#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

AJ

Post by AJ »

His role should be booking a one way ticket to Texas.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Still Useless
I am Da Man
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

AJ wrote:His role should be booking a one way ticket to Texas.
If this was Twitter or Facebook, you'd have a thousand ticks by now.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ Probably. Lots of people think smart =*×$, off hand, flippant comments are clever and worth a like.
However, as this is supposedly a discussion forum, I'd be more interested in reading objective reasons, before trashing a player in such a way. It would get a thumbs down from me .
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Okay here are my objective comments and reasons. I have generally refrained from knocking Cox and tried very hard to be fair but I have reached my limit. He is doing his best but his best is just not good enough. It’s infuriating to watch him be led under the ball by rookie defenders or drop marks he should take with his huge height advantage. He hasn’t sadly learnt any footy smarts after so many seasons. I hope I’m wrong but he don’t think he has any improvement left in him when it’s critical that he improves. A no win situation.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Lazza, I can appreciate why Coxy has disappointed you with his performance. I agree - what you describe is a frustrating aspect of his play. I reckon it's a problem that the coaches and especially Coxy would be trying like hell to rectify. Sadly, that may well turn out to be impossible, as I reckon it could be a confidence thing. He will always have value as a decoy forward
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Getting a 7 foot Yank on our list, as an international rookie, was worth doing as an experiment. However, it has been clear to me and quite a few of my fellow Nicksters, that, despite the big guys best efforts, the experiment failed, and we should have moved him on 2 yrs ago.

I applaud Cox for giving it his all, and I will never forget his amazing 10 minute 3 goal spell in the 2018 Prelim against the Tigers. Thanks for memories Coxy.

Time to move on and make way for Cameron and/or Kruger to fill our key marking forward role.

Post by #26 »

^Agree. I felt quite deflated yesterday watching him going for the ball with one arm and miss timing leads as he does.
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

The brilliant lead and dropped chest mark in the second qtr was hard to watch.
He nearly won us a grand final so we can't knock his career, but I think it's the end for him now. If only he kicked it properly with 6:10 to go in the granny.
Croat Pie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Croat Pie »

He single-handedly stopped Richmond from a 4-peat.
Worth all the money in the world.
Croat Pie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Croat Pie »

He single-handedly stopped Richmond from a 4-peat.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

RudeBoy wrote:

Getting a 7 foot Yank on our list, as an international rookie, was worth doing as an experiment. However, it has been clear to me and quite a few of my fellow Nicksters, that, despite the big guys best efforts, the experiment failed, and we should have moved him on 2 yrs ago.

I applaud Cox for giving it his all, and I will never forget his amazing 10 minute 3 goal spell in the 2018 Prelim against the Tigers. Thanks for memories Coxy.

Time to move on and make way for Cameron and/or Kruger to fill our key marking forward role.
I appreciate your thoughts RB.

I wouldn't call Coxy a failed experiment, because that Prelim final burst will go down in Collingwood, Richmond and footy history in general as an exceptional moment in our sport. It was worth it for that alone I reckon. :lol:

Don't know about moving him on 2 years ago either. Even given his debilitating eye injury, who else did we have to replace him within that time span except Cameron, who has been just serviceable to date IMO.. Kruger is certainly a potential candidate for the tall, big marking forward position.

However, if the catalysts of a new coaching staff and supportive eye wear don't reap obvious rewards, then yep, it's most likely time up for Coxy. :(
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Croat Pie wrote:He single-handedly stopped Richmond from a 4-peat.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

It's 2022, 2018 was a long time ago.

If I hear one more time that he "brings the ball to ground" as if it's a game influencing statistic, I'll go full Terry Wallace.

And the reference to standing on the mark and jumping up as an example of footy smarts? C'mon. That's not smarts, that's genetics. In any event he's meant to be a bloody forward, not standing marks in the backline.

If you're a big man, play as a big man. You use your size to influence the contest, and as a forward take marks.
His ruck-work is agricultural.

Cox is 30 and is simply taking the position of another player, albeit one we don't have.
On the field, he's not going to show younger players how it's done. Off the field, maybe. But what can he offer by way of skills legacy?

I shot a 78 in golf once, never looked like breaking 80 since. The 2018 was his epitaph on the Tigers 2018 season and we'll be forever thankful for it but FFS, it's time to close this book.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Skids
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Yep, have to agree LH.

I'm guilty of thinking the big fella can repeat 'that' performance on a consistent basis... fanciful really.

I ran a sub 3:45 marathon about 5 years ago.
Don't count the days, make the days count.