#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 43 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

He still looked like he was being pushed off the ball around the ruck and in marking contests against Hawthorn. Didnt seem like anything had changed TBH.
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

You rub Cox the wrong way and he bulks up!!
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Cox has a role - McRae

Post by stui magpie »

In a wide-ranging interview with AFL.com.au, McRae outlined a significant role change for the 211cm big man, whose career was in question at the end of last season after playing just seven matches under Nathan Buckley and his temporary replacement as coach, Robert Harvey.

"Mason came into the system and I spent six weeks with him when everyone else was on leave, and I upskilled him on some of the nuances of the game, kicks, marks and handballs and those sorts of things,” said McRae, who was a Pies assistant coach at the time of Cox’s arrival.

"Every time he misses a kick, I get blamed for it, every time he kicks a goal, I get a little head nod. It is interesting being seven-foot tall, and you play somewhat of an uncontested brand. I'm not sure if that suits him.

"I think this year we are going to kick to a lot more contests, and we will be asking Mason to get to those contests, and work hard to get the ball to ground, and if he can do that for us, he will have a role to play in our team."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/712447/dogs ... pRWfKWt090
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

“ get to contests and bring the ball to ground”. Just mark the dam thing.
no second chances

Post by #26 »

Who will he be keeping out of the team Krueger or Cameron? Because they all can't play with Checkers in the forward line. Personally I would be giving games to Krueger and Cameron ahead of Cox because I think they have more upside.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Dave The Man »

#26 wrote:Who will he be keeping out of the team Krueger or Cameron? Because they all can't play with Checkers in the forward line. Personally I would be giving games to Krueger and Cameron ahead of Cox because I think they have more upside.
He be Competing with Cameron as the Forward/Ruck
I am Da Man
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We need to very careful drawing comparisons between both players past performances. They will be different players under a new coaching panel and likely have different roles ( albeit same position ) that come with different expectations.
Cox is now wearing glasses because he believes it will improve him and Cameron was at least on an upward curve towards the end of last season. My suggestion is to just sit back and enjoy the battle between the both of them. Nothing better than healthy competition for spots.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Re: Cox has a role - McRae

Post by LaurieHolden »

stui magpie wrote:

"I think this year we are going to kick to a lot more contests, and we will be asking Mason to get to those contests, and work hard to get the ball to ground, and if he can do that for us, he will have a role to play in our team."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/712447/dogs ... pRWfKWt090
Post reading and listening to several Club interviews, it's clear to me Cox is on the outer unless he can play the role of a big man, hitting packs, influencing the contest.
Cameron and Kreuger are ahead of him and I think it'll be a while before we hear "USA, USA' echoed around the ground again.

Fly has been using the media in a gentle way to publicly flag to the players the job ahead of them e.g. effectively telling Josh Daicos the wing is his to make his own, if Cox is a big man, he needs to play like a big man, Lipinski will be given every opportunity to prove the Dogs wrong.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Previously the List and group were treated progressively more and more 'equally', In that, everyone's role is easily interchangeable with their respective 'backup'.

Reliance on a specific player exposes the side in case of injury... ie.. the 100 a year goalkicker is injured in the Semi. This problem gave rise to the squad mentality.

Hard for me to prove my point, but now it feels we have delineated first, and reserves.

To add, it seems we are playing players to their strengths and not just the role's requirement.

Its a small step, but changes a lot. Went too far, now we are back on track.
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by neil »

Fly is hardly going to say there is no spot for him and cannot see him playing senior football again.
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

Happy if he gets a game but only in the right conditions.
Not sure playing him on a wet mcg at dusk will suit his new eyewear.

Playing him round 1 at Marvel is a good decision.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

The fact that Cox is on the list at all must have been on the coach’s orders, so he did not do that, and then never play him
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

This is not news. Cox always had a role to bring the ball down on the forward line.
He just needs to do it more often.

Cox could easily force his way back into the side. He has the proven ability to do so.
With his renewed confidence, I would not be surprised that he could once again become a weapon.
If he did well consistently, he could help the team into the top eight, even this year.

I think he needs to be given a chance to get some form in the seniors and help the dynamic small players around him.
Think Elliott and Ginnivan, they would thrive with expectation of greater supply at ground level.

I think I'm stating the obvious...
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
BazBoy
Been liked: 43 times

Post by BazBoy »

On today’s game his role is hard to fathom

Maybe the fullness of time will illuminate me
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right