Post Match. Pies pipped in Prelim. All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Damien wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote: I agree generally - but our two tall forwards having 6 disposals didn’t really pick up too much of the slack, there, either.
That's true, but only because our genuine 2 main forwards - De Goey and Cox - were unavailable.
And you’d hardly call either of them genuine forwards; not in the traditional mould anyway. I don’t think there is too much wrong with the list. We don’t need to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Couldn’t agree more. I’m not even sure we need to tweak the list that much. As INXS88 said, we could improve further by changing up our line coaches.
Surely we have sucked all the knowledge out of our current assistants by now.
Move a couple assistants on and get a new set of eyes to oversee our list.
The main issue seems to be the ( dis ) connect between Grundy and the mids.
Mix it up with new assistants and keep the best from the old and embrace the best from the new.
2020 - bring it on ( provided we have made a couple assistant coaching changes )
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I agree P2016.

Also, we need to hope that JDG has a massive pre-season and gets super fit, so he can dominate the midfield like no-one else.

Hopefully, WHE has an uninterrupted pre-season and is ready to deliver on his undoubted talent.

I'd like to think that Beams could be a big inclusion, but I'm not confident about his chances.
Adz

Post by Adz »

JDG final year of his contract. If he has another injury interrupted season his next contract will be significantly reduced.
Adz

Post by Adz »

JDG final year of his contract. If he has another injury interrupted season his next contract will be significantly reduced.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

RudeBoy wrote:It was our midfielders, not our KPPs, who lost us the Prelim imo.

I reckon we may have overrated how good our mids are.
They are great when there's little physical pressure and the weather's dry.
Look at our really bad losses this year; have either been:
i) when the opposition applies physical intimidation (kangaroos, giants)
ii) when the weather is wet and we can't get our running game going (tigers, giants)
I find your lack of faith disturbing
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

[quote="Lazza"]Don’t know if I’m sulking or having a sooky sooky la la but I’m struggling big time to get excited about watching the GF. Still spewing about such a wasted opportunity
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

[quote="tbaker"][quote="Lazza"]Don’t know if I’m sulking or having a sooky sooky la la but I’m struggling big time to get excited about watching the GF. Still spewing about such a wasted opportunity
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

[quote="Lazza"][quote="tbaker"][quote="Lazza"]Don’t know if I’m sulking or having a sooky sooky la la but I’m struggling big time to get excited about watching the GF. Still spewing about such a wasted opportunity
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I commented on another thread, but it seems to have been deleted???

Anyway, here's a summary of my thoughts on our disastrous Prelim performance, as I prepare to watch today's Grannie.

A week has past now since we were bullied out of the Prelim, and I feel worse now than I did a week ago. If you've followed the Pies for 6 decades, as I have, you become used to losing finals, but this loss was different. I still can't get my head around the fact that none, not a single one, of our 'elite' midfielders - Pendles, Treloar, Sidey and Adams - fired a shot in the Prelim. I could accept one or two of them getting tagged out of the game, but ffs not all four.

But I'm not disappointed, I'm frigging angry. For three quarters we allowed the Giants to play harder and tougher, with us being smashed at stoppages, despite us having the absolute dominance of Grundy in the ruck. Our footy department needs to conduct a phucking Royal Commission into the dismal performance of our midfield brigade. Our spirited final quarter come back simply rubbed salt into our wounds. Where was that effort in the first three quarters?

Fair dinkum, we had the talent to win the Prelim and then to go on and smash the Tigers in the Grannie. The reason we didn't was not because of a lack of talent, but a lack of heart. We simply have too many players who go missing when the going gets tough. For the 2nd year in a row our midfield group (with the exception of Adams who played well in last year's Grannie), allowed the opposition to smash us at stoppages, despite us having the dominant ruckman. That is simply not phucking good enough.

It will take a long time, at least all of next year, before I have any confidence in our midfield group to stand up in the heat of battle, when we need it most, in September. I never thought I'd ever say it, but to my mind, with a few exceptions, our team is soft. I'm embarrassed to admit that, but there it is. And if we think this weakness will be solved by the development of our dwarfs in Callum Brown, Josh Daicos and Noble then we are well and truly phucked. We need players who are strong in body and strong in mind.

Anyway, I hope Toby Greene wins the Norm Smith today, just to stick it up the AFL. :twisted:
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

It's no excuse but I dare say if we had of been presented with these weather conditions last week we'd be playing today.

Fair to say the longer the week has gone the more angry one gets that we blew a golden opportunity.

Jesus our club tests your emotions.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

My god it hurts watching today. I don’t think either side have really rocked up to play and we would have been hungry to atone for last season. Oh well. Another 10 years of mediocrity.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

not watching tv.
f* grand final
f* tigers
f* giants
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Haff wrote:My god it hurts watching today. I don’t think either side have really rocked up to play and we would have been hungry to atone for last season. Oh well. Another 10 years of mediocrity.
Rubbish...we wouldn't be able to withstand this Richmond swarm
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

How Mumford “broke even” with Grundy I’ll never now. He looks as cooked as a chicken dinner.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

He didn’t. Grundy absolutely thrashed him. Grundy had 10 clearances, 12 hit outs to advantage and 20 more disposals. It wasn’t even a contest.