#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:I don't think we can argue it wasnt high because of the medical report etc.
I think we can argue it was careless and not intentional. Cox has his eyes on the play and the ball carrier when he starts running in the direction of the goal and then in the last split second he sees grimes right in front of him.
It is not conclusive that he intended to run towards Grimes in the first instance.
Case closed your honour
Agree with this .... even though he takes three steps (according to MC) towards Grimes, for at least two of them he doesn't even appear to take any notice of Grimes, who was initially some distance away. Mason's just focused on making position for the incoming ball. Grimes also only looks towards Mason in the last step or so.
It looks like both players contributed to an accidental collision.
eureka

Post by eureka »

Fingers crossed he is cleared
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

AFL.com.au spin machine working overtime to make sure that doesn't happen.
Get back on top.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

BazBoy wrote:Made mention was the collective ex players about to mount a legal challenge against AFL on post footy concussion affects

Speculation that AFL has to be seen to protect players now

Cox may well be the sacrificial lamb
They wouldn't.

I'm 100% certain he will be exonerated, ONE Hunggy %!
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times

Post by Skids »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Talking Footy just now, all talking about concussions and how Cox will get a week because Grimes had symptoms... Wayne Carey looked like he was about to burst out laughing and say "are you f***ing kidding me?"

And Robbo on FOX was declaring Cox guilty. Jordan Lewis was the same as Carey, but he bit his tongue.
What a load of rubbish. We played them 4 days ago and tonight they say he "showed symptoms" of concussion. He'd be included as 'concussion'.

Here's the Richmond injury report, from today.

Big-bodied forward Caddy is expected to play football for the first time this season but may start in the VFL after overcoming an ankle injury. Houli is set for another week on the sidelines with a hamstring strain. Riewoldt has escaped surgery for his fractured wrist but will be sidelined for around a month. Grigg is slowly building his running loads, with the next step being a return to skills work, then full training.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-list
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It's absolute b.s. for sure, Skids. Lewis looked like he wanted to tell Robbo to go somewhere, and Carey was trying not to go nuts how ridiculous the report is.

Unfortunately The Age and Herald-Sun are doing the AFL's bidding yesterday and today (they know who pays for their lunches), with headlines declaring Cox guilty because Grimes was concussed. So obviously leant on by the AFL.

It's f***ing b.s. If Grimes showed symptoms, he should have been on the bench getting a concussion test. He didn't, as evidenced by him whacking Elliot.

By the way, it's the Competition Committee (who the hell are they?) doing the heavy leaning to get Cox banned. As Carey said, the AFL use the CC to say they're not responsible ("it's not us, it's the CC!"), it's the CC's decision, etc. It's an absolute rort, and I hate how the AFL head honchos are as bad as our politicians.
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Mr Miyagi wrote:...
By the way, it's the Competition Committee (who the hell are they?) doing the heavy leaning to get Cox banned. As Carey said, the AFL use the CC to say they're not responsible ("it's not us, it's the CC!"), it's the CC's decision, etc. It's an absolute rort, and I hate how the AFL head honchos are as bad as our politicians.
I thought it was very weird to have Michael Christian doing the media rounds campaigning for the correctness of his decision.

And the AFL also on the weekend blamed the stats providers for their live game streaming going down (as well as telling us yesterday the Sicily free kick was correct -- surprise, surprise!).
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Sam McClure on Talking Footy: "It's not the AFL, it's the Competition Committee..."

Well done Comrade Sam, you will get a shiny Western refrigerator for your obedience to the AFL and deflecting the blame to others.
K

Post by K »

K wrote:...
... (as well as telling us yesterday the Sicily free kick was correct -- surprise, surprise!).
Hawthorn complained yesterday. I wonder why we never complain about the umpiring.

An unhappy team: Hawthorn seek answers on umpiring calls

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/an- ... 519s8.html
melliot

Post by melliot »

Grimes didn't have concussion symptoms. He was feeling sick after his continous nightmares of having to play on Cox again. It all caught up to him late the week. I think it's called Delayed Cox Nightmare Syndrome.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

After the Richmond game, we can't complain about free kicks for a while! 25-9, when was the last time we got a free kick ride like that? I literally can't remember.

Competition Committee is basically the old Laws of the Game Committee and all the other AFL advisory committees rolled into one. Eddie's on the Committee, but i doubt he has the time to do much on it. Basically it's a scapegoat for Gill and the others, they can just say it's the CC's responsibility or decision, even though it's obvious they're the ones who are responsible and making the decisions.

Anyway, it's a week for a b.s. report, and it's only round 3, not the finals or a do-or-die match. I'd still like Cox to get off, but if not... we'll find a way to beat WC.
K

Post by K »

I was very happy that he was on the rules committee last year, because I think he needs an outlet, and it's better for him to have that outlet than to start getting in the way of club football-department stuff.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Ed needs to yell at clouds.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Wonderful as a distraction I can watch the Budget
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
glasseyevfx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by glasseyevfx »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pebbles Rocks wrote:I don't think we can argue it wasnt high because of the medical report etc.
I think we can argue it was careless and not intentional. Cox has his eyes on the play and the ball carrier when he starts running in the direction of the goal and then in the last split second he sees grimes right in front of him.
It is not conclusive that he intended to run towards Grimes in the first instance.
Case closed your honour
Agree with this .... even though he takes three steps (according to MC) towards Grimes, for at least two of them he doesn't even appear to take any notice of Grimes, who was initially some distance away. Mason's just focused on making position for the incoming ball. Grimes also only looks towards Mason in the last step or so.
It looks like both players contributed to an accidental collision.
I want him to get off too; but he was blocking. Grimes didn't see him until a step away.
I see it as intentional contact and perhaps high contact but unintentional high contact - it was not malicious (unlike Grimes elbow) and Grimes milked it looking for a free. It was soft
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night