#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:It's funny how different sports handle things.

When I'm not following the Pies I'm a great fan of Liverpool in the EPL. Before the current season began, one of their best players, Roberto Firmino, got busted for drink driving. It was dealt with by the police and courts, but his club Liverpool did not publicly impose any penalty or comment much on it at all.

I strongly suspect that the knee jerk overreactions from our club over incidents like this one, are indicative of a club which is suffering a degree of insecurity. It seems to me that our pre-occupation with how it will be received in the media, indicates to me we are led by people who forget we are a football club first and foremost, and a brand or franchise second or third.

Getting JDG to go off all booze, get a job and do community service should have been the end of it. FFS, the kid needs support and mentoring not marginalising and demonising.

We are a media slut club, way too interested in the opinions of pisshead journos.

Seriously, I'm not even interested in the start of the season now - as we have just shot ourselves in the foot.
so basically you dont think he has the balls to dig deep and make a stand, and get there for round 1?
Banning him indefinitely means he will definitely miss some games, regardless of how he responds. :cry:
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

RudeBoy wrote:
Getting JDG to go off all booze, get a job and do community service should have been the end of it. FFS, the kid needs support and mentoring not marginalising and demonising.
Spot on IMHO RudeBoy.
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:
think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:It's funny how different sports handle things.

When I'm not following the Pies I'm a great fan of Liverpool in the EPL. Before the current season began, one of their best players, Roberto Firmino, got busted for drink driving. It was dealt with by the police and courts, but his club Liverpool did not publicly impose any penalty or comment much on it at all.

I strongly suspect that the knee jerk overreactions from our club over incidents like this one, are indicative of a club which is suffering a degree of insecurity. It seems to me that our pre-occupation with how it will be received in the media, indicates to me we are led by people who forget we are a football club first and foremost, and a brand or franchise second or third.

We are a media slut club, way too interested in the opinions of pisshead journos.

Seriously, I'm not even interested in the start of the season now - as we have just shot ourselves in the foot.
so basically you dont think he has the balls to dig deep and make a stand, and get there for round 1?
Banning him indefinitely means he will definitely miss some games, regardless of how he responds. :cry:
it says until he proves himself, im hoping he really knuckles down
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

anyhow guys i guarantee he will be on a team list for round 1

ive penciled him in to be Jaryd Blairs personal water boy in Nicks 22!!
- and rudey, he already confirmed to me hes gunna get the, um, special dim sims, nudge nudge, wink wink!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
K

Post by K »

RudeBoy wrote:..

I can think of one incident in the past when I thought that the club was being dictated to by the media and hung a much more important player than JDG out to dry.

I don't see that having happened in this case. I think people who think that are underestimating the feelings of the players, who don't give a stuff about the brand or media or whatever. The players seem very annoyed at JDG.

In fact, on Stevie J, Marley Williams, et al., Pie fan Jake Niall wrote the following.
Jake Niall wrote:...
As some who've administered clubs observed, Collingwood's financial might and power affords it the luxury of making decisions without worrying about sponsor revolts.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Member 7167 wrote:The indefinite ban is absolute crap. As result both the club and the fans are penalised by fielding a weaker team each week. It is called cutting of your nose to spite your face.
A weaker team? nah the team will be stronger without this tool in it. Selfish, thoughtless, undisciplined flog!
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

E and others make excuses for JDG but he hasn't made excuses for himself. His offer to pay an additional $10,000 to charity is impressive. He's showing remorse and contrition. That 6 months without driving will keep that remorse and contrition uppermost in his mind, as will the drinking ban.

Collingwood has handled this firmly and professionally and ought to be commended for promoting a professional culture.

One day in the future, when JDG is running around the MCG with a premiership medal around his neck and he's asked what he ascribes his amazing fitness and professionalism to, he just might say that it was the foot up the backside that he got in 2018.
K

Post by K »

Harrysz wrote:E and others make excuses for JDG but he hasn't made excuses for himself. His offer to pay an additional $10,000 to charity is impressive. He's showing remorse and contrition. That 6 months without driving will keep that remorse and contrition uppermost in his mind, as will the drinking ban.

Collingwood has handled this firmly and professionally and ought to be commended for promoting a professional culture.

JDG may be showing remorse, but I'm pretty sure that $10k to charity idea did not come from him. It seems highly likely to me his manager proposed it as a way of trying to head off more severe actions from the club. (That's what managers are for.)
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Harrysz wrote:E and others make excuses for JDG but he hasn't made excuses for himself. His offer to pay an additional $10,000 to charity is impressive. He's showing remorse and contrition. That 6 months without driving will keep that remorse and contrition uppermost in his mind, as will the drinking ban.

One day in the future, when JDG is running around the MCG with a premiership medal around his neck and he's asked what he ascribes his amazing fitness and professionalism to, he just might say that it was the foot up the backside that he got in 2018.
Well said 8)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Just wondering will JDG be one of our VFL top up players for this Thursday's intraclub football practice match?
Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woods

Post by Woods »

To wrap up the day's events, here's an excellent summation of the De Goey issue in the context of Buckley and the season ahead.

Nathan Buckley could be forgiven for cursing the football gods as Jordan de Goey incident provides another distraction
by Tom Morris at Fox Sport

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nathan ... 0ed9893166
K

Post by K »

Robbo: "What will the AFLPA say?"

Quite frankly, I don't give a stuff what the AFLPA says.
K

Post by K »

Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Yep

Post by Hiss »

I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.