Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Greening gold
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

Jezza wrote:Treloar has gone up another level since returning from injury.
Gets the ball but disposal by foot still needs work,
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Jordy's last 'mark' bobbled out of his hands, bounced off the Geelong player's back and landed back in Jordy's hands. :lol:
mattmc33

Post by mattmc33 »

Really good performance. Gotta clean up those silly mistakes, but overall they were very impressive. DeGoey was in DeGod mode, Grundy was a colossus, Adams and Treloar were both fantastic and the defence again stood up, especially Maynard, who I thought was spectacular. And Pendlebury once again showed he’s one of the best to ever lace up a boot. So many promising signs with this group. Lots to look forward to.
I, for one, welcome our new black and white overlords
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Collingwood 8.9.57
Geelong 5.5.35

Goals: De Goey 5, WHE, Daicos, Adams

Disposals: Treloar 34, Pendlebury 24, Adams 21, Phillips 20, Crisp 20, Grundy 16, JdG 16, Mayne 16, Noble 15, Daicos 14, Maynard 13, Moore 13, Wills 13, Brown 12, Elliott 12

AF points: Treloar 119, Grundy 116, Adams 101, JdG 94, Mayne 82, Crisp 79, Phillips 74, Pendlebury 69
Greening gold
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Greening gold »

Sicks Bux wrote:Jordy's last 'mark' bobbled out of his hands, bounced off the Geelong player's back and landed back in Jordy's hands. :lol:
Brought the ball down and controlled it. Ever see the "mark" taken by Ablett over Gary Pert in the forward pocket at the Punt Rd end of the MCG in I forget what year? He got up there but had no competition and didn't bring it down, but he was Ablett so it was a mark.
If you used to barrack for the 'Pies, you never barracked for the 'Pies.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Another good game by Treloar. Elliott is gold in the midfield.
Get back on top.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Very nice to finish off the way we did because that was a tough game. We looked really good in parts but seriously need to clean up our decision making and ball use because when we cough it up it ends up costing us dearly. I also wish we'd cut out the short kicks in the HB because time and time again we screw it up and turn it over.

It was a fantastic defensive effort tonight and our mids controlled the ball really well - not letting them play to their traditional game plan. I like the set up of our fwd line and the multitude of options we have with being able to rotate guys in and out because this causes headaches for the opposition. Mihocek kicks 4 last week then JDG kicks 5 this week.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Adz wrote:To be fair, throw Selwood into it and the Cats get the win.
To be fair: that is pure speculation.

Throw in Selwood who knows what would have happened unless you god; I have a hunch you’re not. Nor am I.

To be fair both teams played tough football and Collingwood prevailed. Enjoy the win
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

Great win in tough conditions against a dangerous football team. Defensively we are just outstanding. Although we jammed a couple of late ones through I was never feeling easy about the final quarter, always waiting for those handbaggers to get within a kick. With that in mind I really would like to see a few other guys pop up and score in the second half like Elliot, Miho, Stevo, Phillips, Brown, Grundy etc...any of these guys are capable of scoring and we need to find avenues to goal for them. We need to hold our strong defense but find a few more goals per game. We do that then we will be a serious contender. I think Sidey probably would have kicked 1 or 2 tonight.

8 goals to 5 is ok, not awful in season covid20 but I would prefer 11 to 8, just that ability to score more freely even if you give up a few more just feels more balanced. Anyway, a win is a win, we put those handbags back on the rack and sent their bleeder to the bench...did anyone see that showpony Dangerfield tonight? Did he play? :wink:
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Good win.Never in doubt.Geelong tried hard like the plucky little battlers they are.Don’t think Selwood would have made the difference.I don’t think he’s worth four goals.And great to see DeGoey back to his best.I can just see Caro spitting chips and saying she wasn’t comfortable with him playing.
watt price tully

I thought it was a tough hard contested match and Collingwood prevailed. Again our dominance is let down by some silly mistakes.

Great pressure. Great contested footy. Despite the tension it was wonderful, perhaps because of the tension.

I love beating the Western District Squatters: Go Pies.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Pies4shaw wrote:Collingwood 8.9.57
Geelong 5.5.35

Goals: De Goey 5, WHE, Daicos, Adams

Disposals: Treloar 34, Pendlebury 24, Adams 21, Phillips 20, Crisp 20, Grundy 16, JdG 16, Mayne 16, Noble 15, Daicos 14, Maynard 13, Moore 13, Wills 13, Brown 12, Elliott 12

AF points: Treloar 119, Grundy 116, Adams 101, JdG 94, Mayne 82, Crisp 79, Phillips 74, Pendlebury 69
Why do you keep posting this through the comments? Just wondering..
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
watt price tully

Our percentage is 146% but with the 2 pts for the friggin’ draw it has less meaning than usual but reflective of our defence
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Monco Matt wrote:Great win in tough conditions against a dangerous football team. Defensively we are just outstanding. Although we jammed a couple of late ones through I was never feeling easy about the final quarter, always waiting for those handbaggers to get within a kick. With that in mind I really would like to see a few other guys pop up and score in the second half like Elliot, Miho, Stevo, Phillips, Brown, Grundy etc...any of these guys are capable of scoring and we need to find avenues to goal for them. We need to hold our strong defense but find a few more goals per game. We do that then we will be a serious contender. I think Sidey probably would have kicked 1 or 2 tonight.

8 goals to 5 is ok, not awful in season covid20 but I would prefer 11 to 8, just that ability to score more freely even if you give up a few more just feels more balanced. Anyway, a win is a win, we put those handbags back on the rack and sent their bleeder to the bench...did anyone see that showpony Dangerfield tonight? Did he play? :wink:
I disagree. Anytime you only concede around 5 goals, you’ve proven that you’re not going to concede enough goals to lose, you’re going to win nearly every time (or draw, as was the case vs Richmond). A team that has managed 8 vs you can easily bang on 2 in a minute. Conceding just 5 means no matter the threat, you’re going to hold up.
Est. 2002
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Cam wrote:Another good game by Treloar. Elliott is gold in the midfield.
The switch of Billy into the mid-field has been a master stroke!!! He didn't have much of an influence when playing forward in the first few games of season 2.0. but has really grabbed his moment in the centre. A couple of times in that last quarter when the Cats were coming, he just grabbed the ball and kicked in one motion, sending it deep into the forward line. Plus of course, it allows JDG to spend most of his time forward.

JGG must have been practising his goal-kicking on his mini-break. :lol: What a great performance after all that media controversy. Best way to answer his and Collingwood's critics :D

Wow, what an exciting win!!! So many superb individual contributions - Pendles, Brodie, Adams, Maynard, Treloar, Crisp, the above two, even WHE back to soaring for marks! but every player went in hard and played wet weather football. Yay!!!!
Last edited by PyreneesPie on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.