Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

We'd have won that game if JDG was available... but yeah major problems if he's not playing and that is a serious issue - to be an effective team, we can't be pinning our hopes to individuals to win a game of football.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

El Popo wrote:Lets not be too negative. we were missing 4 of our top ten players

If we play the Lions in the GF and had
Howe
De Goey
Treloar
Sidebottom

available, I'd back us to win
Plus an even break between games, not 13 days to our 5. And Brisbane only travelling outside Qld 3 times this year. Last night reminded me of the Melbourne game, same issue with uneven breaks. It showed in our lack of two way running and fatigued decision making. Brisbane were close to full, and we were half empty.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Answer: they kicked as many goals in the other quarter as we kicked for the entire match.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jatsad
Been liked: 16 times

Post by jatsad »

What'sinaname wrote:Almost won the game once Phillips went off injured.....interesting.
He was terrible, personally responsible for 3 goals, 2 to Brisbane and 1 he missed for us.

Maybe the rumours are true and he is off to Gold Coast
Jatsad - That is all
jatsad

Post by jatsad »

Haff wrote:Move Moore forward was not the answer
We'll never know.
Have a look at that last quarter again and see how many times we actually kicked the ball to him with any chance of getting it.
Beyond terrible.
Jatsad - That is all
jatsad

Re: Yep

Post by jatsad »

Hiss wrote:Looks like the same trolls on here that defend our performance tonight are likely to think the low scoring games is a sign the competition is in great shape. I guess they are the same gutless opinionated clowns who sit back with their welfare lifestyles and reckon our Governments are doing a great job too! Nation wreckers, the new class of opinionated apathetic Australian. We were pathetic tonight again. Look at how many handballs in panic. We don’t have the confidence playing football anymore . A boring club that has no game plan and no future. We are actually getting worse. And stop criticising people for calling it out. We have every right to. Paid up members who couldn’t even use our memberships this year watching wealthy footballers and the brigade of officials enjoying luxury up there. Not good enough Collingwood. At least play with some respect for your suffering supporters in Victoria. Oh by the way ! Does anyone know where Eddie is?
Well said. I am also sick and tired of people criticizing supporters for voicing a negative opinion. We have every right to. If YOU don't like it then YOU piss off.
Jatsad - That is all
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Reasons for the loss but not excuses. Fixturing idiosyncrasies, the amount of current injuries among the top 12 - 15 players and (in all reality and fact based), never having the rub of the green go our way and fatigue/soreness. I think the break will help with a few of these concerns but not all. We appear to be running behind the pack. My view is that we may just fall into the finals but will not make the granny. This is not our year due to the reasons above.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

WarrenerraW wrote:Forward line set up
Forward line coach (?harvey)
Lack of a genuine forward target (the top 4 teams have them - we don't)
Kicking to the opposition when we do go forward
Taking too long to move the ball forward
Skill errors: kicking to the feet or over the head of team mates
Poor decision making
Turnovers
No crumbers
This is depressing me so I'll stop here.
There is something that needs a royal commission into this.
All the stats show our forwards are terrible.
Something drastic needs to be done
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

I dont buy the 5 day break vs 12. Not yesterday. They were 2 down on the bench and we had all the momentum in the last. 15 to 4 inside 50s so it wasn’t a problem of getting the pill.

Too many players have poor skills and many make poor decisions under pressure. Unfortunately this is not a quick fix we will have to go to the draft and look for good ball users.

They say Bianco is a good ball user, well if he is then he must come in to give him a taste, dont go to Varcoe as a replacement for Tom (I ran 10km for 5 kicks) Philips.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
jatsad

Post by jatsad »

bally12 wrote:Wake me up when the careers of Phillips, Greenwood, Noble, are over.

Buckley, sorry...you're a good guy but not a coach. You've appointed your best mate as forward coach in Sanderson. He was both a failed coach and never a forward. His "player review" skits on the Collingwood website are embarrassing.
When you watch a game of footy like that and see our problems laid out so bare, and then in Buckley's after-match interview not touch on any one of them, Who are we kidding here?

Here's the reality..

Moore's not a forward. He doesn't have the game for it, and neither the kicking skills. He can be a great defender..he showed that last week.
Grundy...wtf is he doing with his tap-work? Like seriously wtf. Enough of these dinky taps to his feet. Tap it far enough to an outside contest or smash it forward if you can.
Maynard, you are awesome mate. We need more like you.
Both Browns...you need to work on flattening your kicking and kicking with power instead of these dinky kicks you do. Same applies for the the loopy handballs. Cut it out.
I mean if you're pretending to be a footballer, kicking is what it's all about. Your number one priority as a footballer should always be to make your kicking a weapon.
In contrast, Quaynor's first couple games showed he had the same problem but he since has really imporoved in flattening this kicks. He looks like he could be a beauty.
Billy Elliott, so glad to see you back. Great addition to the midfield. I'd have Billy, Pendles, DeGoey as my starting centre-clearance mids.
Stevo looks like he's got some mental demons. I'm not jumping on his back just yet.
Lynch, I've seen a few times before, and I don't think he's up to the standard.
Coxy actually played ok today. He needs to play with mongrel to play to his best, but it doesn't come naturally to him. I'm not sure how to do it, but someone needs to make him agry before the game.
Madge has really surprised me with his improvement. He's slimmed down a bit and actually can pass for an average footballer now. I'm not sold on him, but I don't mind if I see a bit more. Howe takes his place when he returns.
Daics is improving well. A bit more confidence is needed though, maybe another sold preseason to improve his strength.
WHE...would love if he had more grunt but it's not going to happen.
Adams' kicking is comical, but what can we do. The kid has a red-hot go. Pity we didn't get someone that knew what they were doing to fix his kicking when we got him. Too late now.
Here's a drill I iwould have used with Tay to fix his kicking. With his back to the man on the mark, wheel around with 1-step only and lace a target with a flat kick to someone 40m away at 45degrees forward of the ball. It would force him to guide the ball to his foot with 1 hand, because he'd have to kick around his body on an arc.His double-handed ball drop only allows him to kick the ball when he's running straight square-on to the target.
Phillips and Noble are just panic merchants, and weak in the contest. They are more likely to hand the ball to the opposition under pressure. Noble's also always backwards-handballing. Don't be fooled by his perceived "running ability". I'd rather Sharenberg there, no matter how slow he is.
Time to have a look at the Murphy kid.
Greenwood just doesn't have the skills to be effectivee. So he lays a hard tackle every now and then. Doesn't cut it.

Now to the game-style. Ffs sake, take the game on, play instinctively, create chaos, enjoy your footy.
Stop handballing backwards all the time, and to stationary targets. It just invites presssure.
Stop playing like friggin robots.
I agree with everything you have said except one. Don't see the hate for Noble. I was a critic of his when he started but he has improved out of sight. And he has a go, unlike others. His backward handballing is dumb-arse game plan following so don't blame him for that. I would be playing him on a wing where he can just run. This may happen when/if Howe returns.
Jatsad - That is all
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I haven't seen any of the players performing in the scratch matches but I am very concerned that Murphy isn't getting a crack. When I watched him two seasons ago in the VFL (he was injured much of 2019), he looked like he had the capability to be a 200-game senior player (I'm not making a prediction, just indicated that he moved impressively, attacked the ball well, marked strongly and kicked accurately over distance). It is a worry that he is so far down the pecking order in 2020.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

It was a very frustrating game to watch, especially with so many unforced skill errors. However, we were playing a top side, at their home ground, with a 5 day break versus our opponents coming off a 13 day break. In the end we lost by 8 points and could easily have won the game, despite our dysfunctional forward line. i'm not devastated at all, just frustrated.

One of the reasons we lost - and I'm surprised no-one else seems to have commented on it - is that Mihocek has become very fumbly and is dropping marks he used to swallow. If he marks and goals at the start of the last quarter we'd most likely have won the game. Remember, he was completely knocked unconscious only 3 or 4 weeks ago. While he has obviously passed all the medical tests, the brain is a fragile organ, and he is very likely to be still a bit shaky. Hopefully, he will improve over the next few weeks.

The real worry for me, however, is the dramatic decline in the intensity applied by Stephenson. Now we know why he was dropped. He simply is not going in hard enough or gut running to contests.

Anyway, it's also clear to me that neither of the Browns are AFL ready, but given the absence of Treloar, Sidey, Sier and De Goey, we are struggling to find any other midfielders to play. Hopefully we'll get a couple of these players back after the bye.

Don't give up folks, we're still a chance......just, but a chance nonetheless.
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

jatsad wrote:
bally12 wrote:Wake me up when the careers of Phillips, Greenwood, Noble, are over.

Buckley, sorry...you're a good guy but not a coach. You've appointed your best mate as forward coach in Sanderson. He was both a failed coach and never a forward. His "player review" skits on the Collingwood website are embarrassing.
When you watch a game of footy like that and see our problems laid out so bare, and then in Buckley's after-match interview not touch on any one of them, Who are we kidding here?

Here's the reality..

Moore's not a forward. He doesn't have the game for it, and neither the kicking skills. He can be a great defender..he showed that last week.
Grundy...wtf is he doing with his tap-work? Like seriously wtf. Enough of these dinky taps to his feet. Tap it far enough to an outside contest or smash it forward if you can.
Both Browns...you need to work on flattening your kicking and kicking with power instead of these dinky kicks you do. Same applies for the the loopy handballs. Cut it out.
I mean if you're pretending to be a footballer, kicking is what it's all about. Your number one priority as a footballer should always be to make your kicking a weapon.
In contrast, Quaynor's first couple games showed he had the same problem but he since has really imporoved in flattening this kicks. He looks like he could be a beauty.
Billy Elliott, so glad to see you back. Great addition to the midfield. I'd have Billy, Pendles, DeGoey as my starting centre-clearance mids.
Stevo looks like he's got some mental demons. I'm not jumping on his back just yet.
Coxy actually played ok today. He needs to play with mongrel to play to his best, but it doesn't come naturally to him. I'm not sure how to do it, but someone needs to make him agry before the game.
Madge has really surprised me with his improvement. He's slimmed down a bit and actually can pass for an average footballer now. I'm not sold on him, but I don't mind if I see a bit more. Howe takes his place when he returns.
Daics is improving well. A bit more confidence is needed though, maybe another sold preseason to improve his strength.
Adams' kicking is comical, but what can we do. The kid has a red-hot go. Pity we didn't get someone that knew what they were doing to fix his kicking when we got him. Too late now.
Here's a drill I iwould have used with Tay to fix his kicking. With his back to the man on the mark, wheel around with 1-step only and lace a target with a flat kick to someone 40m away at 45degrees forward of the ball. It would force him to guide the ball to his foot with 1 hand, because he'd have to kick around his body on an arc.His double-handed ball drop only allows him to kick the ball when he's running straight square-on to the target.
Phillips and Noble are just panic merchants, and weak in the contest. They are more likely to hand the ball to the opposition under pressure. Noble's also always backwards-handballing. Don't be fooled by his perceived "running ability". I'd rather Sharenberg there, no matter how slow he is.
Greenwood just doesn't have the skills to be effectivee. So he lays a hard tackle every now and then. Doesn't cut it.

Now to the game-style. Ffs sake, take the game on, play instinctively, create chaos, enjoy your footy.
Stop handballing backwards all the time, and to stationary targets. It just invites presssure.
I agree with everything you have said except one. Don't see the hate for Noble. I was a critic of his when he started but he has improved out of sight. And he has a go, unlike others. His backward handballing is dumb-arse game plan following so don't blame him for that. I would be playing him on a wing where he can just run. This may happen when/if Howe returns.
I don’t get the Noble love. I was at the game last week and the cleanest he is when he boots it long. His sideways and backwards kicks and hand passes miss so often and put his team mates under pressure. Same last night. Lots of run, yeah, but who gives a shit. Still early in the career so I hope he improves. If better judges than I like bucks and the selection committee see better in him than fair enough. Just can’t see it myself.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
swooper
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

Here's the reality..

Great summary and pretty much agree on all points
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

Was WHE even on the ground last night?
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels