Post Match. Pies punish Cats. All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

Est. 2002
duggieboy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

Yeah not bad Mr Hammer - this time! (One more goal & you would've been perfect)

Isn't it such a nice feeling the morning after an epic Pies win.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Saucer of milk for the sour Cats...

Well coached Bucks. Players were disciplined throughout and executed the game plan well. Tackles bring intensity to the contest.

Defence, what a performance.
At a young age Darcy is still very much a confidence player, I suspect much weight carried above his shoulders. Games like last night, particularly when the heat was on in the last, showed the upside and impact he can give us.
Maynard 'da bull', hard as a cats head. Type of player you'd always want to be playing with.
Jeremy Howee, wowee. In the air and in holding the line, mature display in tandem with Moore. Thank You Melbourne.

I've said it before, Adams and Wills working in tandem gives us grunt at the coal face. Their in and under feed from our General Grundy's ruck work, give the likes of Pendles and Treloar space to work their talent.
Pendles is the ultimate pressure player. Not only resolute under pressure but keeps pressure on the opposition. Vintage Pendles.

Oh Billy. Billy, Billy Billy (those old enough will know the Caddyshack reference) He was off the leash last night.
If JDG's hammy doesn't come up he gives us back the X-factor. Was nearly as if it was a statement he wants to be the man up forward. A vintage performance and a mature one when the team needed it.

In the same vein as "did Grizzly Adams have a beard?", Did Steele Sidebottom bust a nut? Should be a perpetual club award in his honour. The player who busts a nut for his side.

No doubt some changes to the 22 to come, will wait to see the medical room report and whom we're playing before moving the chess pieces but we're in there with a red hot crack.

I'm off to the Gabba tonight to see what the opposition might look like. Look for a Pies jumper in the crowd with the no.5 on the back...
Go Pies.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

bally12 wrote:Gutsy win Pies. Our tackling and pressure was awesome. Moore, Howe, Maynard were great in defense.
Sidey, Pendles, Adams, Philips, Wills, all fantastic. Well done Flip, you have been much maligned by many (including me), but you were important tonight.
What about Billy. Some massive game-saving efforts.

It's not just the Cats coach that whinges, it's all their players and officials. Every ball that gets touched last by the Pies players, you have the Cats players earnestly pleading with the umpire that it's deliberate. In fact, often they take the ball claiming the free kick, then feigning disbelief when the umpire says ball-up or a free to Pies. Much like their coach does. Danger does this a lot. Bullying the umpires is what it is.
Don't tell me the umps didn't see Hawkins fling players out of a pack in all directions in marking contests. Play on they said. Or the clear rugby throw Hawkins did to a player running past in the 3rd. Give me a break.
Stewart did one of those in the last to give to Dangerfield. No worries, don't worry about minor things like the rules.
Nick Maxwell put a foot over the boundary line by mistake when the ball was on the other side of the ground, and the Cats players on the bench were up in arms and stalking the emergency umpires to pay a goal-square goal to them. Ridiculous. They are really trying hard to earn back their hand-bagger monnker.

In the wash-up, we need Jordy back, or we don't have a chance to go all the way. I don't know what needs to be done to get him up, but it needs to be done.
Terrible news on Greenwood. Aish to come in for him. I'd be bringing Shaz back to replace Noble. I know people are excited by Noble but he didn't give us much run from the half-back line to be honest, and he doesn't have good sideways movement.
Stevo, 35m out, you need to be putting those through post high. We need to nail clutch shots like the one. That would have snuffed out the Cats, but the Pies sure know how to make it close and give us heart palpitations.
Highlight of the match: Darcy Moore huge in a big final. Who would have thought? A massive piece of the jigsaw might have fallen into place. You never know. Keep the surprises coming. Just not the injury ones.

Now, the Channel 7and Fox commentators. McAvaney, just retire please, or just concentrate on w#nking yourself over racehorses. Carey, from glassing your girlfriend to a media career...classy. "That's a goal...that's a goal!!" both Bruce and Duck claimed as the Bunker replay showed the Hawkins kick clearly touched before crossing the goal line. Idiots.
Couple of weeks ago the Fox commentators led by that Sarah Jones the Essendon supporter were complaining that the Magpie song was on constant repeat after the match. How dare they. Huddo is just cringeworthy. Russell just a complete tool. He regularly says so and so team "needs a safe word" when getting beaten badly. Lovely, equate to losing a footy match with getting raped. I'm' going to stop listing them because the next one is worse than the other, just as Alistair Lynch flashed into my mind. What a pathetic lot.
Brilliant post
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

AFL Player Ratings First Qualifying Final Colingwood

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Our absolute brilliant back line

Both Moore and Howe marked everything

Bucks applauded Levi and said Mayne filled in admirably

Said Maynard kept Bablett quiet and like wise Roughead on Hawkins

But there was another who owned both forward and defence territory was

Billy Boy Elliott

ACL with Levi opens the door for an Aish or a Varcoe
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
barrackers

Post by barrackers »

What a terrific win and terrific game of footy. Might have taken 8 inside 50s before our first goal, but we were on early and remained that way. Outside of a very late sniff and some red time goals late in the second quarter we controlled the game all night. Pleasingly we reversed the trend and played the game on our terms, not Geelong's.

A heap of individual highlights -
  • * The applause when Stephenson had his first touch
    * Adam's reaction after getting our first goal set the tone of the rest of the match, how emotive were our goal celebrations!
    * Pendlebury's captains goal in his 300th
    * Pendlebury's one handed mark
    * Maynard owning Ablett
    * Howe's goal bursting through
    * Howe's superman smother
    * Elliott reenacting Heath Shaw's smother of the century moments later
    * Wills crunching tackles
    * Moore being huge in the last quarter with mark after mark
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

For some pleasant Saturday morning viewing watch Chris Scott’s presser. He’s seething inside and refuses to admit that Geelong choke in finals and are weighed down by that monkey on their back and the chip on his shoulder about not playing a home final. When a journo asks him about next week v West Coast he almost loses it. I absolutely detest this prick and to see them go out in straight sets next week would give me almost as much pleasure as watching us win the premiership a week later.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Noble played with composure, provided some link up in a team who are unfamiliar with him, hence don't know his voice, don't know how he can burst etc [compare that to how Pendles, Sidey, Treloar, Adams, Phillips etc operate, Wills is also in this boat, hence Wills' relatively low disposal count for an inside mid with 74% of game time] and won't use him unless he is wide, wide open. He is doing alot of clean up and winning his own footy. Won't be dropped as he is clean with the ball and his decision making is pretty damn good, his metre's gained last night was 1m less than Crisp.
Get back on top.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Minor Premiers my fkn ass, they're minor premiers 'cause they play so many games down at their shit hole ground!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

93,000 at the 'G last night! Suck on that, Scott! I swear it mostly our fans too, the noise was deafening -- or the Cats fans were too busy sulking that they weren't in Geelong. And boy did Eddie go apeshit in the rooms after the game when BT asked about the jumpers. We got dicked around with that. Next time tell us how you really feel, Ed!
Woods

Post by Woods »

Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Get back on top.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Geelong can’t master the switch themselves or counter it on the G because their shit hole of a ground is much narrower. Hence the reason Scott was so desperate to get the game down there. Strait sets I tell ya. Gunna be a long summer for him to stew over.

He’s the new Ross Lyon. Has a game plan to get to the finals but it doesn’t stand up in September. They are statistically last in the AFL for playing on from a mark and the slow play is way to easy to defend against. A lot of old players past it too. Sayonara to Ablett and Taylor. Hawkins (no goals in the last three games) and Selwood should retire as well.
Last edited by Damien on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Credit to JT for playing a really tough defensive role last night. He absolutely copped several high tackles from the Cats and received zero free kicks. A classic example of playing your role well
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!