#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

K wrote:It'd be better if all these big contracts were at least performance-based, so they get big bucks only with certain minimum performances.
2nd most contested marks in the AFL in 2018, more than any forward and/or ruck, in a year where we were five points from a premiership, including strong showings in the prelim and the Grand Final (second half especially).

Still averaged 2 contested marks per game this year which would have put him in the top 3 if he had played as many games as them.
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

woodys_world69 wrote:Someone in Twitter confirmed Mason Cox manager leaked the fake info to press so inflate his clients worth
Why would they need to inflate his worth? He's already contracted? Does't make any sense at all that rumour.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I like the romantic nature of keeping Mason Cox at Collingwood; I always think it's a lovely thing to have players whose second language is English, y'all.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Sam McClure (despite his coif) is an excellent journalist whom has a track record of accuracy:

* Mitch McGovern to Blues call as early as June 2018 (4 months early)
* Joe Daniher meeting with Tom Harley in early August
* Mason Cox seen at Tullamarine two weeks ago

just three of his gems. This morning he stood by the story that it was the Bombers whom approached the Pies about Mason Cox and said their is more to play out despite Essendon trying to hose it down.

Also Mason Cox's surliness and precious demeanour off field mirrored his on field later in the year. Especially the nigh roaming Brian spoke to him post match. Don't forget his starting wage with the Pies in 2014 was $333,000 (signed a million dollar 3 year deal on arrival). Then was bumped up at the end of 2017 to $500,000/year with it being 3 years and a trigger year when Brisbane came courting.

He is expendable given Jenkins averages double his goal per game tally and can Ruck too.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

inxs88 wrote:Sam McClure (despite his coif) is an excellent journalist whom has a track record of accuracy:

* Mitch McGovern to Blues call as early as June 2018 (4 months early)
* Joe Daniher meeting with Tom Harley in early August
* Mason Cox seen at Tullamarine two weeks ago

just three of his gems. This morning he stood by the story that it was the Bombers whom approached the Pies about Mason Cox and said their is more to play out despite Essendon trying to hose it down.
This just confirms that Essendon approached us, which I think they would have given their needs.

Mason's Dad live steamed the Copeland from America. That doesn't sound like the family of a player who wants to leave.

And seriously Cox's wage isn't that much higher than the average wage in the league. Given his structural importance to us, I think it's reasonable. If it was that tight we'd have let Elliott go.
Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

The silver lining of this episode is all the Essendon fans complaining about the prospect of a getting a player who is in top 2 or 3 in contested marks in the game (average per game 2018-19) and would improve them drastically as a side. Imagine a forward line with Cox and Tipungwuti.

They should be careful what they wish for, come Anzac Day next year watch Cox clunk a few in the second half.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:For what it may be worth, Essendon has directly denied that it has any interest.
They also denied Daniher. Sydney also denied Daniher. He was just there for a coffee with an old mate. Now he's going to Sydney.

Cox was seen at Essendon a couple of weeks ago.

Like I said earlier, if he goes to Essendon or another club, the umps will start paying him free kicks for getting pushed and arms chopped. :evil:
BazBoy
Been liked: 43 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by K »

Doug44 wrote:...
Mason's Dad live steamed the Copeland from America. That doesn't sound like the family of a player who wants to leave.
His family does that to support him. If he goes to another club, they'll do the same for that other club. Niall said for MC the whole AFL thing is just practical business. He neither wants to leave nor to stay. He'll just keep making practical business decisions.
Doug44 wrote:...
And seriously Cox's wage isn't that much higher than the average wage in the league. ...
The reported salary is roughly top 20% of salaries in the league. But if the club has desperate salary-cap problems, it wouldn't matter if it's only top 50%.
Last edited by K on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

K wrote:But if the club has desparate salary-cap problems, it wouldn't matter if it's only top 50%.
If we're that desperate we don't re-sign a player who didn't play a game in 2018 and thought about leaving anyway.

We don't seek to trade a player who is both contracted and extremely important.
K

Post by K »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:For what it may be worth, Essendon has directly denied that it has any interest.
Here's the source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-09/ ... rly-landed

"It's an inaccurate report, we're not pursuing Mason Cox," list manager Adrian Dodoro said.
https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1 ... 4264127489

"McClure: I'm not sure why Essendon is denying something that has happened....This is the same club that rang me after the Daniher story saying we'd be embarrassed by it. Two months later he asked to be traded to Sydney. People can believe what they want to believe"

https://twitter.com/DanielCherny/status ... 2475277312

"It’s great to see @sam_mcclure double down on his story re Mason Cox. His record on these stories speaks for itself. Clubs get away with mistruths all the time. One club privately denied interest in a player in recent weeks only to publicly confirm the interest four days later."
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Hence me saying "For what it may be worth ...".
K

Post by K »

Yup. Who knows? But Dodoro is childish. He thinks it's all about smoke and daggers, and trying to screw other clubs over. It's just given his club a bad reputation. The clubs that get deals done don't behave like that.
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

At first I was against it but upon reflection, I think it could work in our favour but only if we bring in Jenkins. Jenkins would offer us more than Cox in terms of mobility. Subtract a few centimeters in height but he makes up for that with everything else he could offer. Unfortunately for Mason, if he doesn't take a mark, he's all but out of the contest and defenders run off him easily.