#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 43 times

Post by BazBoy »

Didn’t see his adamant no to going re Ch 7 but did not Treloar react the same
when he was mentioned as a pawn in trade process
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by K »

Pie-supporting journo Gleeson:

The logic to Cox talks

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 52ysz.html

"Then there is Collingwood. Their openness to discuss a trade is because Cox is on a good contract, bigger than most would expect, at roughly half a million a year and they have a tight cap."
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by K »

58pie wrote:How much is Cox on $?
Half a million a year. :shock:
woodys_world69 wrote:Why is his contract so big? Lol Ned guy what have u done
Sad to say, almost all of our players are overpaid. All the hype must create a Collingwood tax. It'd be better if all these big contracts were at least performance-based, so they get big bucks only with certain minimum performances.
Last edited by K on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jatsad
Been liked: 16 times

Post by jatsad »

As a left field view, I know Essendon were sniffing around Brayden Sier earlier this year as they want a big bodied midfielder. Offer Sier and Cox and pinch Daniher off Sydney, might also need some pick swaps. I know he is an injury risk, but you have to be bold these days and take a chance to get better.

This has happened before where players nominate clubs but end up elsewhere.

Buddy Frankin - GWS --> Sydney.
Mitch Clark - Fremantle --> Melbourne.

Imagine our forward line then if we get him right.

I know it won't happen but just a thought.
Jatsad - That is all
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Pies2016 wrote:I don’t get the love for Jenkins. He’s an average player in a team that includes Lynch and Walker and was dropped a couple times in 2019 as well.
I’m ok with Jenkins ( just ) if Cox and Miochek remain on our list but a list with Cox out and Jenkins in could hardly make us better.
That virtually makes Jenkins the first banana key forward ( assuming DeGoey has to spend time in the middle ) when he was just average in Adelaide as a second / third option.
If Jenkins is not combined with Cox and Checkers, then I don't think he's got enough tricks. With those two however, then we *might* have something like the structure of Leroy-Dawes-Cloke [settle down ES I'm not suggesting anyone there is the equal of Cloke ;) ]
Get back on top.
Cam

Post by Cam »

jatsad wrote:Buddy Frankin - GWS --> Sydney.
The difference here was the only people who knew that Buddy was going to them were the Swans. Then Buddy said, that's where he was going, it was already a done deal at mid year. He never said he wanted to go or was going to the Giants. Caro just thought he was.

They let people believe, and journos particularly, that he was going to GWS, which was never Buddy's intention. He contacted the Swans very early and they teed it up, just as Daniher has done. There was no pinching.

As for Mitch Clark, he would have gone anywhere for love. We tried to get him, iirc.

Daisy was the same. Told the Blues he was going there before the season started. Danced on a table at a Carlton party. Collingwood boys used to sing the Carlton song to him apparently in the season before he left.
Get back on top.
jatsad
Been liked: 16 times

Post by jatsad »

Cam wrote:
jatsad wrote:Buddy Frankin - GWS --> Sydney.
The difference here was the only people who knew that Buddy was going to them were the Swans. Then Buddy said, that's where he was going, it was already a done deal at mid year. He never said he wanted to go or was going to the Giants. Caro just thought he was.

They let people believe, and journos particularly, that he was going to GWS, which was never Buddy's intention. He contacted the Swans very early and they teed it up, just as Daniher has done. There was no pinching.

As for Mitch Clark, he would have gone anywhere for love. We tried to get him, iirc.

Daisy was the same. Told the Blues he was going there before the season started. Danced on a table at a Carlton party. Collingwood boys used to sing the Carlton song to him apparently in the season before he left.
Yeah the Buddy one was more mentioned to show that anything is possible, but Mitch Clark was going to Fremantle because he was homesick. We only tried to get a few years after that.

My point is, if you don't try something left field, you will never know. In this case, Essendon would get two straight up senior players instead of speculative draft picks and we get Daniher.

Again, I know it won't happen because we are not imaginative enough and Essendon is just pig headed.
Jatsad - That is all
Cam

Post by Cam »

I agree with what you are saying, and also agree you won't get anywhere with Essendon, they are gnats. The thing about Cox that worries me is that many of his stats went down this year. Now maybe that's the unknown retina situation, I dunno.

We have backed ourselves into a bit of a corner.
Get back on top.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Seems to be talk that Cox is only 1 game away from triggering a contract for 2021 and his last contract was back ended so we'll be paying significantly more for him in 2020.

At the end of the day if sacrificing Cox means we are better equipped to re-sign all of Grundy, de Goey and Moore then I don't have a problem with it.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
The Average Tourist

Post by The Average Tourist »

Cam wrote:I agree with what you are saying, and also agree you won't get anywhere with Essendon, they are gnats. The thing about Cox that worries me is that many of his stats went down this year. Now maybe that's the unknown retina situation, I dunno.

Big Coxy also had an Ankle issue from Anzac Day and struggled when he returned but went straight into the Seniors without a practice run in the magoos.

When he came back it was the middle of our form slump and playing against the better sides.

I think back to the Preliminary Final last 10 minutes and believe with Cox or Degoey we would have had a target the would have resulted in Goals.
Bucks you just reckon he can still cut it in the middle
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

I like Coxy - I hope he stays.

Whatever happens though it’s no use wasting breath till we know what the offer is. I’d want a 1st round which won’t happen with Essendon.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

how about a straight swap with Daniher
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Cam wrote:If Jenkins is not combined with Cox and Checkers, then I don't think he's got enough tricks. With those two however, then we *might* have something like the structure of Leroy-Dawes-Cloke [settle down ES I'm not suggesting anyone there is the equal of Cloke ;) ]
We might or might not be better with three talls. However, the present coach will not play three. He required Dawes to play as second tall forward and ruck relief and then told him there was no role for him at the Club when we recruited Lynch. Thus, we have not played three genuine talls in the forward line other than out of occasional desperation for 8 seasons. This is not going to change, now. A bloke who plays as a third genuine tall is of no use to Collingwood at all under the present football department. I am not barracking for that position, merely stating the obvious.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^

I completely agree with you but there is nothing better than some competition from within your own list.
I got the feeling last year ( and that’s all it was ) that Cox was comfortable with his performances in the knowledge that there was very little or no pressure coming through to replace him.
Whether it’s Cox, Miochek ( or possibly Jenkins ) who arent at their best, you always want someone in the wings to replace them. None of them are superstars, so it’s not like whoever is in the VFL, has little chance of pushing for a position back in the firsts.
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

Cam wrote:I agree with what you are saying, and also agree you won't get anywhere with Essendon, they are gnats. The thing about Cox that worries me is that many of his stats went down this year. Now maybe that's the unknown retina situation, I dunno.

FWIW as it’s been mentioned a couple of times -His vision would have been fine this year. It would have had zero impact on his performance.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.