#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by stui magpie »

When the game is on the line, smalls don't get any faster but big guys who can take contested marks don't get any shorter.

Reid and Dunn are not young. Cox is getting better each week but is in his late 20's. We need to invest in some young talls now.

I'm not sold on Lynch.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Agree that it's good to have some good talls. But you don't want too many. And they're not the difference makers they once were. I'm happy with Grundy and Moore, we could maybe do with one more. I wouldn't be upset if we ended up landing Lynch, but really don't like the outlay that would be required. I'll take depth of quality over one star tall forward any day.

What I am completely against is playing decent talls either as a third forward or defender. I would never play Stewart as a third tall like Essendon are (that's if you consider Stringer tall, and with his lack of work up the ground, that's how he's playing). Just incredibly dumb. Decent talls instead of another runner completely kills a team. If you're playing three tall forwards or defenders, they'd better be bloody good and Stewart simply isn't.

We should never play more than 4 talls and a ruckman. To play more than that they really need to be guns or extremely mobile. You can play less, as we are now, but you can't play more.

Edit: I'll take a medium who can compete in the air and do much more, like a De Goey, Stephenson, WHE, Elliott over a decent third tall who might take one or two extra contested marks on a good day. I'd also take them over a decent to ordinary second tall most days.
Well done boys!
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Pies2016 »

RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Pies2016 »

i hate carlton
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by i hate carlton »

Outstanding match, and building his presence each week.

Hope he can kick two every match!

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Magpietothemax wrote:Thought he was brilliant today in many ways.
He is a player of a totally different kind...something we have never seen before, i venture to say, in the history of the game.A player whose major weapon is not so much physical as intellectual His comprehension of the game is phenomenall will achieve the astonishing by coupling
his physical attributes (hsight and mnual dexterity) with cognisance
A great post, interesting original and true. Hines called him his most important recruit, and I can see why. He may well deliver our next premiership if he keeps growing in confidence and technique.
Two more flags before I die!
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Deep is his best spot, give him a chance to get a good run at the ball and closer to goal the better for his kicking!!!

But the rubbish idea that Grundy and Cox couldnt play together is whats kept this side down for so long
Jezza
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Jezza »

His confidence grew when he was clunking those marks and it was great to see him finally get some goals on the board.

As I've said previously, we need to keep persisting with him.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

Had he kicked 5 goals (he kicked 2.2 and dished one to Aish that he should of had a crack at), would have been in ANZAC medal calculations?

His palm work at marking contests is a thing of beauty!
The Average Tourist

Post by The Average Tourist »

Having Big Cox is great because it makes us different whilst Grundy is clearly the better Ruckman, there is no respite when Cox goes into the ruck our mids are now roving to both our ruckman.

Cox being up forward is also helping our mids kick to him not just bang it on his head but kick it to him so he has meet the ball and he is unstoppable.

He should have kicked 4 yesterday and then there would be a lot of head scratching at 17 other clubs.

the roar when he took those two big marks in the last quarter was really exciting but except for his kick of the ground to Heppell he has been good around the ground and improving.

Not time to keep a lid on it yet but it has been a nice three weeks
Bucks you just reckon he can still cut it in the middle
i hate carlton
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by i hate carlton »

One of the things I didn't like about our supporters was all the hate for Travis Cloke when he wasn't kicking goals. He was roaming and feeding goals to forwards, tackling hard and marking.

Cox has been doing the same thing (not quite at the same scale). Now he is kicking goals.

A brilliant recruit to the club.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

fast becoming one of my favourite players, I think he's a great character. Something very exciting about him when he pulls down a big mark!
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I get the feeling that one day he'll kick 10 goals.