#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If Cox goes to another club, the AFL will bring back the push in the back rule and Cox will dominate with a dozen free kicks a game. Guaranteed.
Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

inxs88 wrote:
Achilles wrote:He's worth a first round pick, nothing less.
Bombers 2nd Round pick (their 31st) at best!
Why would we trade our only ruck depth (Cameron trade still TBA, who by the way has only played one game), who is also our only main tall forward and improves the rest of our forward setup, for a second round pick?

If his market value is a second round pick that's for everyone else.

Even if we got a first round pick I'd be hesitant, because the draft is a gamble. Look back over the years, it's a 50/50 bet at best, and one that takes a few years to materialise even if you get it right.

Even if we got Jenkins or Howard as a replacement, it's much more of a risk than just keeping him. Jenkins might not hold up and Howard has played mostly in defence.

It's probably fake news anyway. Essendon have made an enquiry because they'll be desperate should Daniher leave and they'll be asking about everyone. I'd be very surprised if we traded Cox given where we're at.

We are close to a flag, as close as we were going into 2010 I feel. We're not going to trade one of our most structurally important players for a draft pick.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

According to that link, they're only offering a "future draft pick". We don't want future draft picks. We want players or draft picks this year. Whether we want them in exchange for Cox is a whole different question.
Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

Pies4shaw wrote:According to that link, they're only offering a "future draft pick". We don't want future draft picks. We want players or draft picks this year. Whether we want them in exchange for Cox is a whole different question.
My thoughts as well, would mean we're basically giving him away for no deposit interest free. We'd want the "money" up front, even if we considered it, which I don't think we will.

Unless the speculation is we on trade that pick for a replacement for Cox.

But I would much prefer Cox to someone we can get for a (presumably second round) future pick.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Darcy Cameron to Collingwood.

Mason Cox to Essendon.

Scharenberg to Adelaide.

Hello cap space for a cut priced Jenkins.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

I don't mind what pick we get..... Cox is taking up some fairly serious coin. Lose Cox and we have the cash to keep Grundy, Moore, De Goey -WIN.

pick in the 30's for cox....deal done
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
58pie

Post by 58pie »

This must be a joke. Cox is only going to get better now that both eyes are fixed (and he has another season under his belt). Grundy injured or leaves then the coaching panel should resign for even thinking this and Adam T. What about Checkers came as a backman and to my knowledge has never been tried there. Checkers never got going in the prelim and surely Darcy should have been thrown forward with Checkers going back. Surely what we miss is flexibility so bugger off bombers. IMO the coaching might be better reading Nicks than whatever source they get their ideas from. Buckley was right about one thing "Wasted'` Go Pies in 2020"
Last edited by 58pie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derkd

Post by derkd »

swoop42 wrote:Darcy Cameron to Collingwood.

Mason Cox to Essendon.

Scharenberg to Adelaide.

See i would like to keep Berg, could still be a very good player. I don't think he would be on big money.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
derkd

Post by derkd »

I have a feeling we have had to up the offer to keep Elliott, I am ok with that.....Cox's is costing the Pies a fair amount of money....I would trade Cox if it means we keep our stars.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

If Darcy Cameron is looking for more opportunity then it always felt strange he was opting for a club with the games best ruck and the games tallest player as ruck back up.

Of course Cameron has produced the square root of jack shite at AFL level so you wouldn't want to be relying on him solely to be the replacement for Cox so you have to wonder if Jenkins can be gotten cheap he is also in the frame.
Last edited by swoop42 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

swoop42 wrote:Darcy Cameron to Collingwood.

Mason Cox to Essendon.

Scharenberg to Adelaide.

Are you related to Noel Judkins?

We get rid of 2 decent players for an unknown ruck (when the Swans were desperate for a ruck) and a shlepper from Pie Floater land.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/schlepper
Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
58pie

Post by 58pie »

How much is Cox on $?
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Jenkins is better than Cox.

Others were preferred by the coach over Scharenberg late in the season and the rumour is we're open to dealing on him.
58pie

Post by 58pie »

Have Jenkins ever destroyed Richmond?
Doug44

Post by Doug44 »

swoop42 wrote:If Darcy Cameron is looking for more opportunity then it always felt strange he was opting for a club with the games best ruck and the games tallest player as ruck back up.
He's played 1 game and if he was at Collingwood this year he'd have played 10. If either Cox or Grundy are out, he plays. That's why he'd want to come to Collingwood and that's why we'd want him.

Cameron coming in never meant Cox leaving.

If we got Jenkins and Cameron for Cox, well you'd consider that, but Cameron is probably only depth and I'd actually rather Cox than Jenkins.

My preference would be Jenkins AND Cox in the one team, with Cameron as depth, but we probably can't afford that.