

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=O&fid2=O
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

^

But can he hold down a key position in defence like McStay? Probably not.
Last edited by The General on Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Return of the baldfacts

Post by Return of the baldfacts »

^

Garry Lyon on On the Couch said that Weideman is the worst pressure forward in the AFL. Second worst was Ben Brown. Hasn't set the world on fire, so can't see why we would be interested.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pressure is just about effort not skill. Does anyone know what goes into measuring what is a good or bad pressure forward?

Is it 1%s, tackles or some magic algorithm?
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

A change of coach and environment can help improve, invigorate and motivate a player. I wouldn’t mind the Weed at Collingwood if it happens.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️