#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Only at Collingwood could a player be out for the season with a poke in the eye.Talk about bad luck!Is there any chance of Reid playing again this season?He seems to be the only replacement for Cox that we have on our list.
think positive
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

eddiesmith wrote:A blessing in disguise? Unbelievable how many people dislike the great man, it is the end of Collingwood's season, we ain't beating anyone in September without the teams best tall forward and backup ruckman.
Not often I agree with you, but yep, we cannot replace him. I was hoping to get enough cattle back so we can get back to everyone playing in their correct positions, that’s the problem, loose defenders, and everyone else has to drop back, and no one home in the square.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s certainly no blessing in disguise because he can help out in the ruck as well as hold down his position in the forward line.
It basically means he is one player holding down two positions.
He wasn’t in great form but structurally its a big out ( in more ways than one )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Congratulations to the Collingwood Football Club for sending Mason Cox straight to the hospital at half time. Nobody would have thought it would have been a detached retina. Operation and rest and he'll be right for next season.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by shawthing »

Not another one! What did they do rip his eye out of the socket. I assumed it was just a poke in the eye. :?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

think positive wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:A blessing in disguise? Unbelievable how many people dislike the great man, it is the end of Collingwood's season, we ain't beating anyone in September without the teams best tall forward and backup ruckman.
Not often I agree with you, but yep, we cannot replace him. I was hoping to get enough cattle back so we can get back to everyone playing in their correct positions, that’s the problem, loose defenders, and everyone else has to drop back, and no one home in the square.
Its why I don't understand the hate, sure he's not a natural footballer, but the opposition has to respect him and usually takes at least 2 defenders. If you don't respect him, he'll kick 2-3 goals in quick succession and turn the game
Johnno75
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Cox is important to out structure and can't be replaced. However it may be worth giving Max Lynch a few games and a final to see how he goes He has been looking good in the VFL.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
David
Been liked: 57 times

Post by David »

On the contrary, I've always liked Mason; I'm just also aware that his limitations as a forward in terms of putting pressure on defenders can expose the side at times. Not having him there definitely changes our structure, and that will be a challenge, but it may also be an opportunity.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The problem is, its late in a tight game you need someone to step up and take the big grab, no small forward is going to do that for you. Cox has often stepped up late in close games taking those big grabs. He lacks consistency but he provides so much that is irreplaceable.

It also places a lot more pressure on Grundy who some seem to think is already carrying an injury.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 32 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Congratulations to the Collingwood Football Club for sending Mason Cox straight to the hospital at half time. Nobody would have thought it would have been a detached retina. Operation and rest and he'll be right for next season.

*scratched retina
Presti35
Has liked: 420 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by Presti35 »

How do you replace him?

Goldsack might come in and swing forward.

Madgen and Appleby can play in defence, but not forward.

Lynch might get a chance now as he can ruck and play forward.

Moore is due back as early as this week. If not this week, he should be ok for the Adelaide trip.

Reid is weeks away and possibly the season.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Mason Cox @masonsixtencox· 12m

'Maybe took the idea of a "one eyed Collingwood supporter" a bit too seriously...'.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

I think that they are going to have to try Lynch. Reid is injured (as usual) and actually he is not particularly good in the ruck. Roughead is a good ruckman but he has also been our best tall defender (especially since Moore's injury) If we take him out of the backline to spell Grundy in the ruck, particularly against teams like Richmond and West Coast with two good tall forwards we risk all sorts of nasty consequences.
Born and raised in Black and White
David
Been liked: 57 times

Post by David »

Sounds like Lynch or Goldsack it is. I'd be happy to see either next week, but sentimentality leans towards Goldsack.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

Did he at least get a free kick for his troubles?