Post Match. Pies bounce Bombers. All comments please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

Moore may have been 'managed'. Be positive, folks.

Today's VFL game will be super important for Wells, Stevo, Sier and any others in the frame for a finals call-up.

Assuming Sidey and De Goey are fit, and Stephenson is recalled, some tough calls for the selectors.

I remain confident we can do this thing...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

the fuzz wrote:Bucks said Moore had a tight hammy , so he came off not to risk it. I’m not sure what that means,
It means he's now a certified head case and cannot in any way be risked in finals. Put him up for trade next season.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:Hell, if Darcy has indeed done another hammy, that is simply tragic news. If it is true, I am so sad for Darcy, and for us.
Losing him would be yet another hammer blow.
Yeah MTTM, it's a goddam shame for him and us and very deflating.

I sometimes wonder, trying to be optimistic, if it's a maturation problem and something he could grow out of. Even if he was given a year off footy and put on a special program to fix the damn things, maybe that would work?

Looking at it from the team angle though, we have so many players, especially Grundy, that we need to use our salary cap on. How can we afford to carry him? We've been lucky to have been able to persist with Jamie during a period when our better players were all locked in, but it's different now that Grundy has emerged as an out and out star.
Absolutely right. We have to make Grundy and irrefusable mafia offer. No ifs, buts, or maybes! If we can't keep him it will set us back 10 years. I mean that.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ Buddy leaving Hawthorn didn't set them back 10 years. In fact, they went on to win consecutive flags after he left.

If someone wants to pay Grundy huge money or offer him a stupidly long contract....let them. No ruckman should be offered more than 4 years.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

Considering the year we’ve had, we have put ourselves in the best possible position for a top 4 berth.

Yes, we’ve lost a couple games we should’ve won, but so has many of the other top 8 and even top 4 sides this year.

have look at top five sides, all within one game of each other.

We need to put things into perspective.

It’s been a very even, unpredictable year.

Well done boys, time for rest, recover and a finals tilt.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

the fuzz wrote:I was in disbelief at some of the things Grundy did tonight.
He is such a star. I agree that we shouldn’t sign him for 7 years.....we should sign him for 8!!
And Scotty Pendlebury. He just seems to get better. What a champion.
Let’s hope we turn it on for his 300th next game!
Great games also by Mihocek, Billy, Treloar and Crisp. The back line was solid.
Roughy was a good target again, and was handy in the ruck. I assume he will go back in the first final.
Well said. Especially the stuff about Grundy. He's the one player we must build our next premiership sides around. Without him we are stuffed.
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Overall a good hit out before the bye and finals.

After a poor first quarter, wrested control and dominated the final 3 terms kicking 7:15 to 4:3.

Moore the obvious concern.

Grundy and Pendles were amazing and Elliott getting better (despite the wayward kicking). If Elliott, Stevo and JDG all play and at their best, we are capable of kicking a winning score against anyone.

If Moore doesn't come up, then gotta hope that Reid can get over his injuries. May be the missing link come finals. Otherwise Goldy may get another finals recall.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Fine effort by Mihocek to be our leading goal kicker over the home and away season. He’s kicked 5 bags of 4 goals this season so far, including three against finalists (two against teams presently in the top 4).
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Pies4shaw wrote:Collingwood will go into the finals with at least the second best consecutive run of wins in the competition (and, if Brisbane draws with Richmond, the best). Also, despite the commentators suggesting that we aren’t travelling so well as last year, we’ve actually beaten most of the 8, should have beaten Geelong and would almost certainly beat the present GWS lineup. Given the disgusting run with injuries, that’s been a good result by a solid playing group.
Not according to every match day thread
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

There is one player who I don’t think has been mentioned in this thread to date - Madgen
Is it just me or do I sense some of his critics are slowing warming to him holding his spot for the first final.
Make no doubt, he is a much improved player ( albeit off a low base )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Woods

Post by Woods »

Don't understand the angst about Moore.

In the normal course of events earlier in the season he would have come back from injury via a game in the VFL. And he probably would only play two or three quarters of the VFL game before being taken off (managed).

Same thing happens in a return to an AFL match and 'The sky if falling!"
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

PyreneesPie wrote:One thing that has been quite clear to me is that we've had far more success since Tay and the Wombat have been in the team. Those two tough nuts have made such a huge difference, for reasons already well described here on Nick's. May they stay injury free for the remainder of the season!!!
This is true!!!!
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

bally12 wrote:AMT seriously killed us. You can't tackle him because he drops his knees and does the shoulder shrug trick and gets the high tackle free every time.

McKernan and the Irish guy also did some damage. We need to put some more work into these 3 if we get them in the EF.
I'm guessing that McKernan ran away in the opposite direction to whatever Grundy was doing instead of going with him, which was why he was on his own alot. Interesting tactic if true.
Get back on top.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 31 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Who goes in the ruck if rough is in defense
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

woodys_world69 wrote:Who goes in the ruck if rough is in defense
Wills gave a chop out last time.
All We Can Be